Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Christine's coming back for one reason...it's Fleetwood Mac's Grande Finale tour. It's been pretty obvious that Fleetwood Mac hasn't been Fleetwood Mac since 1998. Mick wasn't going to let Fleetwood Mac sail into the sunset being Stevie & Lindsey's feeble attempt at being Buckingham Nicks again under an assumed (and more well-known) name.
I think you may be right about this being a Grand Finale final tour and perhaps album if we're lucky. Which is really a bummer, because I'd love to see this be a continuing thing. I don't think you're right about the reasoning for it. The recent incarnation has been one of the most monetarily successful touring acts ever. They're at the top of their game, not the bottom. This news only pumps it up further.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilsrain View Post
I think you may be right about this being a Grand Finale final tour and perhaps album if we're lucky. Which is really a bummer, because I'd love to see this be a continuing thing. I don't think you're right about the reasoning for it. The recent incarnation has been one of the most monetarily successful touring acts ever. They're at the top of their game, not the bottom. This news only pumps it up further.
Yeah, I think some people here are projecting their opinions onto the band. The band doesn't feel that way and I think they're very happy with the band as it is currently.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
Yeah, I think some people here are projecting their opinions onto the band. The band doesn't feel that way and I think they're very happy with the band as it is currently.
I think they were happy except for the fact that Lindsey (and I guess Mick too) wanted to do new music.

Judging from the way he talked about Without You and Stevie wanting to do that song, while he was trying to push new songs, I don't think Lindsey was very interested in reviving Buckingham Nicks except to the extent that it was a way to get at her by the back door. If he could interest her in working on old songs, maybe he could get new songs in the process and then they could be the modern day BN, with Fleetwood Mac.

I think he would have been quite happy with the quartet if they kept putting out new music. He was proud with them as a band on stage, thinks they're playing the best they've ever played. What was lacking was the studio component. In fact, he said after SYW that if he could keep recording with Fleetwood Mac, he would never have to release solo music again. But that didn't happen. Without them making new music, I think he was restless with Fleetwood Mac and ashamed to be "that" nostalgia group. If he could have recorded new music with Stevie, then I would agree that he was happy with the band currently. But it was like pulling teeth. He got the EP and now he was left with the task of releasing more songs after that, some way, some how. It was a battle.

As for Stevie, I think she was happy touring with the current band. She seemed content this tour -- but we usually don't find out that she was unhappy until afterwards anyway. So, it's hard to say. But I don't think she was interested in doing new music with them. Now, whether it would be her first choice or not, if Christine returns she will undoubtedly make new music with The Mac.

To your point, I agree that none of them thought they needed Christine back to make them fresh or relevant on stage, though. I think they were all proud of their current live sound.

Michele
Old 01-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
I think everyone is just speculating about what's to come. We should just wait and see what happens. Maybe Christines return will reinvigorate the band and their attitude towards the group dynamic. I personally don't feel this will be the grand finale, Christine is their proverbial golden goose and with her on board they'll only make even more money on tour. Think about, the Rumours lineup touring again? Tickets would sell out in milliseconds
Old 01-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It would be great to see the complete Rumours band in the flesh plus crate some magic in the studio which they did almost 40 years ago.It would be great since I never seen the Rumours lineup in action live before.My first FM concert was in 1987.So this would be priceless if it happens.

I have mixed feelings on if they will be doing a final tour together.I hope they will go on like the Stones and other bands .

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Right. Buckingham Nicks doing Fleetwood Mac songs is still not exactly Buckingham Nicks.
Really? Seriously? Lindsey Buckingham & Stevie Nicks, singing Lindsey Buckingham & Stevie Nicks tunes is STILL "Buckingham Nicks" (with an infinitely better rhythm section, however) especially this last tour. Matters not if the songs were used on Fleetwood Mac albums. They still played the Buckingham Nicks card quite often in interviews and stage banter throughout the tour. That just pretty much told the world where their heads were...wasn't to promote the Fleetwood Mac legacy...they were tooting their own horn. There was a Fleetwood Mac before them, but you RARELY hear them (especially now) mention that fact. Even after one of the better known former members had f-ing DIED, they act like he didn't exist. (and that's from the English members, too)
Old 01-13-2014, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Buckingham Nicks is not Fleetwood Mac without Christine McVie. As much as this last tour had a lot more tooting their own horns .......it's still not Buckingham Nicks but it does come close.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Really? Seriously? Lindsey Buckingham & Stevie Nicks, singing Lindsey Buckingham & Stevie Nicks tunes is STILL "Buckingham Nicks" (with an infinitely better rhythm section, however) especially this last tour. Matters not if the songs were used on Fleetwood Mac albums. They still played the Buckingham Nicks card quite often in interviews and stage banter throughout the tour. That just pretty much told the world where their heads were...wasn't to promote the Fleetwood Mac legacy...they were tooting their own horn. There was a Fleetwood Mac before them, but you RARELY hear them (especially now) mention that fact. Even after one of the better known former members had f-ing DIED, they act like he didn't exist. (and that's from the English members, too)
SIGH.

Come on chili - I am referring to the sound - and I know you get that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
.....it's still not Buckingham Nicks but it does come close.
Agreed. It's close, but still not quite.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My reaction to Christine rejoining: Bleh. This band isn't going to get any more interesting just because Christine is coming back. And that's not a shot at her. I respect her and she wrote some terrific songs in her day.

I wasn't crazy about "Temporary One" or the stuff from "Time." I bet if there is a new album, the stuff won't be much better. I hope she proves me wrong.

If there is no new album, then it's just another nostalgia tour, except they will now be able to add four or five Christine songs. Whopeee!
Old 01-13-2014, 08:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

I really think that they should just play a few cities on this upcoming summer tour to get Christine back into the band. They could play several nights in NYC, Chicago, Vegas, and LA, this way Christine wouldn't have to fly as much, and neither would we.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoscascott View Post
I really think that they should just play a few cities on this upcoming summer tour to get Christine back into the band. They could play several nights in NYC, Chicago, Vegas, and LA, this way Christine wouldn't have to fly as much, and neither would we.
You mean residencies? They could play for a week in RI. Seriously, that does sound like a logical plan but I guess we will have to wait and see.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I became a Fleetwood Mac fan because of The Dance, but never saw the band in person with Christine McVie. Then, I became a big fan of Buckingham Nicks. It is not hard to see where my main interest lies, but I've had the opportunity to see them front Fleetwood Mac many, many times. Adding Christine to the mix again will make it different and fresh. New music could also have done that, but alas, Stevie did not produce on that score.

I was THRILLED to hear Without You performed on tour. It was like a dream come true. The idea of a Buckingham Nicks tour is also terribly exciting to me. However, I'm willing to wait another year for that if it means I can see Christine with the band at last. The same is true for the solo material. It's not as if her return means we'll never see LB or SN solo again - it just means we wait a bit longer for it.

For me, there's always been Buckingham Nicks, and then Fleetwood Mac... separate entities. I want to see Christine as part of the entity that is FM. I want to see BN on their own terms. I still believe that can happen.

I believe we can have it ALL! Christine and FM now, BN/solo later. No, BN/solo later is not guaranteed... but it never has been guaranteed. If Stevie and Lindsey mean what they've been saying and if the re-release of BN is truly important to them, then a summer tour with Chris won't nullify that. Take courage, BN fans - it's all good!

Old 01-13-2014, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
No, it's not. It doesn't have anything to do with Fleetwood Mac. It's never been digitally released - and all the reasons I pointed out above pointed to that being part of the plan.
Oh but the 24 bit is out there if you look.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:35 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
My reaction to Christine rejoining: Bleh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
This band isn't going to get any more interesting just because Christine is coming back.
Let's change your username to Bob, or Debbie. You choose...

Old 01-13-2014, 10:37 PM

Haha! i've never heard of Bob bummer. I got a chuckle from that one.