Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Holiday Road = Nothing But The Hook

http://splicetoday.com/music/lindsey...lb-ufg.twitter

Lindsey Buckingham’s “Holiday Road” is Nothing But The Hook
Nicky Smith

With the genuine emotion of a Chuck E. Cheese animatronic ensemble.

Lindsey Buckingham’s “Holiday Road” is such a strange song: it’s goofy and prefab, with the tinny, hollow qualities of most primitive drum machine and keyboard presets, something you’d hear whispering from an unseen speaker hidden deep in mall hell. It has the aggressively fake plastic jauntiness of a keyboard or drum machine preset, and the genuine emotion of a Chuck E. Cheese animatronic ensemble. Lindsey sings in a throaty but deflated voice that makes him sound like a synth patch. Obviously, this is a song written specifically for a soundtrack, for the theme song of National Lampoon’s Vacation. “Holiday Road” is nothing but the hook—everything is an excuse to reach the next round of “Holiday RoooAAAAooooOOOOOwwwAAAoooD”’s, reset, repeat. The bouncy plasticity of the production and the sheer repetition of the hook becomes a song that knows how stupid it is and revels in it, basically winning.

It’s a hook so enduring I recognized it immediately when a friend hummed it the other day. I hadn’t heard the song in 12 years or so, but I’ve never seen Vacation, and never knew it as a Buckingham single. “Holiday Road” was used as the bumper music in countless commercials and VHS promos, and it’s one of those pop songs that lingers in the air, and no matter what you do, you will be exposed. And anyone exposed to “Holiday Road” remembers the hook, probably because you were young and the chorus is so rewarding and rich for a young kid, when you’re too young to know voices could sound like that, or what music could do to you. At that age, the indulgent, angelic sound of the harmonies and the unrestrained repetition of the hook make for a glorious experience that you begin to hate because of how good it knows it sounds.

The song and the accompanying video also show Buckingham at his nervous wreck best, staring straight into the camera and pouting like Flock of Seagulls or The Human League. But Buckingham was far more enthralled by punk than anything out of the pop world. Even by 1978, when he was itching to define himself within the boundaries of his band and push forward, he had achieved unimaginable success in the mainstream music market, producing, playing and performing on one of the most successful albums ever. Imagine how much of a head**** it would be to be in that situation, and realize you’ve lost your chance to join in on the ground up with something like punk.

Buckingham could never make the same impact as The Clash, Television, or Suicide, because he was on the front lines on the opposite side of the culture wars. Tusk is the most brilliant demonstration of the tension between a band of basically comfortable popsters content with playing it safe being led into the dark by a desperate, paranoid auteur intent on defining himself as distinct and just as visceral as The Sex Pistols. Buckingham’s ears were pinched after Tusk didn’t sell 40 million copies, and his 80s output is less bold and histrionic, but still strange and misanthropic. “Holiday Road” is the cynical pop concession by an artist that wants to make it clear the song he’s singing is stupid, and he knows it, and let’s just enjoy it.

—Follow Nicky Smith on Twitter: @MUGGER1992

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Brilliantly written. And hits in the heart of the truth.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The song may have been kind of trashy, but I found the video rather good and while I would have just expected it to be clips from the movie, it was really Lindsey mind-based to me. Not for Chevy fans.

Michele
Old 06-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Holiday Road is a favorite of mine, and I make no apologies for it. I don't think it sounds as plastic as the writer says. It is a two-minute distillation of what makes Lindsey Lindsey -- brilliant hooks, relentless beat, wacky vocals -- all drenched in what one could call his trademark exuberant angst.

Last edited by RockawayBlind; 06-16-2013 at 06:21 PM..
Old 06-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
Holiday Road is a favorite of mine, and I make no apologies for it. I don't think it sounds as plastic as the writer says. It is a two-minute distillation of makes Lindsey Lindsey -- brilliant hooks, relentless beat, wacky vocals -- all drenched in what one could call his trademark exuberant angst.
And what you wrote is a brilliant distillation of LB!
Overall, I think it's a well-rounded and thoughtful piece - not really negative-- and I think the writer is saying that LB did a good job because that kind of what he calls plastic-y and pre-fab is really exactly what was called for and a perfect complement to this particular movie.

Isn't there a video of LB doing this song where he ends it by saying "did we escape with our dignity?"
Old 06-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper View Post
Overall, I think it's a well-rounded and thoughtful piece - not really negative-- and I think the writer is saying that LB did a good job because that kind of what he calls plastic-y and pre-fab is really exactly what was called for and a perfect complement to this particular movie.

Isn't there a video of LB doing this song where he ends it by saying "did we escape with our dignity?"
That was his stock quote from the UTS tour. He was referring to the dog barks.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper View Post

I agree, it suits the movie perfectly. I doubt it was meant to be any deeper than that.

