Here is a link to an interview with Andy Powell:
http://dmme.net/interviews/ash.html
Old 11-25-2012, 01:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowk View Post
Here is a link to an interview with Andy Powell:
http://dmme.net/interviews/ash.html
I knew it!! Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest's influence indirectly came from Fleetwood Mac. FM predated the Allman Brothers in the states! In America no one knew who Wishbone Ash was in early 1970.

Thanks kowk!!! You have confirmed a "hypothesis" I've known to be true for a few years. Cheers good soul!

Andy Powell is lying!
Old 11-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think it says so in the article, but Ted Turner was very influenced by Peter Green . I remember reading an article- I think it was in the London Evening Standard -in which Ted was quoted as saying he saw Peter playing live (I think he said it was in Birmingham (England ) ) and that he was so moved it changed his life ! If you can say nothing else about Peter he certainly profoundly affected many young guitarists (me included )and his influence has continued through them !

Also ,not that it's really to do with Peter ,but the |Powell article mentions the Night of Guitars and as it happens I was there at the Hammersmith Odeon (now called the Hammersmith Apollo)¬ taking photos !
Old 11-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
I don't think it says so in the article, but Ted Turner was very influenced by Peter Green . I remember reading an article- I think it was in the London Evening Standard -in which Ted was quoted as saying he saw Peter playing live (I think he said it was in Birmingham (England ) ) and that he was so moved it changed his life ! If you can say nothing else about Peter he certainly profoundly affected many young guitarists (me included )and his influence has continued through them !

Also ,not that it's really to do with Peter ,but the |Powell article mentions the Night of Guitars and as it happens I was there at the Hammersmith Odeon (now called the Hammersmith Apollo)¬ taking photos !
not to be a skipping vinyl record with otherwise superior sonic qualities than a cd or mp3 (hi vinnie), also possibly related to sk's theory is that martin birch engineered the first 3 wishbone ash lps and produced all the 'classic' iron maiden, note quotation marks, as well as tpo to mtm for fm. more grist for a q&a : the influence of peter on metal

thd don't be shy post us a photo. z
Old 11-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero View Post

thd don't be shy post us a photo. z
Do you mean a photo of Wishbone Ash,or do you mean a photo from the Night of Guitars or do you mean a photo of me ?!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Do you mean a photo of Wishbone Ash,or do you mean a photo from the Night of Guitars or do you mean a photo of me ?!
right, ambiguous! i meant night of guitars andy and ted. z
Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To Hear is to obey,Oh Master !
However, please remember this happened in prehistoric times, consequently we were shooting on that ancient format Film!! This means , even if I can find the slide film strips I will have to scan them in, which is a pain in the ar....posterior region !
Also ,when I've added an attachment to a post here ,the size is drastically limited to something very small ,and it's a real chore to reduce the file size having to guess whether it's small enough !If anyone can give me a quick way of doing, this I will be internally grateful!
I noticed that some people are able to put bigger pics actually in the middle of the text. Could someone tell me how to do this please, as it's probably a better way !
Old 11-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:

I was huge WA fan growing up. I was lucky enough to catch them on the last tour of the first incarnation (Good thing, as TT was one of my favorite guitarists).

I recall him mentioning the PG influence as well in some US periodical (which one it was escapes me).
Old 11-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

One of the things that attracted me to Wishbone Ash in the beginning was their sound was similar to Fleetwood Mac's...even the vocals have a very "Danny Kirwan"-ness to them.