User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Good point. Does Stevie go around saying "lover" often? Not really. It's too directly sexual. Even in songs. I mean she has said lover (Nightmare) but even in lyrics she's more often to say "you're not my love" than to say "lover."

Michele
she calls everything "love" ...... from her multi-year living together relationship with Lindsey to a shag on the road to a six week fling. Covers a lot of ground, that love.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[from an article on Bowie]

How David Bowie Avoided the Cliché of the Aging Rock Star

Bowie managed to resist the cult of youth that later trapped Mick Jagger and others of their generation.

By Marissa Brostoff January 21, 2016 New Republic

https://newrepublic.com/article/1281...ging-rock-star

before September 11, 2001, and the discursive shifts it entailed, cultural critic John Strausbaugh published a book that revealed perhaps more than it intended to about the politics of this mockery. Rock Till You Drop is a polemic with a simple thesis. “Rock is youth music,” Strausbaugh writes. “It is best played by young people, for young people, in a setting that is specifically exclusionary of their parents and anyone their parents’ age.” Much of what follows are bellicose descriptions cataloging the “horrifically aged bodies” of fellow baby boomers like Eric Clapton (“paunchy and chinless, bearded and burghermeisterly”) and Stevie Nicks (“stuffed like a sausage into some girdle, her pancake makeup thick and hard as china”—perfect fodder, he snickers, for the drag queens who adopted her as an icon). Proudly though not inventively offensive, Strausbaugh uses age to legitimize the disparagement of bodies the world’s most conventional male gaze would prefer not to alight upon.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default offensive

So it was OK for David Bowie to "age" , but not Stevie?? Because he remained "drugged out" thin? How absurd!
Old 01-22-2016, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I totally ignore views such as these because if you think about it, probably only one in a million people would agree with it. Therefore it's irrelevant and shouldn't bother anyone....idiot.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
I totally ignore views such as these because if you think about it, probably only one in a million people would agree with it. Therefore it's irrelevant and shouldn't bother anyone....idiot.
exactly. nothing to get worked up about, except unfortunately it's not just 1 in a million people holding unfortunate views like that.

and you can find examples of Bowie being disparaged for being "fat" or looking "ragged" after his heart attack such as if you read some of the comments here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIFmNRDuM3Y - although turns out it was just a costume for a particular performance and that he performed 5 mins later with Arcade Fire at that same show looking completely different - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-wEBmLht5g

about "drugged out", Bowie was very clear that he used to be drugged out and alcoholic and that's why he wasn't drinking even a drop alcohol his last 20+ (or more) years.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 01-22-2016 at 12:05 PM..
Old 01-22-2016, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie Nicks (“stuffed like a sausage into some girdle, her pancake makeup thick and hard as china”—perfect fodder, he snickers, for the drag queens who adopted her as an icon).
Denver had a booming drag scene from 1992 all the way through the new millennium, and I WISH there had been Stevie drag queens.

But I am glad she gave up those awful late-80's era corsets she wore.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-23-2016, 12:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an interview with the band PWR BTTM]

The Bay Bridge By Erika Delgado|January 22, 2016

http://thebaybridged.com/2016/01/22/...world-glitter/

TBB: What are some bands that you are currently excited about and the bands you want everyone to go listen to right now?

LB: I haven’t listened to anything but Stevie Nicks’s songs with Fleetwood Mac for at least a week. BUT, some bands that I really think are worth checking out right now are: S, Sashay, andGemma.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
[From an interview with the band PWR BTTM]

The Bay Bridge By Erika Delgado|January 22, 2016

http://thebaybridged.com/2016/01/22/...world-glitter/

TBB: What are some bands that you are currently excited about and the bands you want everyone to go listen to right now?

LB: I haven’t listened to anything but Stevie Nicks’s songs with Fleetwood Mac for at least a week. BUT, some bands that I really think are worth checking out right now are: S, Sashay, andGemma.
Story of my life!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From a review of Robert Coe's book, "Jock"]

Let's Run.com By Jonathan Gault January 26, 2016

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2016/01/...nford-60s-70s/

The famous names went well beyond track, however. Coe roomed with John Ferris, at that time already a two-time Olympic bronze medalist swimmer, and lived at the Beta fraternity house, where he crossed paths with all sorts of Olympians and NFL draft picks. He rolled joints for the football team’s defensive line, which, with Heisman winner Jim Plunkett at the helm, would win Stanford’s first Rose Bowl in 30 years (as you might expect from a work subtitled “A Memoir of the Counterculture,” Coe freely discusses sex and drug use, though it does not overwhelm the book). There are even appearances from a young Stevie Nicks, who played concerts on Beta’s front steps, and Sally Ride, who Coe recalls seeing (or perhaps imagining) while tripping on mescaline.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The RIAA is currently trending on Twitter because of the news that they are now including streaming in their certifications. The first article that pops up when you click the trend features a random gold disc on a wall and guess what it is?! It's Rock a Little! Out of all the gold or platinum discs that the RIAA has given out, that one was used. Great.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[from an article on ohboy]

Never Enough Notes,  Kimberley-Marie Sklinar Green  February 4, 2016

Why I chose ‘Sara’ by Fleetwood Mac, by Meg (guitar/vocals)

“My Mum is a huge Fleetwood Mac fan and this is her favourite song. Through hearing it countless times on our car stereo as a kid, it became one of my faves too! Plus Stevie Nicks is a deluxe babe.”

