The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I won't continue to argue about a movie that clearly means a lot to people on here, I just wish you all knew that there were better American Hollywood, independent and foreign films with a variety of presentations of gay life way before Brokeback Mountain. And way way way better.

For more on my response to the Brokeback Mountain hype I refer you to my essay "Breaking Bread with the Movie Club" in my first book The Community of Desire (link below).

If you have Netflix streaming, here are some great-to-good gay films available:

1. The Witnesses (Andre Techine)
2. Happy Together (Wong Kar-Wai)
3. Yossi (Eytan Fox)
4. Camp (Todd Graff)
5. Kaboom (Gregg Araki)
6. The Bubble (Eytan Fox)
7. Boy Culture (Q. Allan Brocka)
8. The Doom Generation (Gregg Araki)
9. The Last of England (Derek Jarman)
10. Another Gay Movie (Todd Stephens)
11. Gayby (Jonathan Lisecki)

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Well I won't continue to argue about a movie that clearly means a lot to people on here, I just wish you all knew that there were better American Hollywood, independent and foreign films with a variety of presentations of gay life way before Brokeback Mountain. And way way way better.
I think it's just that BM was so mainstream. For whatever reason, it hit big and was seen by many. It could have been contrived, it could have been happenstance, but many never saw anything like it before, and really, the true aim of movies like this is not to entertain gay audiences - but rather to humanize gay people for straight audiences, and BM did a good job of that, overall.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 07-29-2014, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

For more on my response to the Brokeback Mountain hype I refer you to my essay "Breaking Bread with the Movie Club" in my first book The Community of Desire (link below).

If you have Netflix streaming, here are some great-to-good gay films available:

1. The Witnesses (Andre Techine)
2. Happy Together (Wong Kar-Wai)
3. Yossi (Eytan Fox)
4. Camp (Todd Graff)
5. Kaboom (Gregg Araki)
6. The Bubble (Eytan Fox)
7. Boy Culture (Q. Allan Brocka)
8. The Doom Generation (Gregg Araki)
9. The Last of England (Derek Jarman)
10. Another Gay Movie (Todd Stephens)
11. Gayby (Jonathan Lisecki)
I really LOOOOVE "Kaboom" and "The Doom Generation"! In fact, I love everything that Gregg Araki has made! One of my favorite directors. I love someone who can tap into such dark subject matter as "Mysterious Skin" and then completely take things in the opposite direction with "Smiley Face".
Old 07-29-2014, 08:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Beautiful Thing! A classic. It's British. Based on a play by Jonathan Harvey who is wonderful. His best work is the book for the Pet Shop Boys musical Closer to Heaven, which I would make into a movie if I ran Hollywood. Too bad Spielberg pals it up with that fraud Tony Kushner (Angels in America).
If you're a gay teenager in the UK, it's pretty much a legal requirement that watching "Beautiful Thing" is part of your coming out

I've seen that movie sooooooooo many times. I used to go to a gay youth group when I was..well..youth..and we watched it A LOT.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
I really LOOOOVE "Kaboom" and "The Doom Generation"! In fact, I love everything that Gregg Araki has made! One of my favorite directors. I love someone who can tap into such dark subject matter as "Mysterious Skin" and then completely take things in the opposite direction with "Smiley Face".
Check out my essay on a Gregg Araki retrospective in my new book Watch the Throne (link below)

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I watched Beautiful Thing a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Get Real is also a pretty good film.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Uuuugh.

I was stupid enough to read some of the comments section of a "coming out" youtube video.

I am genuinely so sad right now. How do gay youtubers handle all this crap?
Old 08-03-2014, 08:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Uuuugh.

I was stupid enough to read some of the comments section of a "coming out" youtube video.

I am genuinely so sad right now. How do gay youtubers handle all this crap?
The comments section on YouTube brings out the worst in a lot of people. Saying that, the people who upload their videos to YouTube about private and delicate matters can't expect everyone to be positive, the internet sadly doesn't work like that. If the comments left on a persons video bothers them that much they can easily disable them using their account settings. I know I'll probably get criticised for writing this, but one thing that annoys me about a lot of people in my generation is their urgency to talk about themselves and their lives openly on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Blogger, etc. I know that people uploading videos about being gay and coming out might help other people in the same situation, and this is obviously a good thing, but a lot of it just comes across as incredibly self-involved. There's a time and a place for things, YouTube isn't always it. I know if I was coming out I wouldn't want to sit in front of a camera and tell thousands or even millions of people about it, especially as the video could be seen by people I'd rather not see it. Each to their own.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb When you get your GAY on...?

