User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
Actually half the country didn't vote for him and he still "won" the election. Go figure.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by hayley
George Bush never KILLED anyone, now did he?
Well...probably not. His wife did though.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
not.

My point is few people are willing to point the accusatory finger at themselves before judging.
Of course not but we're not running for leader of the free world either. There are different standards for that.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Of course not but we're not running for leader of the free world either. There are different standards for that.
Touche - but still - I do not fault anyone for these little things. Now, if we can prove he obstructed justice, etc., then I may care.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
Fortunately, not to the extent that Bush has.

I notice that you didn't try to refute any of the facts.

What facts? Honestly...I never really cared what the guy did in his younger life, the same with Clinton. Who cares what he did 25 years ago? He didn't kill anyone. He is an admitted alcoholic. He got arrested for disorderly conduct..woopee!!! That would be one of my college roommates every other week!

What I am concerned with is his policies and actions as president, not some hearsay stories of his past who's accuracy is questionable....I don't have the will to even try and look up that stuff. That's what ticked me off about the Right with Clinton...things were going well and they had nothing major to gripe about so here comes the background check and personal issues.

Nitpicky issues about a person's past mean absolutely nothing. They won't change the fact that Bush is president and they don't affect the economy. Cheers!

Rob

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 01-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree...but the same people who are now accusing Bush of all this stuff defended Clinton when he was cheating on his wife in the Oval Office. It's hypocracy.

(I don't mean gldstwm or dissention in particular, I don't know how you two saw that!)

Besides...shouldn't we give the guy a little credit for kicking the booze if he had a problem?

WTF?

I enjoy the political banter but, man, this stuff is out there.

I mean Kennedy killed a woman and fled the scene for Pete's sake! And he's still a senator

Rob

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 01-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob67
I mean Kennedy killed a woman and fled the scene for Pete's sake! And he's still a senator

Rob
What did you want him to do? Drown in the car with her or go get help?
Old 01-08-2004, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Once again, who has never, ever in their lives driven under the statutory definition of "over the limit." I submit few have. Moreover, who would not try and get out of it if caught. I submit no one (fess up, a cop has never let you go even though you broke the traffic law - its the same thing in that the crime was committed, the law was broken, etc.). Moreover, W recognized he had a problem and quit. he should be lauded for that - not beaten down IMO. Also, it is not unethical to get a continuance in a case or to post bond or to pay the fine after it is levied. Most of the stuff you bring up is just reg. procedure you assert is a bad thing (someone is spinning ). I submit if W had been up to no good in this, he would have tried to have it fixed and been busted doing so. But, he did not.
You must be confused, then. I was hoping to point out that he lied on all points about what happened. Maybe it isn't a big deal to you, but it is to me. He lied about how it was handled, whether or not he went to court, whether his license had been suspended, whether or not he had someone post bond, etc. Moreover, he tried to have it covered up in the early nineties to protect his public persona. And I don't know about you, but it isn't normal for the defendant to request AND receive two continuances in this kind of thing. I'm not asserting that ANY of the procedures are bad or wrong, I'm asserting that the cover-up and lies about it are wrong.

Someone needs to read my post again.

Old 01-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob67
What I am concerned with is his policies and actions as president, not some hearsay stories of his past who's accuracy is questionable....I don't have the will to even try and look up that stuff. That's what ticked me off about the Right with Clinton...things were going well and they had nothing major to gripe about so here comes the background check and personal issues.
They aren't hearsay stories, they are facts that have been reflected in court papers and other legal documents.

Old 01-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by hayley
You know, all of your political squabbling just became silly, meandering, and pointless after the first forty-seven back and forth posts.

Half the country found enough merit in Bush to vote for him as president. While I am no fan of his, he's still the president, and to insinuate as it seems like you all so often do that anyone who supports him or at least doesn't spend all their free time trashing him is either A) dumb or B) uninformed is silly.

The political squabbling just gets ridiculous.

As for Bush compared to Ted Kennedy- are you KIDDING me to say that Bush's credibility in terms of his prior history with alcohol, drugs, etc. is millions worse than Ted Kennedy's... George Bush never KILLED anyone, now did he?
Don't read these threads, then. We're having a discussion where some may not like to participate or agree with (as Rob never does!), so if you don't, there's no need to pop in and complain about what's being posted. Leave well enough alone.

Old 01-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Regardless of the President's past, the real issue, IMO is that the public at large doesn't really care about these issues. Even if they are all true ! If he had been involved in a sex scandal, it would be a different story. Also, the people who support Bush no matter what - knee jerkers like Limbaugh - will never, ever say a bad thing about him. It's akin to a blind religous conversion.

I personally can't stand the man. From his family's ties to oil and the middle east, to the election suspicions, I think he is higher on the slippery scale than most politicians. For the record, I think it is impossible to get involved in politics and not become slippery. However, something about the way he looks, talks, walks, and comes across makes my flesh crawl. So do the majority of his policies. I won't even get into that Reptilian cabinet. They all look like they were doctored up by a Hollywood creature effect shop to look sinister. The look in the eyes of those people scares me. Again - the word Reptile comes to mind...the squinty eyes, the suspicious tones of voice, the indignance in their speeches.

Some Democrats are pretty slippery too, but that group is like something out of a horror movie.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
You must be confused, then. I was hoping to point out that he lied on all points about what happened. Maybe it isn't a big deal to you, but it is to me. He lied about how it was handled, whether or not he went to court, whether his license had been suspended, whether or not he had someone post bond, etc. Moreover, he tried to have it covered up in the early nineties to protect his public persona. And I don't know about you, but it isn't normal for the defendant to request AND receive two continuances in this kind of thing. I'm not asserting that ANY of the procedures are bad or wrong, I'm asserting that the cover-up and lies about it are wrong.

Someone needs to read my post again.
You're right. We have seen that his administration completely lacks accountablility, which would seem to be one of the holdovers from his other life. Part of having a successful recovery is being accountable for your behavior.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Can someone help me?

WHY are ALL politicians this way? Are there NONE out there without some sort of illegal activity on their rapsheet?

I am in NO WAY a saint, but I consider myself a clean living person with no arrests or drug issues.

WHY do they all seem so slimy and conniving?
Old 01-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sparky
Regardless of the President's past, the real issue, IMO is that the public at large doesn't really care about these issues. Even if they are all true ! If he had been involved in a sex scandal, it would be a different story. Also, the people who support Bush no matter what - knee jerkers like Limbaugh - will never, ever say a bad thing about him. It's akin to a blind religous conversion.

I personally can't stand the man. From his family's ties to oil and the middle east, to the election suspicions, I think he is higher on the slippery scale than most politicians. For the record, I think it is impossible to get involved in politics and not become slippery. However, something about the way he looks, talks, walks, and comes across makes my flesh crawl. So do the majority of his policies. I won't even get into that Reptilian cabinet. They all look like they were doctored up by a Hollywood creature effect shop to look sinister. The look in the eyes of those people scares me. Again - the word Reptile comes to mind...the squinty eyes, the suspicious tones of voice, the indignance in their speeches.
Some Democrats are pretty slippery too, but that group is like something out of a horror movie.
:

You know Rumsfled taking the credit for The Soldiers being nominated for Time's Person Of The Year just made me sick to my stomach today. I don't understand why people take everything they say as gospel when it's just so obvious to me that they are the real "evildoers."
Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Can someone help me?

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
WHY are ALL politicians this way? Are there NONE out there without some sort of illegal activity on their rapsheet?

?
Paul Wellstone (dead), John Kerry, Wesley Clark, John McCain...there are some men in white hats left.