The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Supporting Ledgie

That's true. I'm all for doing what you love, even if it means being paid a lesser salary. I've yet to find that gig, though.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
gig
There's your answer LittleD.

----------------------------------------------------------------
btw, it's way too hot in the South. I'd suggest finding
a better climate.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:43 AM
Supporting Ledgie

haha... what?
Old 03-26-2010, 05:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman408 View Post
Now now Carrie- don't be a playa hata!
you don't look like a playa from your pics~
Old 03-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringed n fab View Post
WHAT? that is crazy! I don't think I'll be leaving the country anytime soon.
which part of sarasota do you live in? my grandparents live in osprey
Old 03-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2677 View Post
I lived in Bradenton, Florida (right next door to Sarasota) for about a year and a half. I couldn't get out of that state fast enough. Hot as hell, minimal season changes, and very odd people.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2677 View Post

Cool I've been through Osprey a few times now, it's a nice little town. I live in southern Sarasota. Since being here I've been all up and down the coast to the beaches and towns from Sarasota to Punta Gorda which is across Charlotte Harbor. And you can be to anyone of them within minutes which is nice.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
I lived in Bradenton, Florida (right next door to Sarasota) for about a year and a half. I couldn't get out of that state fast enough. Hot as hell, minimal season changes, and very odd people.
Haven't been up to Bradenton yet. From prior research and people on the Florida Forum, they've talked about the high crime and it not being a place someone would really want to live but from what I know it is pretty, near the coast up there. Florida is hot, that's a given. The south is in general but I wanted a warmer climate and the plus side is (at least on the Gulf side) you can swim much longer into the year down here as the Gulf stays warm through late fall and early winter. Hell there are diehards here who were swimming and surfing when the Gulf temp was 55 degrees a couple months ago. I love it when it turns warm though when the water temps reach into the 80's in summer. I've yet to take a swim since being down here over the winter but I have walked the shoreline barefoot and sucked it up even though the water was quite cold. You can't come to Florida and not get in the water I think. From what I see, I see the same fellow Americans shopping and out and about doing everyday normal things just like where I came from up north. There are snowbirds in winter and tourists around Sarasota but the other beaches southward down the coast are less touristy and have more of a local feel about them from what I see. I agree with you that Florida is not for everyone but right now at the moment it's where I want to be. The Englewood beaches are nice too. So is Boca Grande further down the coast a few minutes.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Haven't been up to Bradenton yet. From prior research and people on the Florida Forum, they've talked about the high crime and it not being a place someone would really want to live but from what I know it is pretty, near the coast up there. Florida is hot, that's a given. The south is in general but I wanted a warmer climate and the plus side is (at least on the Gulf side) you can swim much longer into the year down here as the Gulf stays warm through late fall and early winter. Hell there are diehards here who were swimming and surfing when the Gulf temp was 55 degrees a couple months ago. I love it when it turns warm though when the water temps reach into the 80's in summer. I've yet to take a swim since being down here over the winter but I have walked the shoreline barefoot and sucked it up even though the water was quite cold. You can't come to Florida and not get in the water I think. From what I see, I see the same fellow Americans shopping and out and about doing everyday normal things just like where I came from up north. There are snowbirds in winter and tourists around Sarasota but the other beaches southward down the coast are less touristy and have more of a local feel about them from what I see. I agree with you that Florida is not for everyone but right now at the moment it's where I want to be. The Englewood beaches are nice too. So is Boca Grande further down the coast a few minutes.
I lived in Naples for about a year when I was 19. Bradenton was sometime in my very early twenties. I was working as a bartender/waitress and had a pretty traumatic experience that inevitably tainted my view of the state as a whole. I had a hard time making real friends, as it seemed most people I knew were transient.

I love the beach and the ocean; I imagine I would be okay living there as an adult. California seems more appealing, temperature wise, but way too expensive.

Enjoy the sandy beaches and warm breezes!
Old 03-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Cool I've been through Osprey a few times now, it's a nice little town. I live in southern Sarasota. Since being here I've been all up and down the coast to the beaches and towns from Sarasota to Punta Gorda which is across Charlotte Harbor. And you can be to anyone of them within minutes which is nice.
Oh, this is awesome. This is one are I've been looking at- possibly not Sarasota because isn't it a bit more touristy than some of the smaller coastal towns around there? Have you been to the Anna Maria area?
Old 03-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, this is awesome. This is one are I've been looking at- possibly not Sarasota because isn't it a bit more touristy than some of the smaller coastal towns around there? Have you been to the Anna Maria area?
You forgot to answer my question. I asked nicely.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
I lived in Naples for about a year when I was 19. Bradenton was sometime in my very early twenties. I was working as a bartender/waitress and had a pretty traumatic experience that inevitably tainted my view of the state as a whole. I had a hard time making real friends, as it seemed most people I knew were transient.

I love the beach and the ocean; I imagine I would be okay living there as an adult. California seems more appealing, temperature wise, but way too expensive.

Enjoy the sandy beaches and warm breezes!
I've heard Naples is a very uppity, snobbish retired class of people and they can be rude or feel deserving of anyone younger so I have yet to even go there. I can understand though you having a traumatic experience and that tainting your view of the entire state. I wanted to live in a residential suburb on a quiet street, the same as I lived in Ohio, but only with palm trees and spanish moss in my yard this time. And I found it down here. Florida has different areas with different feels depending on what lifestyle you're looking for if you're choosing to live down here. I like Florida for the weather and beaches and it being only 3 states below Ohio really so I can easily pack up and head up home again and be back in Ohio in 18 hours. California looks nice but it's not for me and it's VERY expensive (and overpriced) out there and way too far and I like Florida's water and white sand beaches.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sarasota can be touristy, especially during the winter when all the snowbirds come down from the north and people vacationing in the winter. Siesta Key is said to be one of the best beaches in the country, if not the world, known for it's fine sugar white sand. St. Armond's Circle in Sarasota as you go over to Lido Key attracts a lot of tourists and shoppers, some very wealthy too. This area is very pretty and beautiful especially at night as you're looking down the coast and all the condo's and high rises are lit up along the beach. And some of the gated million dollar homes along the beach are breathtaking.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't been to Anna Maria Island yet but I have been to Clearwater Beach before. I love the water and beaches around there.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailatixela View Post
Ethan, what subject and grade do you want to teach? Why do you want to teach?
To answer your question, I want to be a high school choir director, and potentially eventually get to a collegiate level.

I was inspired to get into the field from my high school director, who I've mentioned many times on here. He was one of those teachers that absolutely drives and required students to perform at their best. He's a very polar figure, but if you love him, he will be one of the biggest influences on your life. I want to be like that- and I have always enjoyed helping others.

Plus choral music is pretty great!