Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Boston Herald Interview

October 13, 2008, Boston Herald
By John Treacy

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertai...25365&srvc=rss

Label’s support a ‘Gift’ for Lindsey Buckingham

When it comes to Fleetwood Mac’s Lindsey Buckingham, his record label is willing to take his bitter with his sweet.

Since 1981, Buckingham has alternated Jekyll-and-Hyde-like between Fleetwood Mac’s palatable pop and dark solo albums that portray a man on the brink of madness. His ability to deliver consistently marketable music with the Mac has earned him carte blanche with longtime label Warner Bros./Reprise when it comes to his solo recordings, a highly unusual situation in tight times like these.

His latest, “Gift of Screws” - which brings him to Northampton’s Calvin Theater Tuesday and the Berklee Performance Center on Friday - is more rocking than 2006’s hushed “Under the Skin” and even hints at contentedness. But make no mistake: The menacing split-personality element remains.

Buckingham, 59, spoke to the Herald from his Los Angeles home about the crumbling music industry, the future of Fleetwood Mac and those rumors about Sheryl Crow.

Herald: The cover shot for “Gift of Screws” shows you looking pretty ragged. Were you attempting to send a message?

Buckingham: Nothing in particular other than just being honest. It definitely shows some of the wear and tear. Warner Bros. wasn’t crazy about it. They felt it was too intense, too confrontational. I think someone over there even called it a mug shot (laughs). Ultimately we had to override their concerns.

Overriding Warner is a recurring theme in your career, yet the label stands by you time and again. Does that surprise you?

Well, they were definitely more excited about “Gift of Screws” than the last album, since I think this one possibly has broader appeal. It’s one thing to say they’re enthusiastic. It’d be another for them to expect substantial commercial results. There’s no track record of me selling solo projects.

Is there a feeling of being insulated from the industry’s demise that allows you to keep following your muse?

I’m fortunate to be part of a big machine like Fleetwood Mac that can generate plenty of income. We’ve already experienced an arc of popularity and still have a built-in audience. So, yes, I do feel a certain amount of protection from it. Certainly it’d be much more unnerving to be a 25-year-old just getting started under these circumstances. Personally, I feel like I’m at an all-time creative high, so this is a very rewarding period for me.

What was the deal with Sheryl Crow saying she’d joined Fleetwood Mac?

That was ridiculous. Without Christine McVie, I think Stevie (Nicks) really missed the additional feminine element on the last tour. This led to some very hypothetical discussions about how we might remedy that and Sheryl’s name came up. Next thing you know she’s opened her mouth and announced she’s joining Fleetwood Mac, which led to some contentious phone calls between the two ladies (laughs). The positive outcome of all that is that we got talking again. The core four will begin rehearsals in January for a tour that’ll start in spring. Afterwards, if all goes well, well probably make a new record.

Lindsey Buckingham, at the Calvin Theater, Northampton, Tuesday night. Tickets: $35-$45;800-THE-TICK. At Berklee Performance Center, Friday. Tickets: $46.50-61.50; 617-931-2000.