The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #946  
Old 04-12-2007, 12:47 AM
Für Elise's Avatar
Für Elise Für Elise is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
deathmetal is about shock value and pushing music to the extremes.
punk is about pushing societies to extremes. god save the queen was one of the most truthful songs that came out of the era cause it reflected britain at the time and the future of kids being left being and who wouldn't want to jump around and maybe onto a drum kit 'cause of that? plus punk has that old time sound thats so much nicer to listen to than screaming on keys that might as all be one key cause you cant even tell.

the kkk took my baby away. I start bopping my head already
Reply With Quote
  #947  
Old 04-12-2007, 01:11 AM
xdreamsunwindx's Avatar
xdreamsunwindx xdreamsunwindx is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Shitsburgh
Posts: 2,575
Default

I don't know, there's nothing more "**** you" than a good punk rock record. Lots of people think that The Ramones, The Clash, and The Pistols were the only bands to come out of the punk rock scene, but there are many more that are just as great. Take for instance, The Avengers, one of the bands from the LA punk scene of the late 70s/early 80s. Songs like "Thin White Line," "Cheap Tragedies," and "Corpus Christi" pack more punch in a catchy punk tune than anything I've ever heard. Also, X has been consistent with their political punk/rockabilly style. Exene Cervenka may be tiny, but she could kick anyone's ass if she had to. And don't even get me started on The Stooges and The MC5. Nothing in the world will ever top the energy and passion those two groups turned into records.

I've never really heard anything woe-as-me come from a good punk rock band. Except maybe "Singles Going Steady" from The Buzzcocks, but that's a damn good album so I can't hold it against them.

I'll always be completely devoted to punk rock. I gotta agree with Fur here, you absolutely cannot compare the two. Punks and metalheads will never get along. I think it's written in the bible somewhere
__________________
- the ayatollah of rock n rolla
Reply With Quote
  #948  
Old 04-12-2007, 01:23 AM
Für Elise's Avatar
Für Elise Für Elise is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdreamsunwindx View Post
I don't know, there's nothing more "**** you" than a good punk rock record. Lots of people think that The Ramones, The Clash, and The Pistols were the only bands to come out of the punk rock scene, but there are many more that are just as great. Take for instance, The Avengers, one of the bands from the LA punk scene of the late 70s/early 80s. Songs like "Thin White Line," "Cheap Tragedies," and "Corpus Christi" pack more punch in a catchy punk tune than anything I've ever heard. Also, X has been consistent with their political punk/rockabilly style. Exene Cervenka may be tiny, but she could kick anyone's ass if she had to. And don't even get me started on The Stooges and The MC5. Nothing in the world will ever top the energy and passion those two groups turned into records.

I've never really heard anything woe-as-me come from a good punk rock band. Except maybe "Singles Going Steady" from The Buzzcocks, but that's a damn good album so I can't hold it against them.

I'll always be completely devoted to punk rock. I gotta agree with Fur here, you absolutely cannot compare the two. Punks and metalheads will never get along. I think it's written in the bible somewhere
theres more irony too punk too. more than with metal with is more self indulgent suicidal me kind of thing. punk is just damn and sometimes takes the piss out of the suicidal thing
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:32 AM
estranged4life
This message has been deleted by estranged4life.
  #949  
Old 04-12-2007, 03:27 PM
estranged4life's Avatar
estranged4life estranged4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Mannford, OK
Posts: 13,898
Default

How much I hate MSN. They are having technical difficulties so I cannot log into my regular account - So I had to get online by going through an account I rarely use (I have nothing saved in the folders on this account other than the Ledge)

Frikkin' MSN
Reply With Quote
  #950  
Old 04-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Sarah's Avatar
Sarah Sarah is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Hell's Half Acre
Posts: 2,826
Default

i am thinking that i am incredibly bored and there is no interesting conversation going on here at this point.

somebody, please. liven this place up.. without bitching about something completely ridiculous.
__________________
Yup. I'm in hell.
Reply With Quote
  #951  
Old 04-12-2007, 03:40 PM
strandinthewind's Avatar
strandinthewind strandinthewind is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 25,791
Default

Stevie's tour starts in a month - that will liven the place up - perhpas.

Of course, LB's snotty nose behavior in Nebraska was fun to read about
Reply With Quote
  #952  
Old 04-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Sarah's Avatar
Sarah Sarah is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Hell's Half Acre
Posts: 2,826
Default

Oh, and, I do have to say, on the punk vs metal issue, I have to lean towards Brian a bit.

I do sometimes enjoy the spirit and attitude of spit-in-your-face punk, but there is some serious musical thrashing to be done in the metal world. I love bands like Cradle of Filth because that **** is like classical music on crystal meth. The instrumental parts are so musical.. but they're fkkin ANGRY!!!!!!!!
__________________
Yup. I'm in hell.
Reply With Quote
  #953  
Old 04-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Für Elise's Avatar
Für Elise Für Elise is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Oh, and, I do have to say, on the punk vs metal issue, I have to lean towards Brian a bit.

I do sometimes enjoy the spirit and attitude of spit-in-your-face punk, but there is some serious musical thrashing to be done in the metal world. I love bands like Cradle of Filth because that **** is like classical music on crystal meth. The instrumental parts are so musical.. but they're fkkin ANGRY!!!!!!!!
punk won that debate a page ago
Reply With Quote
  #954  
Old 04-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Sarah's Avatar
Sarah Sarah is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Hell's Half Acre
Posts: 2,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Für Elise View Post
punk won that debate a page ago
But I posted what I thought then. Deal with it. Don't get snarky with me unless you want to keep it up. I have enough spunk and snark for almost everybody on this entire damn board, and I already don't like you.
__________________
Yup. I'm in hell.

Last edited by Sarah; 04-13-2007 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #955  
Old 04-13-2007, 09:54 AM
BTFLCHLD's Avatar
BTFLCHLD BTFLCHLD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,274
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
I have enough spunk and snark for almost everybody on this entire damn board, and I already don't like you.
Reply With Quote
  #956  
Old 04-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Sarah's Avatar
Sarah Sarah is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Hell's Half Acre
Posts: 2,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
oh godddd, don't encourage me.
__________________
Yup. I'm in hell.
Reply With Quote
  #957  
Old 04-13-2007, 06:43 PM
BlackWidow's Avatar
BlackWidow BlackWidow is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: bouncing off the wall at you. being defined by the applause.
Posts: 7,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
oh godddd, don't encourage me.
Squash the troll.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved