Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Chicks and whores?

Michele
which one is cah?

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Junior Ledgie

I just listened to some of Under The Skin for the first time since I got Gift of Screws. The two are just so far apart in terms of the quality of songs. GOS is multiple times better - what an album!
Old 09-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I don't mean to sound morbid but you know what is strange, and correct me if I'm wrong, but every person who has ever been a member of Fleetwood Mac is still alive?

Well, which one were you counting on to kick the bucket first?

Michele
Old 09-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't mean to sound morbid but you know what is strange, and correct me if I'm wrong, but every person who has ever been a member of Fleetwood Mac is still alive?
Nope, you're not wrong and not morbid. (Perhaps I might be charged with being morbid since that's a little of what I read into the song.) They are all still with us-- not all still making music, but they're out there.

What do you think of the song? How do you interpret Time Precious Time?
Old 09-20-2008, 08:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, which one were you counting on to kick the bucket first?

Michele
Aww, I didn't mean it like that. I'm just surprised given the number of members and their age and their lifestyle. But really I was kinda thinking out loud. I should have kept that to myself.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Aww, I didn't mean it like that. I'm just surprised given the number of members and their age and their lifestyle. But really I was kinda thinking out loud. I should have kept that to myself.
No what you're thinking makes total sense. Hell The Beatles had 4 members and are already down to 2 (If i was god id switch out the 2 ) And it's not like these 16 members have lived healthier lives, Not by a LONG shot. Hell the rumours line up alone should be dead 5 times over, hell just Stevie and Mick should be dead 4 times over.

It really is impressive and almost a miracle that such a hard living band that started 40+ years ago still has all 16 members alive.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 09-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up just in time...

My semi-gut reaction (I’ve listened to the whole album over 10 times, working on #11, maybe 12 as I’m losing the count)…

I’m a huge fan of Under the Skin and I kept hearing how Gift of Screws was Lindsey’s rock album. I was a bit afraid because, for me, the cool thing about putting on a new Lindsey Buckingham record is the anticipation of knowing that he is going to take you on a musical journey full of twists, turns, and surprises. He will challenge you, but reward you with music you won’t find anywhere else. He’s unique – the underrated guitar god that deserves to be on every top guitarist list.. is anyone listening?

My favorite track is Time Precious Time – it just exudes beautiful with its sometimes whispering and often urging lyrics about how precious each and every moment this short life is. And he sings the words against a backdrop of an urgent guitar strum – like clocks ticking ever so quickly…. remember. Brilliant.

My second favorite track is “Underground.” Two of my favorite moments on Gifts are the instrumental that comes after the second round of “I think I might wander Underground..” and then how the song fades out.. with Lindsey’s “uh uh uh..” and his beautiful pickin’…. gorgeous.

“Bel Air Rain” competes with “Underground” as my second favorite track – not only does it have some of the most interesting lyrics, but when he starts to sing “I’ve changed my name” – I don’t know – it just gets to me. Terrific stuff.

Then there are the rockers.. I think “Wait for You” “Love Runs Deeper” and “The Right Place to Fade” deserve a chance to be played on rock radio – catchy melodies, infectious hooks with an edge - guitar gems!

“Long and slender alter in the sky… …we will rise from this treason” From start to finish, I do adore this album. Thank you Lindsey – I needed some fresh new music in my life. Gift of Screws is better than I expected - and I expected a lot!
Old 09-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No, I remember Stevie telling Mojo that when all of their friends start dying, Lindsey will be the first one she calls and I laughed myself silly over that. First of all, I didn't know why Stevie thought that she and Lindsey would outlive their friends.

Also, Lindsey's father died young and his brother even younger, so . . . I think it's a blessing that all 16 members of the band are still alive.

No wild car accidents. The Macsters have been lucky.

And I don't know if any of them ever did heroin or not, but that seems to be deadlier than other drugs. Not doing that might have saved a few lives.

Michele
Old 09-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Bob mentioned being in a heroin coma when he did his Q&A here. He's an amazing survivor.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Finally had time this morning to listen to GOS for the first time.

Gut reaction: love it, every freaking song. Time Precious Time, Underground, Treason really stood out for me.

If I had to make one criticism: it's too short.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Now that I have had to to listen to it multiple times I have to say it is my favorite new album this year so far along with the debut of the Fleet Foxes..I like Under The Skin as well it reminds me of some newer bands I listen to like Iron and Wine..Mr Buckingham you have come up with a hell of a third act!

Old 09-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^ Good taste! I love Fleet Foxes and Iron & Wine too.

Personally I feel these last two albums are something of a creative high for Lindsey and for someone that has been around as long as him, that rarely happens this late in a artist's career.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Bel Air Rain and Time Precious Time are just so gorgeous...
Bel Air Rain is my fave on GOS.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I listen to like Iron and Wine
I love the EP of Calexico and Iron & Wine.
Speaking of Calexico, love their new album too.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lyrically, other than DYMM, I don't think the lyrics are inferior to the UTS album's. I think they are great, often paired with a vocal that makes them mean even more.

For instance, I love the little turn in Treason, when he says I searched for you behind garden walls and then he turns it around and says he saw her face, full of grace, searching for him. It's like, SOB. What a thoughtful way to describe people who have missed each other and been pained in their separation, to finally come together.

Also, I think we are all thrown for a loop by the Wait for You lyrics, because Lindsey just mumbled his way through the leaked version of GOS and we really had no idea what he was saying until now. But the way it's sung, I totally buy "I'm going to wait for you" as the words, because the urgent need in his voice during that refrain sounds like someone who is going to wait, even if he should walk away. Yeah, every bone has been broken, that's all the more reason to keep fighting, because if you stop, it will make all the suffering that's gone before meaningless.

So, even when the words are basic, like "I'm going to wait for you" within the performance of the songs, they gain in depth.

Michele