User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Arrow Sheryl Crow still wants to join Fleetwood Mac

Excellent interview with Sheryl on Howard Stern today. Here is a transcript. She was a friend of Prince which brought out the Stevie Stand Back story with Prince and then Howard asked about her joining Fleetwood Mac.

"You have to seize the moment, every opportunity, to tell the people that you care about that you care about them. And I wish I would have done that more," Sheryl said. She also bought into Howard's theory that Prince's personal injuries might have been caused by jumping around in his signature high heels. Stevie Nicks even once told her about playing basketball with Prince while he wore pumps.
Speaking of Stevie Nicks, Howard asked Sheryl about rumors she almost joined the band Fleetwood Mac. Sheryl revealed she was close to coming on as a new member but things simply didn't line up. "I wish I would've. I wish I could have," she said.
Howard heard it was longtime member Lindsey Buckingham who had a problem with inducting Sheryl into the band. "Well, I felt like if there was gonna be bad blood when I joined, that perhaps maybe I shouldn't. I didn't want to upset something that was already so beautiful," Sheryl said. "I would still love to do it. I'm putting it out there."

Both Robin and Howard joked that bad blood in Fleetwood Mac is not a bad thing since the band seemed to thrive on it
I would have loved to have seen Stevie play basketball with Prince. She mentioned it happened at Sunset Sound during the recording of Stand Back.

https://www.howardstern.com/show/201...ing-superstar/

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-18-2017 at 05:20 PM..
Old 04-18-2017, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just wondering why Lindsey had a problem with Sheryl joining the band? Is it just because it would be someone new?

Last edited by 24karatstevie; 04-18-2017 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-18-2017, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24karatstevie View Post
Just wondering why Lindsey had a problem with Sheryl joining the band? Is it just because it would be someone new?
She is a close friend of Stevie's.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:53 PM
Senior Ledgie

I think it was, "how would it work?" Would FM play Sheryl songs like a backing band? Would she step into Chris's songs? I remember seeing some interview where he could not wrap his head around how you could combine the two entities that were as big as they are.
I agree with him. It would have been clunky.

When you don't know what it is
But you can't get enough of it
Old 04-18-2017, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Sheryl but this would never have worked at that point in time. The "Buckingham Nicks " years of the MAC were great now it's time for the "return" of Buckingham McVie.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sheryl is a talented singer-songwriter and performer, but there's no way she would have worked in FM.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Freakazoid View Post
I think it was, "how would it work?" Would FM play Sheryl songs like a backing band?
Ask Dave Mason.

And, really, it's not like that would have been new. It's not like they didn't do Stand Back, HAEWAFY, Go Insane, Get Like You Used To Be, I'd Rather Go Blind, and Don't Let Me Down Again.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 04-18-2017 at 09:21 PM..
Old 04-18-2017, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It was a terrible idea, I'm glad he and whoever else didn't want it made sure it didn't happen.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Until Christine came back, Colbie Caillat would have been my pick. She had a few of her own hits, her voice could easily cover Christine's songs, and there's a natural connection with the band, although I didn't know how bad relations between Ken and the band had gotten.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-18-2017, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Agree 100%
Old 04-18-2017, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Agree 100 with those who are glad it didn't happen. For some reason my response didn't show where it thought it would.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

After a band breaks it big with a specific lineup and has a string of successes with that lineup, that lineup is seen as classic/definitive. Adding someone else to it, especially someone like Sheryl Crow who was already known for her own career, is bizarre in my opinion and a terrible idea regardless.
While I wasn't around back then, that's basically how I feel about what the band did in the late 80s throughout the 90s prior to The Dance. From my perspective, it was Mick milking the gravy train as far as he could take it.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I understand why Stevie wanted this. Christine had left and she wanted a friend in the band. But thankfully Lindsey's protest came through. I don't think Mick or John would have cared. Long term it would have really hurt the band and Lindsey could have left again and everything could have collapsed.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In an interview with Lindsey, he said that Stevie was the one who got upset when Sheryl started floating the idea in the media. He even said Stevie's friendship with Sheryl cooled for a while. This interview was collected in the book Fleetwood Mac on Fleetwood Mac by Sean Egan.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
In an interview with Lindsey, he said that Stevie was the one who got upset when Sheryl started floating the idea in the media. He even said Stevie's friendship with Sheryl cooled for a while. This interview was collected in the book Fleetwood Mac on Fleetwood Mac by Sean Egan.
Lindsey is on the record opposing this from the beginning. He did interviews where he openly objected to this. He even mocked the idea what her role would be... to do Christine songs?
Stevie was best friends with Sheryl. I think you have the story mixed up. It was Lindsey who heard about it in the media and got pissed and shot it down immediately. It was Stevie that offered it to Sheryl without consulting the rest of the band. Then it hit the media and Lindsey responded in the media.
Nice try

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-19-2017 at 07:30 AM..