Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:25 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Jeremy Spencer about P. Green and musical "pictures"

Lately I bought a very nice CD - Jeremy Spencer - Bend In The Road.
Here is a quotation from Jeremy's description of a beautiful instrumental called Aphrodite:
In the early days of Fleetwood Mac, Peter Green and I, outside our blues passion, shared an understanding of painting musical "pictures". That is seeing the images in our minds' eyes that the music was depicting, especially in instrumentals.

How do you think which Greeny's and Jeremy's compositions are musical "pictures"?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowk View Post
Lately I bought a very nice CD - Jeremy Spencer - Bend In The Road.
Here is a quotation from Jeremy's description of a beautiful instrumental called Aphrodite:
In the early days of Fleetwood Mac, Peter Green and I, outside our blues passion, shared an understanding of painting musical "pictures". That is seeing the images in our minds' eyes that the music was depicting, especially in instrumentals.

How do you think which Greeny's and Jeremy's compositions are musical "pictures"?
Well, maybe "Underway" is a good example. I think the idea was to describe a boat/sailboat on its way. Peter's straight and clean tones representing the boat itself. Danny's chopping chords together with Mick's cymbals representing the waves crashing against the boat's gunwale.

Of course, it's easy to imagine the great albatross gliding far above the sea, when listening to "Albatross".

I read an interview with Peter in an old musical magazine (perhaps NME or MM)from around the time he left Fleetwood Mac. He said he'd been in the US during the winter, and had written a musical piece about the snow falling quietly in Chicago. Could have been the start of "Heavy Heart", but I'm only guessing wildly here...
Old 12-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
Well, maybe "Underway" is a good example. I think the idea was to describe a boat/sailboat on its way. Peter's straight and clean tones representing the boat itself. Danny's chopping chords together with Mick's cymbals representing the waves crashing against the boat's gunwale.
I've always taken it to refer to their LSD experiences in San Francisco( IE the drug beginning to take effect )rather than anything nautical !. I have never read this anywhere, it was just what I concluded at the time !
Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
I've always taken it to refer to their LSD experiences in San Francisco( IE the drug beginning to take effect )rather than anything nautical !. I have never read this anywhere, it was just what I concluded at the time !
I think it was mentioned in the Peter Green Biography (Martin Celmins) that the idea was to picture a boat and waves. And I do find it reasonable, as Danny and Mick indeed sound as "crashing waves" on that one.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Ledgie

Definitively are : Closing My Eyes, Man Of The World, Madge Sessions, and later Greeny painted beautiful musical postcard on Proud Pinto...i am not sure,but sound so Hawaiian??!!
Does anybody knows anything more about Proud Pinto song?

>>>>>>Where is Greeny?<<<<<
Old 12-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Little dreamer...
Old 12-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Regarding "Underway":

The Then Play On version is a little floaty (to stick with the nautical reference), but, I could very easily related to the "mind picture" thing when I read that it was Peter's idea of a nautical adventure. What really set it alight was hearing the entire 16 minute piece on Vaudeville Years where the nice little boating cruise turns into some "stormy seas" in the middle and then safely arriving back to the shore. (something along the lines of Smetana's "The Moldau" being a sonic river cruise through Bohemia & the Czech Republic.)
Old 12-06-2012, 03:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
...the entire 16 minute piece on Vaudeville Years where the nice little boating cruise turns into some "stormy seas" in the middle and then safely arriving back to the shore.
Beautiful.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Regarding "Underway":

The Then Play On version is a little floaty (to stick with the nautical reference), but, I could very easily related to the "mind picture" thing when I read that it was Peter's idea of a nautical adventure. What really set it alight was hearing the entire 16 minute piece on Vaudeville Years where the nice little boating cruise turns into some "stormy seas" in the middle and then safely arriving back to the shore. (something along the lines of Smetana's "The Moldau" being a sonic river cruise through Bohemia & the Czech Republic.)
and thinking about
nautical reference.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 73039_174178399258869_6006356_n.jpg (73.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

as usual thoughtful or looking ahead