Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-19-2004, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
Javier, John is a serious collector of FM music and a stand up guy.
I'd also be more than happy to vouch for John.

I was trying to give this Jeffrey guy the benefit of the doubt, but it's looking increasingly suspicious.
Perhaps he bought several copies? Or when the first one sold for as much as it did, he returned to wherever he bought it, and snatched up any remaining copies?
Those are possibilities, I suppose, but it all smells VERY fishy now.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wink The funniest thing...

...is that Burt Bacharach's name is spelled incorrectly. LMAO!! Who made these 45's, Fred Flintsone?

Burt Bacharock?
Old 07-19-2004, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by javier
Oh Where, oh where is Jeffrey?
I just looked at his profile and he's been recorded as "last online" (on The Ledge) on 6th July 2004. So...you can be sure that he's definitely read everything up to post #61 of this thread which is dated as 6th July. Even after that he's still probably reading these newer posts simply having logged out of his account and therefore surfing The Ledge undetected.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Didn't mean to dig this up again but I wanted to say thanks to Johhny Stew as well.

The more I think about this the more it sounds to me like this SSJ single was legally released at some point (though sneakily under the other name to slide through the legal loophole it couldn't have if it had been released under the Fritz name and I do agree with Javier that it stinks that it was apparently released "behind their back" so to speak) but I suppose if someone is making vinyl copies of it and selling them on ebay or wherever as if they're "originals", then that's more of a counterfeit issue more than a "bootleg". Not that I'm a legal expert but I'd think that's more the direct charge if this is what has in fact happened. Just a thought.

John
Old 07-26-2004, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood
Didn't mean to dig this up again but I wanted to say thanks to Johhny Stew as well.

The more I think about this the more it sounds to me like this SSJ single was legally released at some point (though sneakily under the other name to slide through the legal loophole it couldn't have if it had been released under the Fritz name and I do agree with Javier that it stinks that it was apparently released "behind their back" so to speak) but I suppose if someone is making vinyl copies of it and selling them on ebay or wherever as if they're "originals", then that's more of a counterfeit issue more than a "bootleg". Not that I'm a legal expert but I'd think that's more the direct charge if this is what has in fact happened. Just a thought.

John
Well, now that you have the single, give us a review!

In any case, I think Jeffrey's cow has dried up. He won't be getting any more milk from those nipples.

Old 07-26-2004, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Well, now that you have the single, give us a review!
OK well hmm, it's really hard to expand on it really as the rest of the tracks don't vary much from what was on the clips and I'm still learning them myself, I've only had the chance to listen to them a couple of times so far. Hopefully Javier will give the OK (like he has to the other clips that have surfaced on those stickys in ths forum) and then all can hear them in full.

John
Old 07-26-2004, 05:13 PM
Fritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood
OK well hmm, it's really hard to expand on it really as the rest of the tracks don't vary much from what was on the clips and I'm still learning them myself, I've only had the chance to listen to them a couple of times so far. Hopefully Javier will give the OK (like he has to the other clips that have surfaced on those stickys in ths forum) and then all can hear them in full.

John

Au contraire, there are indeed differences. "Georgia" was our first live recording at a high school, summer of '68. Lindsey is on the bass. "You Don't Get Young Anymore" and "What the World Needs Now" were recorded over 6 months earlier in a studio (Fall of '67, barely a few months after Stevie and Brian had joined Fritz), and at that time, since Lindsey knew the songs better than new member Brian, the former is heard on guitar, while Brian played bass. Louisa Joy was a commercial attempt on my part, meant for the Los Angeles commercial "rule" for 3-minute ditties. But the live recordings I have from 1970 are very, very different--long drawn-out parts, more expressive vocals, etc.--very late Sixties "San Francisco era," more bluesy, in the spirit of the Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane.

This month I sent Marty some snippets of Fritz era music with the intention of sharing them at this web site. The purpose was to share as well as gauge the response. There are live and studio cuts--"You Don't Get Young" was one of them, therefore, I don't have a problem with you making your copy available but I would advise you not to release the whole piece, or wait 'til Marty makes his edited version available. Pressure him to do so! The Ebay capper certainly showed me that there is interest!

Caution is warranted cuz too many unscrupulous souls might try to make fast mullah with the whole numbers, selling the music elsewhere. I would even advise the same caution with "What the World Needs Now," even though I didn't pen that. I am definitely going to release complete CDs of this live and studio music this year or next. Been holding out to see if there would be a Fritz reunion. Hope doth spring eternal. My colleagues might even help with the distribution, etc., which would be better than if I did everything on my own. Or, there may even be new recordings. After the pleasant encounters of June 27, I am very optimistic. But yes, this stuff is worth your while--people will be astounded!

Javier Pachecoearlier

Last edited by javier; 07-26-2004 at 05:19 PM..
Old 07-26-2004, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile Thanks Javier

OK, um, I think I'll just wait until Marty posts his edits then. Hopefully the full CD's you plan to release is soon as that would be easiest for everyone (and would make eveyone happiest too) I'm sure.

When I said "not much different" I just meant between the clips that were posted and the rest of those 2 particular tracks (haven't heard any of the others yet, I plan to go over to those downloads after finishing this post), but even then I admitted that I don't really know them that well myself yet.

I had heard about the later Fritz material being more progressive so all of the recordings I think will be VERY interesting listening, can't wait.

