The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:04 AM
Ledgie

So disappointed. It took three years to release this? What kind of alternate universe are we in, and how do we get out? It's as bad as the songs from the 'This is 40' soundtrack. I don't understand this at all.

Last edited by SeanJT; 04-14-2017 at 09:07 AM..
Old 04-14-2017, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love it!! Another solid pop song from Lindsey (I believe he wrote this himself) His songwriting skills are impeccable. I also really like the production...yes, somewhat safe but very easy on the ears. The drums sound fantastic. My only problem with the song is where's Chris???

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 04-14-2017, 09:12 AM
Ledgie

Default In My World

Here are my thoughts and feelings about it ...

Firstly, let's take care of the great big elephant in the room: Where is Christine?

Christine is nowhere to be found or heard on this first Buckingham/McVie single. Sort of like "Big Love" announced the big return of Fleetwood Mac only it featured exclusively Lindsey with Mick and John. A very, very bizarre choice for a first single.

All that being said: The song is SUBLIME! The chorus makes me cry as I can SO RELATE to the lyrics! I have a girl who's been singing backups for me since 2001 and lately, the magic is gone - we can barely look at each other and talk unless we've had wine and the singing together is NOT what it used to be and so when I heard him sing those words - I got SO emotional.

I absolutely adore the instrumental bridge - at some point, his humming and guitar effects combined sound like some brass patches (like a more subtle Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind).

He's talking about "take your time" - oh, that precious time! One of Lindsey's lyrical obsessions.

I adore the guitar solo - it's very similar to what he ends up doing on "End of Time" - just plaintive, repetitive and emotionally charged despite its simplicity and sparseness.

I have listened to it, I kid you not, about 100 times already. I not only stayed up past 2AM listening to it on repeat, I kept in on repeat throughout my sleep ... it is in my blood and soul at this point and I absolutely ADORE it. My tough music critic side would give it a 4 out 5 (which is EXCELLENT) but my Buckingham lover side gives it a firm 5 out of 5. It is heaven.

... but where in the hell is Christine?
Old 04-14-2017, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's just ok. Surprised Christine wasn't on it at all, but then again, not surprised.

Maybe to them, a duet album means, you do a song, then I'll do a song, then you do a song, then I do a song.

The effects he put on his voice are annoying to me. He's going for a certain vocal sound, obviously. I think it's kinda cool that he added the "oh-ahs" to it as an homage of sorts. The guitar parts are underwhelming, especially for Lindsey.

As far as this song being pointed at Stevie...not so sure. In Lindsey's defense, I don't think every time he mentions lost loves in his songs it's about her.

Jamie
Old 04-14-2017, 09:20 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanJT View Post
So disappointed. It took three years to release this? What kind of alternate universe are we in, and how do we get out? It's as bad as the songs from the 'This is 40' soundtrack. I don't understand this at all.
Wow - I absolutely ADORE his 'This is 40' songs - especially 'Brother and Sister' and 'Sick of You'. I had no idea some people were less than absolutely CRAZY about those songs. And what can be said about his gorgeous harmonies on 'Always Judging'? Wow.

Also DreamIsOver said: "...the solid foundation from Mick and John with Lindsey's irritating and dissonant guitar on top that does not change or resolve melodically". You're right, the riff doesn't really change or resolve musically but "irritating" and "dissonant"? How? They are in key, beautifully subtle and the fact that they don't resolve adds to the absolute poignancy of it.

Man ... am I the only one that is absolutely IN LOVE with this song?

And Mick's unmistakable drum fills which recall Ringo ... love them!
Old 04-14-2017, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Let's remember that "Do You Miss Me" was probably the lamest song on GOS and it was chosen as the single. Even Lindsey made comments on tour about being slightly stumped by the decision for that song to be a single.

I doubt this is officially the single, more like a teaser until the real promotion kicks in. I like it, anyone can spot that rhythm section a mile away. Classic drum fills.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like it, but as you guys already said I was hoping to hear Christine's voice on it. I hope there are actual duets on the album instead of these "solo" sounding songs.

Last edited by Nick; 04-14-2017 at 09:46 AM..
Old 04-14-2017, 09:44 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
I like it, anyone can spot that rhythm section a mile away. Classic drum fills.
Indeed!

I absolutely love it. I even love "Did You Miss Me" though I recognize it's arguably too MOR.

So excited! (pun intended)
Old 04-14-2017, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Let's remember that "Do You Miss Me" was probably the lamest song on GOS and it was chosen as the single. Even Lindsey made comments on tour about being slightly stumped by the decision for that song to be a single.
Exactly, agree with every word.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Hearing the preview now. It's a mix of Trouble and Peacekeeper if you ask me. Though I hated Peacekeeper.
I don't hear "Trouble" in this new song but I def. hear "Peacekeeper."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
I loved "Peacekeeper." But I hate this new song.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i liked Peacekeeper from SYW, and i thought i liked Stevie-Lindsey harmonies on it. but then i heard original Peacekeeper, not slowed down SYW version, and without added Stevie vocals. the original one was heaps and bounds better song.
I often prefer the demos to the released versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Actually, upon first listen, I also heard elements of "Trouble" and "Peacekeeper"
Ah, you've got something in common with secondhandchain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalBegin View Post
Firstly, let's take care of the great big elephant in the room: Where is Christine? Christine is nowhere to be found or heard on this first Buckingham/McVie single.
I have only heard the snippet given to us on Spotify and Rolling Stone. I played it 4 times. From the get go I instantly Loved it. On the 2nd listen I thought this song sounds like it could have been on the Tango album.Then I was preparing my morning coffee while the tune swirled around in my brain and I said to myself, "where have I heard this song before?" About 10 minutes later and during my first cup of coffee it hit me. PEACEKEEPER!!!

I total agree with everyone when we wonder why Christine is not on this song. It just makes no sense whatsoever to be a duet act and have only one singer. And even though I said I loved this track, I don't like that it is not some new unheard of mind blowing song, like it should be for a classic rock artist who has had YEARS to perfect this music. So I must separate this knowledge and just let this song stand alone for what it is and on first listen was enjoyable to my ears. I have heard many Mac songs over the years that I didn't like on first listen that took repeated listens for me to like. And that is because I WANT to like every FM song I hear.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just heard the whole single courtesy of YouTube.....
I like it and it does remind me of Peacekeeper....which is a favourite of mine.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:44 AM

I had Time Bomb Town going in my head all morning. I don't know if this is a good or bad sign.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:10 AM
Ledgie

Sorry, but I gotta say it.....this song would sound way, way better with some Stevie background vocals!
Old 04-14-2017, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSATX View Post
Sorry, but I gotta say it.....this song would sound way, way better with some Stevie background vocals!
But she couldn't be bothered to join them, so I'm glad she's absent!
Old 04-14-2017, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's a great song.
It wouldn't have been out of place on Under The Skin,
Gift of Screws or Seeds We Sow.
Or the Fleetwood Mac EP. (Production-wise - a huge improvement from Say You Will)

For me the John McVie bass is the best part of the song.
Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a solid Lindsey track and
bodes well for the rest of the album.

I can't think of a single artist or band from their era
who are still making interesting "current" sounding music.