User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-17-2003, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Ever since the Cradle tour, I've sensed a "I had no idea this guy could do that" kind of reaction.

Yeah, I definitely get that sense too. Somewhere I've got a boot of his Atlanta Cradle show and right after...So Afraid, I think it is...you can actually hear people in the audience expressing awe and shock at how great he is.

Quote:
Monte Montgomery, a guitarist out of Austin, Texas, has often named Lindsey as one of his biggest influences, but you're probably saying, "Who's Monte Montgomery?"
Hehe. I've heard OF him, partly because he has mentioned Lindsey as a big influence. But I haven't actually heard his own stuff. Good?
Old 06-17-2003, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Les

Hehe. I've heard OF him, partly because he has mentioned Lindsey as a big influence. But I haven't actually heard his own stuff. Good? [/B]
On www.montemontgomery.com in the menu "listen" you can hear three samples. Quite impressive IMO!

gerald

Old 06-17-2003, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Gerald, the Marah record Kids in Philly is a must. It's in my top 10. It's just too bad the band decided to go commercial pop after that. Since you're a fan of the Eels, you're probably familiar with MC Honky's record. If not, go get it. It has a lot of sampling, and it's hard to describe, but it's great party music. It's also great relaxing music. Now that would seem contradictory, right? But it isn't, trust me.

Check out A3's Exile on Cold Harbour Lane. Great record, which includes the theme to the Sopranos, Woke Up This Morning. Their follow-up album, La Peste, is also very good, but I didn't really dig the most recent one. For a more acoustic sound, with hints of bluegrass and jazz, pick up the Be Good Tanyas' Chinatown. Refreshing. Next month, Cracker releases an album of redneck songs, including Jimmy Buffett's Why Don't We Get Drunk, a bunch of Merle Haggard covers and one or two originals. I have some of the unmixed tracks, and it looks very promising. A fun record for parties and driving.

If you like non-mainstream country, check out Rodney Crowell's The Houston Kid. I get chills just thinking about that record, it's so good and profound. There's a pair of songs about characters struggling with AIDS, one beauuuuuutiful song called I Know Love Is All I Need, some really deep stuff about growing up in an abusive situation. If you don't mind a little twang, this album is among the best you'll ever put in your player. Incidently, Rodney has another one coming out in August. From what I hear, it will be more of the same introspection and sparsely, but beautifuly arranged, production.

Do you have any recommendations?

Well thank you so much!! I'll try rodney, AND the rest. Cracker is always on my list, so I'm not afraid of missing that one!

Recommendations? Well, I don't know if you know Drivin'n'Cryin', but their Wrapped in Sky = album is a classic for me. And, more recent, the solorecord of their singer, Kevn Kinney called Broken Hearts and Autoparts ( ) is a great record ( recorded in one week, lindsey! ) That's the countryrocksuggestion. In Heavy bluesrock/stoner or desert rock or how you ***-americans call it the debut-album from Masters Of Reality is an absolute masterpiece, and their follow up, a bit more popcrafted but with ginger baker(!) behind the kit is awsome, too. Maybe it is difficult to purchase them (no big labels, Chris Goss, who essentially is that band, is constantly fighting the bussiness- i like him a lot), it is a problem in Europe! But this really is Led Zep=quality grooverock with a very melodic singer with a warm voice.

And then, a belgium band called dEUS (yes that's the way it has to be spelled) made a debutalbum (Worst Case Scenario) that absolutely belongs to the best alternative popalbums ever.

And of course if i am going to walk to my cd-closet....

But maybe this is enough for now.

Sorry, lindsey, are we overdoing this? on this thread, yeah. Lets do this on chitchat okay!

gerald

Old 06-18-2003, 05:45 AM
Ledgie

Hey, I think there are is actually a drum machine in Red Rover. Apart from the bass drum (more prominent from 2:47) and snare drum (some double hits at the chorus, for example at 0:58) there are also some cymbals (1:03, 1:08, etc) at the right side of the stereo pan.
I am listening through AKG studio reference headphones and I can hear all these details...
Old 06-18-2003, 09:09 AM

Thanks, Gerald.

No drums on Red Rover. Period.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:55 AM
Ledgie

Smile Monte Montgomery

[That of course has to do with his studio sensibilities. When it comes to playing, you don't hear as much. Monte Montgomery, a guitarist out of Austin, Texas, has often named Lindsey as one of his biggest influences, but you're probably saying, "Who's Monte Montgomery?"
Right.]

CarneVaca,
No, I have heard about Monte Montgomery!!!! I have yet to see him, but a buddy of mine raves about him! He tells me that since I appreciate Lindsey, I will like Monte.
Awesome!
How can I find out more about Monte? Where he plays, articles about him, etc.?
Chris
Old 06-18-2003, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by shackin'up
On www.montemontgomery.com in the menu "listen" you can hear three samples. Quite impressive IMO!
Thanks Gerald! I'll give it a listen.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There's an article about Monte Montgomery in the latest Guitar Player magazine, I believe (either the latest or the one just prior).

Just for those checking out the samples, Monte plays ACOUSTIC guitar!! (of course, it has a pickup and its sound is run through a bunch of fx pedals and amplifiers, but the actual guitar is an acoustic)
Old 07-02-2003, 01:11 PM
Ledgie

Default Reply to Seteca

[[Originally posted by clooney
No, I think Tango in the Night, Go Your Own Way, Book of Love, and Countdown are all much better electric solos than ANYTHING Van Halen or Eric Clapton have ever done. Both because of the fingerpicking style and also because of their construction and listening pleasure. I don't hear similar sound pleasure in solos by VH, EC or even Stevie Ray Vaughn.]]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Originally posted by Seteca
You mention 3 things here:
1) "Fingerpicking style": How is this relevant to these 4 songs? They can easily be played by any half-decent guitarist using a pick.
2) "Construction": I'm not sure what you mean by this but if you think those solos are more technically advanced than "Crossroads" or "Eruption", then I'm extremely surprised, but it's all a matter of opinion of course.
3) "Listening pleasure". Absolutely agree with you on this. LB's solos speak to me and move me emotionally more than anyone else's. He's my favourite guitarist and my favourite musician. However, my previous post was strictly about technical proficiency of electric solos only. I specifically said, "not emotionally."
I just can't understand how LB can be compared to Eric Clapton or Eddie Van Halen. These people's styles could not possibly be any more different.
Incidently, yesterday I was looking through some of these "best guitarists" lists via Google and the only list I could find which had Lindsey Buckingham in it had "NGBA" noted as his best guitar work, which I completely agree with.]

Thanks for your reply; sorry it has taken me so long to respond.

I understand what you are saying and I agree about their different styles. I guess what I was referring to I should have better described as opinion or ear candy listening pleasure. The solos I have heard by Eric Clapton, Eddie Van Halen, and Stevie Ray Vaughn, at least to my ears, are not that appealing. Therefore I have never been caught up in their music. (Although, thank you for mentioning Crossroads and Eruption, I'll give those a listen.)
It just appears to me as though when someone hears Countdown or Book of Love for the first time, they say "Wow, those are not only nice and melodic, but also rocking solos." Then they watch Lindsey play them without a pick and then they are blown away!!! At least that has been my experience when I introduce friends to Lindsey's music.
I can understand how what I said could be construed as making statements based on emotion. That wasn't what I meant; sorry about that.

Thanks for the tips and I'll see ya on The Ledge.
Chris