Read more: http://www.neverenoughnotes.co.uk/20...#ixzz3zMQc0KSF
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives
Follow us: @neverenoughnote on Twitter | neverenoughnotes on Facebook
Old 02-06-2016, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an article on Kim Gordon]

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/01/list...m-gordon.html#.

Listening to Stevie Nicks With Kim Gordon and Daryl K

The women browse the huge record collection in the house where they're shooting, stopping occasionally to play an album. Gordon jokingly looks for covers with '70s, California vibes, "something denim-y" to match their outfits. Finding various all-male acts like the Allman Brothers and Donovan, she says quietly, almost to herself, "How about some women?" After searching for a Runaways record to no avail, she settles on Rita Coolidge's self-titled album and plays "Born Under a Bad Sign," before moving on to Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. "I met Stevie once ," she tells Kerrigan. "She was so down-to-earth." It’s a sweet moment from someone who must have inspired that same comment in legions of fans herself. Even icons have their icons.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[excerpt from an article lauding vinyl records. Was the band the Eagles? Well, they weren't just a "big enough deal" in 1977, they were/are big for decades. The way she phrased it, I imagine a band that was only hot for a shorter period of time]

The News and Observer BY JESSE JAMES DECONTO, 2/11/2016

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/loc...e59816496.html

So we’re listening to a slightly warped edition of Three Dog Night’s “Harmony” ($2), and my mom picks up “Rumours” in its sleeve. It came out in 1977, the same year I was born. My parents were friends with a pretty famous rock band back in the ’70s. They shall remain nameless, but they were a big enough deal that members of KISS were backstage at a show in New York City that year, and my mom was there too.

“Is that Stevie Nicks?” she asks, looking at the photo of the singer and Mic Fleetwod in their ballerina shoes on the cover.

She goes on to tell us how she started talking with one of her friends in the unnamed band, and he started bragging about his relationship with Stevie Nicks.

My mother was 24 and I was a few months old, her first child, and her friend didn’t bother to ask about me.

“Who gives a s--- about Stevie Nicks?” my mom says. “I just had a baby!”

I don’t know the last time my mom made me laugh so hard.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/loc...#storylink=cpy
Old 02-13-2016, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
[excerpt from an article lauding vinyl records. Was the band the Eagles? Well, they weren't just a "big enough deal" in 1977, they were/are big for decades. The way she phrased it, I imagine a band that was only hot for a shorter period of time]

The News and Observer BY JESSE JAMES DECONTO, 2/11/2016

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/loc...e59816496.html

So we’re listening to a slightly warped edition of Three Dog Night’s “Harmony” ($2), and my mom picks up “Rumours” in its sleeve. It came out in 1977, the same year I was born. My parents were friends with a pretty famous rock band back in the ’70s. They shall remain nameless, but they were a big enough deal that members of KISS were backstage at a show in New York City that year, and my mom was there too.

“Is that Stevie Nicks?” she asks, looking at the photo of the singer and Mic Fleetwod in their ballerina shoes on the cover.

She goes on to tell us how she started talking with one of her friends in the unnamed band, and he started bragging about his relationship with Stevie Nicks.

My mother was 24 and I was a few months old, her first child, and her friend didn’t bother to ask about me.

“Who gives a s--- about Stevie Nicks?” my mom says. “I just had a baby!”

I don’t know the last time my mom made me laugh so hard.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/loc...#storylink=cpy

well who was she hanging with in a band n 1977? Heartbreakers... they weren't THE HEARTBREAKERS as in major major stars then but were definitely happening....

Wondering who else we might not know about.....
Old 02-21-2016, 12:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.nationalrockreview.com/in...mith-of-biters

National Rock Review by Adam Kennedy 20-Feb-2016

[Tuk Smith of Biters on Stevie]

NRR: If you could collaborate with anyone in particular who would be your dream collaboration?

Tuk: I get this stuff all the time. It’s weird because do you want to collaborate with somebody that you really, really love but they aren’t as relevant today or do you want to collaborate with somebody who is more relevant now that could help your career. You know in a perfect world, for some reason I tell people this, I’m obsessed with music that came out way before I was born, I don’t know why I’m so attracted to 60’s/70’s music, I might have been a rockstar in the 70’s that died and then reincarnated, I don’t know but you know.

I love 70’s Stevie Nicks, I would love to collaborate with her, Phil, Tom Petty, ****in’ Bonn Scott, I would love to do a track with Marc Bolan, you know. It would nice to do a track with Axl because I’m just as redneck and I think in Axl’s prime, which I would call my prime I could probably take him in a street fight. I’m just kidding (laughing).