Old 06-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re-evaluating End of the Game

Mojo's Blog lists the album as "Disc of the Day"

http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2010/06/peter_green.html
Peter Green
The End Of The Game
(Reprise, 1970)

Is it time to reappraise the Fleetwood Mac man's freeform guitar burnout?

In the most recent MOJO profile of Peter Green, in November 2008, his debut solo album was dismissed in passing as "a mainly instrumental solo album that nobody bought." Look for more information on the All Music Guide and you'll find The End Of The Game described as "incoherent drivel from an immensely talented guitarist. Sad." I beg to differ. Released in June 1970, The End Of The Game arrived barely a month after Green's farewell to Fleetwood Mac, the LSD-infused 7" riff attack of The Green Manalishi, had hit the top ten. The album was, however, born in the trauma of the Mac's European tour earlier that year.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default good catch

this post on MOJO deserves to get a little buzz going

some people are not receptive to anything that does not conform to expectations

It may be that Peter's life could have taken a different tack had only the right ears in in the music community been listening
maybe not, but we will never know

doodyhead, mel and vinnie
Old 06-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Ledgie

Default Re-evaluating The End of the Game

Over the years I've read several interviews with the other musicians that were involved in that session, they both agree and disagree about almost evertyhing that happened that day. But the two things that they all agreed upon is that what Peter did that day was years ahead of it's time, and that the best of Peter's playing ended up on the cutting room floor. With this in mind, I've often wondered if the tape that wasn't used was stored as is the common practice with a large recording label like Reprise.
Some ten years ago or so, Peter was supposed to have said that it would be interesting to take another look at this album and maybe add some over-dubs. Has anyone heard anything futher regarding a possible End of the Game II?
Old 06-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd read something a few years back that there was an expanded two-disc "Deluxe Edition" in the works. Obviously, that has fallen through the cracks.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Ledgie

Default Through the cracks

Like so many of P.G.'s projects over the years, unfortunately. Thanks for the input, a 2 disc deluxe edition would be sure to include the unused material, probably the closest we would ever get to the Munich tapes style jamming.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Morris View Post
Like so many of P.G.'s projects over the years, unfortunately. Thanks for the input, a 2 disc deluxe edition would be sure to include the unused material, probably the closest we would ever get to the Munich tapes style jamming.
great thread!

and a deluxe edition could include the reprise singles of that time (beast of burden, heavy heart, and the b sides) that as far as i know haven't been compiled on a legit cd or vinyl release

i still hold out hope that there is a decent recording of peter playing live during this period of his poorly documented free form glory. that would be something to hear though it might make zero's head explode with joy

zero

Last edited by mzero; 06-10-2010 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: typos!
Old 06-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Ledgie

Default End of the Game re-issue

I was never sure if those tracks were intended to be part of the End of the Game or part of another album. I've been told that the End of the Game is a loose theme album on the life and death of a jungle cat. This is not something that I have confirmed, but if true, I'm sure that the those songs would have been a good fit.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Morris View Post
I was never sure if those tracks were intended to be part of the End of the Game or part of another album. I've been told that the End of the Game is a loose theme album on the life and death of a jungle cat. This is not something that I have confirmed, but if true, I'm sure that the those songs would have been a good fit.
I'm sure you're right that those were meant to be stand alone recordings but more because of chronology a reissued EOTG is the best, and label/legal wise, really the only, place those can be placed as bonus tracks.

I thought I heard something about PG wanting to re-visit this and that's fine if they just release what exists in the vaults from those sessions but not personally being a fan of "changing history" I hope if it ever does happen that they don't do any overdubbing on them.

John
Old 06-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
...that's fine if they just release what exists in the vaults from those sessions but not personally being a fan of "changing history" I hope if it ever does happen that they don't do any overdubbing on them.

John
That's what has kind of ruined the recent reissue of the Stones Exile On Main Street album for me. I read where Mick & Keith tweaked a few things in the studio while remixing the album.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
I'm sure you're right that those were meant to be stand alone recordings but more because of chronology a reissued EOTG is the best, and label/legal wise, really the only, place those can be placed as bonus tracks...

John
thanks john, that is the way i remember it too...that end of the game and the singles were on all on reprise as just as then play on had been. its interesting, remembering that pete was under contract to clifford davies during this period, somehow much later, his ex wife mich ended up with the trove of studio then play on era outtakes that make up much of the 'vaudeville years'. i wonder if mich reynolds has any of the end of the games sessions?

i'm sure that em and john are correct that the singles were separate later recordings with mostly different personnel. despite that and ignoring the contractual issues they are more similar to end of the game than to fleetwood mac or the eventual follow up in the skies. but definitely not very similar to anything, i will give you that!

i do understand em's desire to have a pure end of the game reissue. that would be cool. i was thinking selfishly, actually. i don't have good copies of the singles as i do have for end of the game. eotg it is relatively easy to find. does anyone know if the singes are available anywhere outside of bootlegs or vintage 45's?

zero
Old 06-11-2010, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default TPO before EOTG

The real crime is Warner Brothers stopped their Fleetwood Mac reissue series with "FM (self-titled, 1975)", "Rumours", and "Tusk".

"Then Play On" deserves proper treatment for a re-issue. It needs a second disc to include the songs that were not on the U.S. release, with corrected edit of "Oh Well Part 2".

Without this album, there is no future to Fleetwood Mac. Forget Bob Welch, Dave Walker, or the duo from California.

I agree with "End of the Game" getting a facelift, but unless TPO gets proper treatment, EOTG needs to wait in line.

Last edited by slipkid; 06-11-2010 at 12:19 AM..
Old 06-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
The real crime is Warner Brothers stopped their Fleetwood Mac reissue series with "FM (self-titled, 1975)", "Rumours", and "Tusk".

"Then Play On" deserves proper treatment for a re-issue. It needs a second disc to include the songs that were not on the U.S. release, with corrected edit of "Oh Well Part 2".

Without this album, there is no future to Fleetwood Mac. Forget Bob Welch, Dave Walker, or the duo from California.

I agree with "End of the Game" getting a facelift, but unless TPO gets proper treatment, EOTG needs to wait in line.

+1
Old 06-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
What could they do with TPO that hasn't been covered by the Vaudeville Years and ShowBiz Blues sets (other than including Jeremy Spencer's first "solo" album)?
Old 06-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
What could they do with TPO that hasn't been covered by the Vaudeville Years and ShowBiz Blues sets (other than including Jeremy Spencer's first "solo" album)?
Once again ChiliD is right........

So let's go for "The End Of The Game"........

Mario.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The End of The Game would be a prime choice for a re-issue with bonus tracks, but I'd agree that Then Play On should be re-issued if only to improve on the sound quality of the current CD release.