John
Old 07-27-2004, 08:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default I am the one with it

O.K. I am finally coming out of the closet with this.....I am the one with the 45rpm. Well, I am not too proud of what I paid for it, and even less proud of what i have been hearing about it. This item has proven to be something of a curiosity at best, dubious may prove to be a better term for it.
I have yet to actually play it because when i do, I would just assume put that first playing on my hard drive. So I am in need of a little component to do so. I have not yet found the time to run out and get it. I also have yet to read the posts on this item. I thought it best to post this before reading them, I feared I would be up all night addressing them.
I did take a quickie scan after this post and needed to post an edit....I hope I haven't upset Mr. Pacheco too much by the purchase. I can say this...I never intended to sell any copies of the recording from day one. It was just a quirky purchase from a fan, not anyone looking to profit. I have nothing but respect for the work...I just want to hear it. Anything that might lessen my chances of hearing more are right out.

Last edited by Oona; 07-27-2004 at 08:56 PM..
Old 07-27-2004, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Well, at least we know now that there really are two. And that John was apparently flat out lied to.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
Well, at least we know now that there really are two. And that John was apparently flat out lied to.
Yeah, the stickler I am for originals in my collection, this is upsetting to me knowing this now, thanks for coming forward Oona, I really appreciate your honesty and light you've been able to shed on this and I sure understand what you meant.

Javier, I'll help out in any way I can with any counterfeit case you might have going.

JOhn
Old 05-28-2005, 10:11 AM
Dreammms
This message has been deleted by Dreammms.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default New info

Hello,
I'm new here and a HUUUUUGE FM fan!

I was reading about the Sincerely San Jose 45 and came across this thread.

First things first: Jeffrey Glenn passed away last year. He was one of
the most knowledgeable and generous music fans I ever came in contact
with. That sentiment seems to have been shared by everyone else, too:
notlameblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/rip-jeff-glenn.html

It's not surprising that it was Jeff who came across the Sincerely San
Jose 45 and was knowledgeable enough and curious enough to make the
connection to Fritz. He made a series of 240 CDRs of obscure 45s and
gave them away to fellow music fans. I was lucky enough for him to
send me (at his expense) vols. 21 & 22.

It saddened me to see Jeff accused of being a bootlegger. Javier
really showed restraint and respect to not release the Fritz material
all those years when I'm sure there were many opportunities to cash
in. And I understand Javier being upset about this record having been
released without his consent. The only thing is that it's a pre-fame
rip-off record that came out in the very early 70's NOT a post-fame
cash-in bootleg pressed c. 2004.

Here is evidence that the Sincerely San Jose 45 was released around 1970:
This is from Billboard magazine, November 21st, 1970.
From Pop 45

Google the label owner's name. He seems to still be around and doesn't
seem to have the greatest reputation. How it came to pass that he
released these two Fritz tracks, I don't know. In his initial posts
Jeff Glenn had a few hypotheses. I doubt we'll get the story from the
horse's mouth.

Luis Suarez
Old 02-02-2011, 01:45 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Re: New info

Thanks Luis for your due diligence in uncovering what I felt in my heart to be true. It was painful to read of Jeff Glenn's name being dragged through the mud and feeling useless to offer a defense, as he'd since passed away (I not long ago found this thread from a search of the 45 in question). The record collecting world is full of shady characters but Jeff was anything but. I knew Jeff from the Poptopia & International Pop Overthrow music fests in LA, and from a music mailing-list I ran called Audities, and he was generous to a fault. Thank you for not only finding the Billboard article, but for posting it here.

Cheers,

- Michael Coxe
San Jose, CA
Old 02-04-2011, 02:26 AM
Registered

It is now 7 years later- I don't recall if I ever read this thread, and now in Feb. 2011, I have read every page and post in it. It's really very interesting.
Mostly, I feel quite bad for Javier, because as little as 7 years ago, Javier was hoping for either a Fritz reunion or the OK from LB&SN to release music he seemed to still love and felt was part of Stevie & Lindsey's legacy.
It is also his legacy, and he didn't have the careers they have had. It seems only fair to him. He wrote that he had 3cds worth of good quality, 'non-filler material' to choose from.
I hope Javier is still alive and well.
How sad that 7 years ago he was holding out hope that his old colleagues might remember how he helped them develop chops that lead to their fame. Sadder still, the feverish focus he had on 2 bootlegs that sold for less than $1600 and it being enough to upset him. He seems like a good man, and must need a nest-egg at this stage of his life.
These posts of his from 7 years ago really are quite heartbreaking, trying to hunt down one person over a bootleg 45.
An arty limited-edition Fritz box set of 3000 copies printed, with the 3 cds of music, reproductions of old concert posters or photos with Javier's liner notes, sold at $70 for the 3 cd set could be a comforting $200,000 for the man, maybe.
It would be more than 'beer money' he wrote of 7 years ago.
I think they'd all be pushing 70 before any court date would be set if there were any objections from the royal court of Buckingham Nicks!
Go for it, Dr. Javier P!
Your turn now, sir.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 02-04-2011 at 04:05 AM..
Old 02-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So strange. I had no idea this thread was here but stumbled on "Sincerely San Jose" on an internet search just a couple of days ago. I wondered what it was. I'll have to read through this thread. Would love a Fritz release.