Here's a video from Milwaukee 2006 w/ the "dignity" line:

Old 07-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mountain Democrat, excerpt from article by Dan Francisco, July 15, 2013

http://www.mtdemocrat.com/opinion/a-...riswold-style/

Most fathers will admit to having a little Clark Griswold in them.

Clark Griswold is the goofy yet doting father portrayed by Chevy Chase in National Lampoon’s Vacation movies. Griswold always planned vacations with the right intentions for his family to enjoy memorable experiences, but of course, life keeps getting in the way of Griswold’s plans.

We relate to the films because all of us who have planned vacations generally share the same emotions, the excitement and the disappointments, on the getaway. And who can resist that catchy Holiday Road song from the films — I’m humming it right now. I had no idea the song comes from Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac fame.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think there's much distinctively punk about 'Holiday Road', although I agree that the unadulterated hookiness produces an effect close to irony, and maybe that makes it cooler to like than just a pop song with a killer hook, but really, who cares. Nothing wrong with a pop song with a killer hook, if it can hit the sweet spot. I love 'Holiday Road' without apology.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Last weekend BIO Channel rebroadcast "Inside Story: National Lampoon's Vacation" (2011) - a 2 hour program on the cross-country road trip of filming the movie - the medical emergencies - the tempers and heat, etc.

Towards the end, the theme song Holiday Road is mentioned and that Lindsey had written it. The producers wanted a powerful rock group - and FM was extremely popular in 1982 when the film was being shot. It was said that FM was splintered and going separate ways. It was decided that Lindsey alone would do it.

The documentary showed a few photos of Lindsey in his studio and then they show the 1988 FM line up which includes Billy Burnette. Then they show a close up of Billy, whom they refer to as Lindsey.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
The producers wanted a powerful rock group - and FM was extremely popular in 1982 when the film was being shot. It was said that FM was splintered and going separate ways. It was decided that Lindsey alone would do it.
Interesing detail.

Maybe I'll catch this BIO program. Thanks.

Michele
Old 08-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt from an article on road music:

http://triblive.com/aande/adminpage/...#axzz2cBRxsRZg

HOLIDAY ROAD

It's time to put on the smiles and the miles when the strains of Lindsey Buckingham's “Holiday Road” dance happily through the vehicle occupied by Eric and Jamie Mattson of Duquesne. That signals one of their two yearly adventures to South Florida.

“We usually drive straight through the night, taking turns. The rule is: whoever is driving gets to pick what to listen to,” says Jamie Mattson, a letter carrier. “But each trip must start with ‘Holiday Road.' It's self-explanatory.”

And the vacation “must end with Jackson Browne's ‘The Load Out/Stay (Just A Little Bit Longer),' ” adds Mattson.

The many hours in between are filled by a varied selection, but the opening five songs after “Holiday Road” are expected: The Allman Brothers' “Rambling Man,” Roger Miller's “King of the Road,” Willie Nelson's “On the Road Again,” Simon and Garfunkel's “America” and Sammy Hagar's “I Can't Drive 55.”

“My successful formula seems to be a few ‘expected' songs, at least one classic country song and an angry punk cover of a familiar song,” Mattson says. “Beware: Southern rock songs always seem to pick up at the end and you tend to drive faster; not a good idea without cruise control!”

Read more: http://triblive.com/aande/adminpage/...#ixzz2cBSCuKRA
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
Old 02-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[With Ramis' passing, the song has gotten some attention this week. I've heard it in the media several times]

Consequence of Sounds, the Thirty Best Songs from Movie Soundtracks

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/0...soundtracks/2/

No. 28

“Holiday Road” dances over the slideshow opening credits of National Lampoon’s Vacation. This little earworm also hitchhiked its way into National Lampoon’s European Vacation, as well as underrated gem of a sequel Vegas Vacation (“I won the money, the money is mine!”). Rock and Roll Hall of Famer and Fleetwood Mac guitarist extraordinaire Lindsey Buckingham crafted this bouncing diddy and certainly got lots of mileage out of it. Don’t expect this silly song to chart again. But give it a listen and think back on the darkly comedic choices of late legendary director Harold Ramis, who no doubt included this happy melody to stand in contrast with the misery that is Clark Griswold’s life.

“Film Buff” Fact: Buckingham contributed original songs to several films, including “Twisted”, a 1996 duet with former lover and bandmate Stevie Nicks, that appears on the Twister soundtrack. Both the song and film are forgettable. But the Twister ride at Universal Studios Florida was pretty cool.

–Dan Pfleegor
Old 02-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Registered

Well It Is A Great Song
Old 03-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Senior Ledgie

Great article, thanks for posting it. When I hear songs like Holiday Road, I always wonder if there's really a deeper meaning or whether the artist is Just. Having. Fun.