Ok. I am in entertainment. I've been around the block a few times...I started on Romper Room, left the whole LA thing...lets just say Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and white and whisky is as lethal as Michele Bachmann finding out her Tax exempt cruise was a gay clothing optional drag wear only 10 days extravaganza...oh, and all she packed was Marcus and a semi automatic assault weapon.

So I worked in Public Relations, supporting seniors, doing the talking head during soap operas to bring awareness to a worthy cause...advocating for disabled folks, seniors...anyone that needed me as a voice...for truth...and volume...and not afraid to face bureaucrats at any level and if warranted I would praise them or expose their dirty rotten schemes...I've had public bouts and when I knew I was right....in my heart and with God etc...anybody that would screw with the very precious people we must protect....was/is/always will be "screwed".

Just wanted to paint a dramatic but true picture of myself. I'm a liberal but, far from a wing nut.

My in laws, and my guy is/was Republican. They seem to sweat when I'm around...I am pro all life...a mother shouldn't die on her kids or husband and family if she is having a lethal pregnancy...also, I'm pro life to take care of those that are all ready alive and in great need. I'm using politics to lead to my punchline.

I dig all kinds of people...we all wear many designer coats....no one has the same couture coat designed only for themselves...

Bring on the rain...

Many of my family members are politicians. Imagine our bbq parties during summer.

So, My Harvard Lawyer Sister comes to me recently and smirks asking me about, "when do you get your gay on? Excuse me?

Then...

She says to me...I will bet you are a heavy set southern woman of color with really big boobs behind that nosejob....

She should have shut up when she hit 'nosejob'.

So I layed it out. I love Pipi Longstockings, Pollyanna, Steel Magnolias, Beaches, I have a lot of antiques, I love anything by the Bronte' Sisters, Wuthering Heights makes me swoon...Does your husband prefer deep cherrywood, mahogony....nevermind...if your table or armoire is even wood...it's painted powder blue and red. Ack.

And yes...black ladies saved my soul in LA....they were from the South, they worked in a Beverly Hills Bar and Grill I would bartend at between gigs...I had birthday parties, love, respect....most importantly, I realized I was color blind, sexuality blind, mannerisms blind...but, I target bigots and bitches...

So, if yall wanna keep yo ass on ur back...best get on...or I'm goin ovah you...mmm hmmm.

My last line I mean no disrespect...I talks like this with the "girls" all the time...they're working on the Kennedy thing accent...you know....Boston and all....

This was a recent attempt at a selfie. Yup I'm so white I'm practically blue...nice bed head though...Stevie should be so jealous. I hate it...I have a few more weeks of long hair for my part...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bedhead.jpg (50.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Tina is not your friend, sweetie.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think if Helen of Troy were around today there would be comments on her facebook page about how ugly she is! If it were Albert Einstein they'd be calling him an idiot. I figured out a long time ago I don't need to have a page on facebook to be a 'face' (in the old Mod sense of the word).

Meanwhile in the real world... pride day/weekend in Vancouver seems to have been more positive and fun than ever!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb

I think you are all so special.

Yes, no one would even know who Helen was/is...if she came marching down main street.

I post on here sometimes because I have 2 friends I know in person.

There is sometimes a lack of dignity, respect and social graces....

Hell, it's not my wine and cheese spread....

I hear you about facebook. Too much. Someone usually takes care of keeping up with stuff on my page. The same lady takes care of my best friend's too. We're in a new show destined to burn during the Winter sweeps as production missed pilot season.

My part is not a stretch...I'm off beat. Kind. Polite, Daring, Funny, Sarcastic....and in Love...
Kind of a miracle show,,,,

I'll let everyone know the details.
I'll bet you're all gushing with anticipation....

I can play coy...

ala,,,sneak previews and hints from 24 karat gold Vault.

no one takes a step in vain.

If life is trudging uphill facing a bitter wind...

Leave the ceo title....

and get a job at the pink roller skating ice cream shop,,,,downwind, down hill, across the street from your house....

and let Wednesday be free coffee and a cone for a senior citizen that left us with all we have been blessed with,

Catch ya,
Old 08-08-2014, 02:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow. A few of these posts above me are about as coherent as the lyrics to Mabel Normand.

Is Stevie time travel posting here from 1985 as a practical joke?

She would probably make more sense.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default tounge in cheek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Wow. A few of these posts above me are about as coherent as the lyrics to Mabel Normand.

Is Stevie time travel posting here from 1985 as a practical joke?

She would probably make more sense.
or speaking in tounges...whatever.

nobody pays attention...I find it amusing.

social? media

Old 08-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
Tina is not your friend, sweetie.
readt lol