User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Nope not Isn't It Midnight. It's Behind The Mask. You can sing that song right over most of Carnival Begin. They're practically the same songs.
wait, do you mean Make Me a Mask? Because now that you made me think of it, the plonking guitar under the screaming solo (parts of which sound like the IIM solo to me) totally sounds like that plonking (sorry can't think of a better word) in Make Me a Mask slowed down a bit.....
I think for me that's what sounds so dam familiar about it. thanks for that!
Old 06-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Am I losing my mind or is the NPR thread gone?
http://www.npr.org/2017/06/01/530271...ntent=20170505
Old 06-05-2017, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.nydailynews.com/newswires...icle-1.3223170

Review: Buckingham-McVie album is nearly all Fleetwood Mac

From Associated Press
June 05, 2017 12:20 PM EST

The first duet album from Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie is nearly Fleetwood Mac, with only Stevie Nicks missing from the band's classic lineup.

Its development began even before McVie rejoined the band after 16 years for the 2014-2015 "On With the Show" tour, when Buckingham recorded several songs with the Mac rhythm section of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, who also contribute to the finished album.

More layers were added when Buckingham worked on snippets of chords, lyrics and melodies he was sent by McVie and a couple of their writing collaborations — the vocals-soaked pop of "Red Sun" and "Too Far Gone," with a Knopfler-esque, bluesy guitar riff and pounding drums — are among the highlights of the self-titled album.

"Game of Pretend" is a trademark McVie piano-led ballad which starts with great promise but turns to mush on the refrain. The other track she penned alone on the 10-song album is the excellent closer "Carnival Begin," her best vocal wonderfully framed by Buckingham's production touches and his typically yearning guitar solo that fades away too soon.

If the album was meant to be part of a full Fleetwood Mac comeback at some point, the Buckingham tunes have more of a solo album feel.

Still, the track sharing a name with the last Mac tour reveals both the beauty and apparent inescapability in the life of a musician like Buckingham — "As long as I stand, I will take your hand, I will stand with my band/There's nowhere to go, but on down the road, let's get on with the show."
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/newswires...icle-1.3223170

Review: Buckingham-McVie album is nearly all Fleetwood Mac

From Associated Press
June 05, 2017 12:20 PM EST

The first duet album from Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie is nearly Fleetwood Mac, with only Stevie Nicks missing from the band's classic lineup.

Its development began even before McVie rejoined the band after 16 years for the 2014-2015 "On With the Show" tour, when Buckingham recorded several songs with the Mac rhythm section of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, who also contribute to the finished album.

More layers were added when Buckingham worked on snippets of chords, lyrics and melodies he was sent by McVie and a couple of their writing collaborations — the vocals-soaked pop of "Red Sun" and "Too Far Gone," with a Knopfler-esque, bluesy guitar riff and pounding drums — are among the highlights of the self-titled album.

"Game of Pretend" is a trademark McVie piano-led ballad which starts with great promise but turns to mush on the refrain. The other track she penned alone on the 10-song album is the excellent closer "Carnival Begin," her best vocal wonderfully framed by Buckingham's production touches and his typically yearning guitar solo that fades away too soon.

If the album was meant to be part of a full Fleetwood Mac comeback at some point, the Buckingham tunes have more of a solo album feel.

Still, the track sharing a name with the last Mac tour reveals both the beauty and apparent inescapability in the life of a musician like Buckingham — "As long as I stand, I will take your hand, I will stand with my band/There's nowhere to go, but on down the road, let's get on with the show."
Wow just about every critic has panned Game of Pretend ..it does take a turn for the worse with the chorus.I also agree that the Lindsey songs have more of a solo feel and that Carnival Begin is a great song ..from what Mick and Lindsey were saying beforehand I expected that the entire album was going to be up to that standard.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Wow just about every critic has panned Game of Pretend ..it does take a turn for the worse with the chorus.I also agree that the Lindsey songs have more of a solo feel and that Carnival Begin is a great song ..from what Mick and Lindsey were saying beforehand I expected that the entire album was going to be up to that standard.
What else were they going to say? "Meh . . . It's okay. It's not Rumours, but it's better than Time."

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-05-2017, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
What else were they going to say? "Meh . . . It's okay. It's not Rumours, but it's better than Time."
Well yes that it is

Old 06-05-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Well yes that it is
Water is wet, too.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow just about every critic has panned Game of Pretend ..it does take a turn for the worse with the chorus.
The chorus of GoP is literally my favorite thing in the whole album--and I love everything about this album.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
You can speak positively of it without going overboard.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Senior Ledgie

Heart

'Game of Pretend' is like 'Songbird' meets 'Farmer's Daughter'. Took me a few listens, but I got it. At first, I thought it was over-produced sugar. Now, it's actually very lovely.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:00 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
wait, do you mean Make Me a Mask?
I agree with the original poster who said Carnival Begin sounds like Behind the Mask. Not Make Me a Mask.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanthompson View Post
'Game of Pretend' is like 'Songbird' meets 'Farmer's Daughter'. Took me a few listens, but I got it. At first, I thought it was over-produced sugar. Now, it's actually very lovely.
I feel the same way.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Was at Target earlier today and they played an ad for the upcoming album. It was a pleasant surprise.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
Was at Target earlier today and they played an ad for the upcoming album. It was a pleasant surprise.
I heard Friend in Best Buy about a week before the release.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.kshe95.com/news/real-rock...wood-mac-again

Lindsey Buckingham told Christine McVie she couldn't leave Fleetwood Mac again

Upon Christine McVie re-joining Fleetwood Mac again in time for their 2014 tour, she sniffed the band out about coming back after a 16-yer hiatus. Lindsey Buckingham revealed to The Guardian that he offered his bandmate a pointed ultimatum upon her return to the Mac, recalling, "I don’t think she assumed we’d necessarily be okay with it -- we had been doing quite well as a four-piece. I think she was trying to nose around to see if there was any openness to it before she got too assertive or specific about it. I had to have a conversation with Christine and say: 'Well, we’d love you to come back, but you can’t leave again.'" The pair's first album as a duo -- Lindsey Buckingham / Christine McVie -- will be released on Friday (June 9th).

Almost immediately new music began blossoming amongst the Fleetwood Mac bandmates: "She told me she’d been reconnecting with her creative muse and had some rough ideas she sent to me -- I, of course, took great liberties with them in my studio. And she was interested in these songs I’d been working on, and Mick (Fleetwood) and John (McVie) thought it would be good to bring her over early and cut tracks on some of these things. It was unbelievable. We only expected to do it for a couple of weeks but we stayed for a month. Nobody was saying it was a duet album -- we didn’t care what it was."

Although Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie have only collaborated on a total of five songs in the years working together, the pair found themselves coming together to form a new partnership with the new album: "There was more co-writership on this than we've ever done before. Part of that was a function of her openness and even what you might call her vulnerability coming back into the band and the creative process again. Part of it was something she was asking for in a larger sense from me than maybe she had thought about doing before. Part of it was, again, me applying my own growth and perhaps, even being pro-active about taking -- if you wanna use the word -- liberties."

Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie will perform on Thursday (June 8th) on NBC's The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.