The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-06-2005, 02:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Does FM have any African American fans?

I know this is not PC, but has anyone else noticed how FM seems to have no African American fan base? I don't think I have ever seen a black person at a FM/Stevie concert.

Sorry... I'm just thinking out loud I guess.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 06-06-2005, 03:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

I posted that in another thread, too, but a little different. I met two at Concord SYW, and one in Vegas after Fri nights show. So i guess there are a few.
My AFA friend doesn't know barely any of the same songs as I do from the 80's and 90's, and I remember being shocked last year that she had only heard the song People Are Strange just that year. Conversely, of course, I don't know lots of the songs she knows. I think Stevie's voice makes her cringe, a little, too. Either that, or she's just sick of her.... I tried - sometimes she'll sing Edge w/me....
oh, and don't forget about Sparky....

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 06-06-2005, 03:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I posted that in another thread, too, but a little different. I met two at Concord SYW, and one in Vegas after Fri nights show. So i guess there are a few.
My AFA friend doesn't know barely any of the same songs as I do from the 80's and 90's, and I remember being shocked last year that she had only heard the song People Are Strange just that year. Conversely, of course, I don't know lots of the songs she knows. I think Stevie's voice makes her cringe, a little, too. Either that, or she's just sick of her.... I tried - sometimes she'll sing Edge w/me....
oh, and don't forget about Sparky....
I saw that you posted something about that in a differnt thread and it made me start thinking about the whole thing.

Even when I saw FM in Atlanta (which has a heavy African American community) I didn't see one black person at the concert....

I guess it is just a different culture. I mean, I would never listen to rap.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 06-06-2005, 07:54 AM
Senior Ledgie

Down here in Florida there's always a couple!!

And on "The Dance" there's 2!!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My friend Kim (who entered that contest for me that won us the tix to the LA rehearsal 4/03) has always liked Mac & Stevie, but got way more into them after that show. She also won front row tix to Buffalo & took her dad.

I've seen a few AA fans at shows, but not too many.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Senior Ledgie

I have an African American friend, and she was temporarily living with her aunt and her uncle, and her aunt found a mix CD I made for her, and her aunt said "Stevie Nicks is a devil worshipper!" And of course, she took the mix CD and threw it away. We were both so PISSED!
Old 06-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

there were some at pnc.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:38 AM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny4406

And on "The Dance" there's 2!!!!!!!!
First thing I thought as well.

That and Elisecia doing HAEWAFY at Red Rocks - love it.

- Jake
Old 06-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
First thing I thought as well.

That and Elisecia doing HAEWAFY at Red Rocks - love it.

- Jake

I miss Bobye Hall

she was off the chain

Old 06-06-2005, 11:22 AM
ReFleetwoodMac
This message has been deleted by ReFleetwoodMac.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny4406
I miss Bobye Hall

she was off the chain

As much I like Taku, Bobbye's drum dance during the Stand Back intro was inspired.

- Jake
Old 06-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I sat next to an AA man at the SYW Camden show last year. Total chiffon head... yelling out "You sing it, girl!" whenever Stevie was doing a song. But looking around it was pretty much a sea of white... in Camden, NJ no less! And I thought to myself, geez... the two token minorities, and we're both seated next to each other! What are the chances of that at a FM concert?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsnake
I know this is not PC, but has anyone else noticed how FM seems to have no African American fan base? I don't think I have ever seen a black person at a FM/Stevie concert.

Heaven forbid! You must flagellate yourself for one full hour every day for thirty days for daring to suggest that people of different races might travel in largely different cultures!

Anyway, pop music doesn't get much more "white" than Rumours-era Fleetwood Mac, so it shouldn't be very surprising to anyone that the Mac's audience is almost entirely white. That said, I would venture the following guesses:

1) Fleetwood Mac probably has more black fans in Europe and Africa than they do in America.

2) Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac probably has more black fans than any other era of the band.

Are there many classic rock bands that do have much of a black fan base, though? Are there many classic rock bands that have black people in them?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I guess it is just a different culture. I mean, I would never listen to rap.
Well, that's a bit of a silly statement. The white audience for rap and hip-hop is enormous. Probably even larger than the black audience.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think there are alot of African-American fans of Stevie and the Mac. I just don't think they shell out the cash to see them live because their are other artists that are more ingrained into their culture. For example, Etta James is playing here in Denver the same day that Stevie is at Red Rocks, and I'm sure there will be very few white people in the audience at that show.

I manage a retail store, and we play ALOT of Stevie and Mac in the store. I would venture to say that 70 percent of my customers are black, and it's so much fun when the black women come in and start doing a little dance to Stand Back or Dreams while they sing along. They always know the words. White customers never do that, they're too reserved and stuffy. One of my best friends, Santo, LOVES Stevie and would really like to go to Red Rocks with me, but he just bought his first home and is strapped for cash.

I remember when the FM reissues came out...I was listening to Beautiful Child, very loudly, as there were no customers in the store. This young black man decked to the hilt in hip-hop regalia came in, and I turned down the music. He said to me, "No man, you can jam, turn it back up!" So I did. He ended up listening to it, asked who it was, and so I showed him the CD. He said it was haunting and beautiful, and that he was off to go buy it. I love recruiting new fans.

The older generation of blacks doesn't seem to be too aware of Stevie or Fleetwood Mac, but the younger crowd is quite hip to them from what I've noticed. Most people's musical choices are influenced by what they heard while growing up, so it's really just a matter of exposure.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 06-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Ledgie

Talking Yes

Quote:

They have at least one African American fan... ME!! I have always loved Stevie/FM even before I knew who they were. I know what you mean though since I am usually the only one at the concerts that I attend. My partner, who is Mexican, and I are always looking for other people of color. By the way he is not really a fan but tolerates FM because I have brainwashed him somewhat.

Look for me at the LB Soundstage whenever that airs.

Sean