The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-25-2004, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Was anyone else a tad dissapointed with the new album?

I hate to be the one to bring this up because I love, love, love Christine, but I thought In the Meantime was a bit dull in places. I mean, when a song was good it was very, very good but some of the bad songs just didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy or make me want to sing along like Christine's songs used to. I had really high hopes for this record and even had it express shiped from England. I just don't think it is that great.

However, I will say that Friend and You Are are fantastic and are on par with any of her classic songs- they certainly picked the right singles.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 08-25-2004, 08:01 PM

Yes and no. I really love this album, but I too have problems.

What I love

the lyrics
the singles
the vocals
10 of 12 songs (calumny and bad journey so sincere very good songs)
the concept
the photography
the harmonies

what i didn't like

jamn a little more for christ sake!
where's the piano?
solo a little !!!!! please you're a keyboard player (anything is possible is very cool, but don't tease me like S Nicks!!! extend it out)
get rid of liar
too many repeating chorus
and melodies too simple in places

I still give it an A-, but I'm a fan of hers so I'm biased. I hope she does another she is a beautiful lady who knows what unlucky in love means! I feel her company!
Old 08-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No, I'm not disappointed at all. It sounds great to me and I'll enjoy it for many more years to come. I guess you'd be disappointed if you were expecting something radically different from her. I'd be disappointed if IT WAS something radically different. I just love her style of music and her unique voice. I can only hope she puts out some more songs, somewhere, somehow.

Old 08-25-2004, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
solo a little !!!!! please you're a keyboard player (anything is possible is very cool, but don't tease me like S Nicks!!! extend it out)
Is this right, would you say?

Last Decent Recorded Christine Solo: Roll With Me, Henry
Old 08-25-2004, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsnake
I hate to be the one to bring this up because I love, love, love Christine, but I thought In the Meantime was a bit dull in places.
Well, I'm not going to agree with you for fear of being blasted right off the board. Last time I posted about Christine's album, I think I got a strike.

But I will say that I'd like to hear Christine's vocal & instrumental tracks from the new album by themselves.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I've yet to hear the entire album, because I'm (impatiently) waiting for the American release.

I like what I've heard in the snippets though, and I love the full-length "You Are" that I've heard.

Every album has several songs I love, and one or two that I'm indifferent towards... so I doubt 'In The Meantime' will be different. But overall I expect that I'll be very pleased with the album.

I'm like Joe, in that I love Christine's established style, and I'm not expecting or wanting her to take on any radical departures. If she felt she needed to, that'd be her right... but if she doesn't, then it's all the better for me!

There's something to be said for finding what it is that you do best, and perfecting it over the years.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd
No, I'm not disappointed at all. It sounds great to me and I'll enjoy it for many more years to come. I guess you'd be disappointed if you were expecting something radically different from her. I'd be disappointed if IT WAS something radically different. I just love her style of music and her unique voice. I can only hope she puts out some more songs, somewhere, somehow.

Well I wasn't expecting anything radically different... It is just that some songs have sloppy writting or uninteresting writting. Like I said, 2 or 3 songs are amazing but the rest aren't as catchy (for lack of a better term) as Christine's songs are generally known for.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 08-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't heard it, either. I'm not sure if I'll buy it when it comes out. But maybe. I go back and forth on her stuff with Fleetwood Mac; I'm not a big fan of that overly sunny, adult contemporary pop, but I enjoy some of her songs with the band. What I've heard of In the Meantime doesn't sound bad, it just doesn't really catch my ear. I was initially excited by the prospect of her doing a solo album...I guess I thought it would be kind of a bluesy piano thing. But now I'm more interested in hearing the remastered Christine Perfect album, whenever that's coming out.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd

I completely agree. This album was pretty much what I expected it to be. I'm still listening to it on a regular basis 2 months after I got it & I'm not tired of it at all. She's not going to change her style after 30 some years which I'm very happy about. I think it's a terrific mellow pop record that has a slightly bluesy feel to it. If you want to listen to a noisy, loud rock album with lots of boring, endless guitar solos, this album isn't for you. I don't mind that there's not more jamming, but then I'm not a musician. I tend to focus more on the melody & vocals when I listen to music & I think Christine's voice is the best it's ever been. The only complaint that I have is I would have liked some piano on the album. I LOVE piano solos. But, that's a minor complaint. I'd give the album an A, although I'm certainly biased. I hope she records again sometime. A blues album with the focus on her piano would be terrific, although I'd be happy with anything.

Last edited by macfan 57; 08-26-2004 at 07:07 AM..
Old 08-26-2004, 08:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wasn't disapointed, I actually haven't got much of a will-power and wasn't able to keep myself from listening to a few clips, so basily it was as I expected, even a little better, I must say.

I like the album a lot, it still is a regular on my cd-player after about two months. I didn't expect her to change, she is good at what she does and I like her 'style'. I actually find a few songs extremely catchy and find myself singing (very badly) along.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:50 AM
Ledgie

Yup, you sure can't please everybody, especially in this day of immediate satisfaction and one-song-per-artist-downloading. Stevie herself said, "It isn't about art anymore". How right she is.

An album is a collection of an artists work. Not everything is going to please everybody. But a true artist works for themselves, not you or me. If we like what an artist does then that's icing on the cake for the artist. I'm glad Christine didn't sell out or cater to please certain people.

And this is how I look at it; Christine didn't have to do anything at all! If that had happened there wouldn't be anything new of hers to enjoy!

I love the album, I love Christine's voice. Not every single song works for me but I couldn't be happier. Like I've said before, if this cd were vinyl I'd have to replace it already.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=jbrownsjr]
get rid of liar
QUOTE]

that's madness!! madness i tell you!! i absolutely adore 'liar', and i would be heartbroken if it wasn't on the album.

but getting back to the subject at hand, no i was not disappointed with ITM. on a happiness scale of 1 to 10, i feel i am at about 8 with the album.

the one and only thing that nags me a bit is the uniformity of the production. i feel that some of the songs simply don't sound as if they're quite finished. that doesn't take away from them being wonderful songs, it just means i think there's room for evolution.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:48 PM

[QUOTE=Aisling]
Quote:
get rid of liar
QUOTE]

that's madness!! madness i tell you!! i absolutely adore 'liar', and i would be heartbroken if it wasn't on the album.

but getting back to the subject at hand, no i was not disappointed with ITM. on a happiness scale of 1 to 10, i feel i am at about 8 with the album.

the one and only thing that nags me a bit is the uniformity of the production. i feel that some of the songs simply don't sound as if they're quite finished. that doesn't take away from them being wonderful songs, it just means i think there's room for evolution.
Liar is finally starting to grow on me. But it could be so much more!!
Old 08-26-2004, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Liar is finally starting to grow on me. But it could be so much more!!
for me, it was the first song that immediately stood out on the album. it used to be my favourite. now i love forgiveness best.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
for me, it was the first song that immediately stood out on the album. it used to be my favourite. now i love forgiveness best.
I love the way she ends forgiveness!!! Again, she could have done some really cool vocals here and actually closed the whole album with that song.

Minor stuff however.