Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Pics Of The Legendary Gold-Lamé Suit

here's one i've been thinking about for quite some time. also i couldn't find it being discussed here (unless it escaped me completely somehow).

as far as i can remember i've only ever seen 2 (in words: TWO) pictures where jeremy can be seen onstage wearing the (in)famous gold-lamé suit. both graced the inner spread of the 1971 cbs "greatest hits" compilation and are not too sharp / detailed to boot. could it really be that there's no more photographic documentary of this legendary stage outfit around or what . . . ?

now come on - someone PLEASE prove me wrong!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In researching the band, I often came across references to Spencer’s “Elvis impersonation” as part of their act from the beginning.
Yet, if that were true, how is it that these moments were never captured on tape?
It is possible that the tapers just didn’t bother recording that portion of the shows, but it seems strange, that no one recorded even a single song (at least not one that has been put into circulation).

To me, it seems more probable that people are actually referring to the band doing the “rock ‘n roll encores” (the Little Richard numbers that Green was so fond of ) – the first recordings that we have of those are from their first American tour (pre-Kirwan), and I don’t believe that Spencer changed clothes to do them; he and Green just played.

I think that the Earl Vincent character came about later, when the band began working on “Then Play On”.
The first recording that we have of ‘Teenage Darling’ is from December of 1969. And again, that is the only song we have of Spencer performing as Earl Vincent.
Unless, he was wearing the suit when singing and playing numbers such as ‘Great Balls of Fire’ and ‘Tiger’ but not performing as Earl Vincent.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 03-23-2017, 04:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

thanks for your reply, rich!

i'm not too sure about the actual songs jeremy performed wearing the suit - but indeed, i never thought about the aspect of changing clothes in this context. THOUGH . . . remember that jeremy wasn't even onstage for a considerable amount of songs dominated by peter green where he wouldn't contribute on slide guitar or maraccas. and he only played piano on rock'n'roll songs either. so i guess he had enough time to slip into that outfit.

furthermore there's the question at which point the gold-lamé suit had it's first introduction to the mac shows and for how long - was that a feature until spencer left the band?

so, jeremy - if you should read this . . .

apart from that i still can't understand why there are obviously so VERY few (as i said - i only know of two) pics from that part of the show. after all it must have been something of a sight, created quite a bit of a stir (and a laugh) and was talked about a lot.

talking of which - has anybody ever seen ONE SINGLE picture of the even more legendary harold (the dildo)?

Last edited by lazy poker; 03-23-2017 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 03-23-2017, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Any pictures of Harold on stage would be from a private collection; even if taken by a photographer sent to cover a show, no newspaper back then would have been allowed to run it, so it would be in the paper’s archives or part of the photographer’s library of unused photos.
Harold time with the band was apparently short lived and a few years before the rise of “underground” or alternative papers such as IT (International Times), Oz, and Friends. One of those may have been willing to run the risk just for the publicity value and the chance to poke the “establishment” in eye.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 03-23-2017, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well the only light I can cast on this is that he did the R&R thing at the Lyceum Ballroom gig -the April 1970 one (there was another one over a year before) This was the only concert out of the ones I saw, where there was a discreet section for this . What I do remember is Peter doing anouncement that they had a very special guest with them tonight and then the band went into a vamp waiting for the guest to come on which he didnt, so they kept on vamping till he did eventually come on . Now I don't truly remember if Jeremy had a special out fit on , but it would only need jacket a ,not the whole suit and any 50's jacket would do- perhaps Jeremy had a selection -but I feel he would have worn something special, otherwise why the big build up ?? I don't remember if he did Elvis ,but Id like to think he did ! Why wouldnt he,if it was a special section of the show ?I do remember it was just sensational As some very wise person here said, with this Fleetwood Mc line up you had three bands for the price of one, and I would sub divide this: with Jeremy you had two different acts for the price of one (on the occasions he chose to do this )As far as I know no tape of this concert has emerged, which is a great shame as this was the best concert by anyone that I have eve seen ! Dinky Dawson or someone seems to have recorded the other concerts in London around this time .Does this one exist somewhere ?I hope so !

Last edited by THD; 03-23-2017 at 10:55 AM..
Old 03-23-2017, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
talking of which - has anybody ever seen ONE SINGLE picture of the even more legendary harold (the dildo)?
No never ! But I have seen a lot of t
ribute acts in the windows of sex shops !
Old 03-24-2017, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
Any pictures of Harold on stage would be from a private collection; even if taken by a photographer sent to cover a show, no newspaper back then would have been allowed to run it, so it would be in the paper’s archives or part of the photographer’s library of unused photos.
Harold time with the band was apparently short lived and a few years before the rise of “underground” or alternative papers such as IT (International Times), Oz, and Friends. One of those may have been willing to run the risk just for the publicity value and the chance to poke the “establishment” in eye.
probably you're completely right, rich. but, hey! that was ages ago - we're in the next millennium now, and i couldn't care less about sources of a portrait of harold . . . i just want to see THAT scene: harold presented on a silver plate, as it was, by the mac's roadie. i'd even go as far as to offer a reward for an authentic snapshot!
Old 03-24-2017, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
No never ! But I have seen a lot of t
ribute acts in the windows of sex shops !

oh, come on, ffffffflip the bird to those tribute acts - where the heck is the real thing (you know what i mean)?
Old 03-24-2017, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Well the only light I can cast on this is that he did the R&R thing at the Lyceum Ballroom gig -the April 1970 one (there was another one over a year before) This was the only concert out of the ones I saw, where there was a discreet section for this . What I do remember is Peter doing anouncement that they had a very special guest with them tonight and then the band went into a vamp waiting for the guest to come on which he didnt, so they kept on vamping till he did eventually come on . Now I don't truly remember if Jeremy had a special out fit on , but it would only need jacket a ,not the whole suit and any 50's jacket would do- perhaps Jeremy had a selection -but I feel he would have worn something special, otherwise why the big build up ?? I don't remember if he did Elvis ,but Id like to think he did ! Why wouldnt he,if it was a special section of the show ?I do remember it was just sensational As some very wise person here said, with this Fleetwood Mc line up you had three bands for the price of one, and I would sub divide this: with Jeremy you had two different acts for the price of one (on the occasions he chose to do this )As far as I know no tape of this concert has emerged, which is a great shame as this was the best concert by anyone that I have eve seen ! Dinky Dawson or someone seems to have recorded the other concerts in London around this time .Does this one exist somewhere ?I hope so !
just as a reminder - here are the 2 (rather inferior) pix from the "greatest hits" compy (i'm not 100% sure about the 2nd one . . . but who else should it be, if not jeremy?!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeremy 1-1.jpg (82.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg jeremy 2-1.jpg (72.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-25-2017, 08:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I keep thinking I've seen another photo (in color) but I have no idea where it might have been from. I may just be hallucinating again...
Old 03-25-2017, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
I keep thinking I've seen another photo (in color) but I have no idea where it might have been from. I may just be hallucinating again...
ooouuhh - then, PLEASE, dig down deep for that, sharky . . . would be great if you could come up with it!

Last edited by lazy poker; 03-25-2017 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 03-26-2017, 08:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
ooouuhh - then, PLEASE, dig down deep for that, sharky . . . would be great if you could come up with it!
I'll see if I can find anything, lazy poker!

Edit: Well, I looked around and couldn't find anything - sorry. I may very well just have been thinking of the first photo you posted of Jeremy and imagined I'd seen it in color but now I suspect that's unlikely. Just my mind playing tricks on me, I'm afraid.

Last edited by sharksfan2000; 03-26-2017 at 03:26 PM..