Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default No Grammy's for "24 Karat Gold"

The Grammy nominations are out 2015 Grammy's and it looks like "24K" has been completely ignored...If Stevie had properly promoted "24K' it might have been a different story.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
The Grammy nominations are out 2015 Grammy's and it looks like "24K" has been completely ignored...If Stevie had properly promoted "24K' it might have been a different story.
I love 24KG but I doubt it, really.

Stevie has never been the Grammy's darling - and they merged the category she used to get nominated for (Best Female Rock Vocal) with its male counterpart a few years back, so the competition is stiff.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think it was eligible....I think the cut off date was September 30th, so even though the vinyl was out, I think the actual street date was viewed as October 7th.
Maybe next year (but I kind of doubt it.....this seems like more of a "fan" album!)?
Old 01-08-2015, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 24 Karat Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
I don't think it was eligible....I think the cut off date was September 30th, so even though the vinyl was out, I think the actual street date was viewed as October 7th.
Maybe next year (but I kind of doubt it.....this seems like more of a "fan" album!)?
Yep. The Grammy cutoff was 9/30, but sometimes labels release the vinyl album prior to the CD/digital release date to be eligible.

Not sure when Stevie's vinyl was released, but I agree with you that this was most likely viewed as a fan album, and not a proper studio album.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Yep. The Grammy cutoff was 9/30, but sometimes labels release the vinyl album prior to the CD/digital release date to be eligible.

Not sure when Stevie's vinyl was released, but I agree with you that this was most likely viewed as a fan album, and not a proper studio album.
Looks like she missed the boat on getting it out on time. What else is new.She is always overlooked with this organization .

I dont know why she waste her time dealing with this organization since they dont give a sheet about her.She and FM are always overlooked.

It will looks like the FM album release will missed the boat for next years Grammy' s.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-09-2015, 02:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

When things miss the eligibility date it doesn't mean they can't be nominated period - it means they can't be nominated for THAT particular year. They just get shifted to the next Grammy's instead.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post

A fan album? Only fans would like TOSOTM or Street Angel or TISL. This album is terrific and for the masses.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
A fan album? Only fans would like TOSOTM or Street Angel or TISL. This album is terrific and for the masses.
I agree with you. 24 Karat Gold is not a 'fan album'. It's critically acclaimed in many publications as her best since the 80's. The Grammy's don't care when songs were written. All that matters is that it meets the criteria for the release dates.

With so many in the music industry professing that Stevie is their darling, you'd think she would have some clout for a nomination.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Record companies and individuals may submit recordings to be nominated. Nominations are made online and a physical copy of the work is sent to the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. Once a work is entered, reviewing sessions are held, by more than 150 experts from the recording industry, to determine whether the work is eligible and entered in the correct category for official nomination.

The resulting list is circulated to all NARAS members, each of whom may vote to nominate in the general field (Record of the Year, Album of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best New Artist) and in no more than nine out of 30 other fields on their ballots. The five recordings that earn the most votes in each category become the nominees, while in some categories (craft and specialized categories) there are review committees in place that determine the final 5 nominees.[13] There may be more than five nominees if there is a tie in the nomination process.

Whereas members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences are generally invited to screenings or are sent DVDs of movies nominated for Oscars, NARAS members do not receive nominated recordings.

After nominees have been determined, final voting ballots are sent to Recording Academy members, who may then vote in the general fields and in no more than eight of the 30 fields. NARAS members are encouraged, but not required, to vote only in their fields of expertise. Ballots are tabulated secretly by the major independent accounting firm Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu.[14] Following the tabulation of votes the winners are announced at the Grammy Awards. The recording with the most votes in a category wins and it is possible to have a tie. Winners are presented with the Grammy Award and those who do not win are given a medal for their nomination.

In both voting rounds, Academy members are required to vote based upon quality alone, and not to be influenced by sales, chart performance, personal friendships, regional preferences or company loyalty. The acceptance of gifts is prohibited. Members are urged to vote in a manner that preserves the integrity of the academy.

The eligibility period for the 57th Annual Grammy Awards was October 1, 2013 to September 30, 2014.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-09-2015, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What? TOSOTM was her most popular release in Europe right, and TISL is amazing, full of "hits" like Planets of the Universe. Street Angel isn't a "fan release" either, although I guess only fans would like it.

But I can see 24 Karat Gold as a "fan album", definitely.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree! I just think it didn't get the proper push/promotion as a brand new studio album from a veteran artist. Of course, her concert schedule with FM may have been the reason why.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

I honestly thought it would sell much better after seeing the Lady video hit 500,000 views in no time at all.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=Nick;1157655]I agree! I just think it didn't get the proper push/promotion as a brand new studio album from a veteran artist. Of course, her concert schedule with FM may have been the reason why.[/QUOTE

Bingo .I agree.The timing was or is all screwed up.The same when she toured with Rod Stewart .She could of takin a rain check from that tour.It ruined her IYD release when she got sick.

To bad the artists or bands have to sign those multiple album contracts.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-11-2015, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmatrix View Post
What? TOSOTM was her most popular release in Europe right, and TISL is amazing, full of "hits" like Planets of the Universe. Street Angel isn't a "fan release" either, although I guess only fans would like it.

But I can see 24 Karat Gold as a "fan album", definitely.
You're crazy. TOSOM did well in Europe because it came after Tango in the Night which was a huge hit over there. She had a major push from The Dance for TISL that led the album to go gold. But the album didn't live up to the hype and never got good word of mouth and just died. Only Nicks fans would like those albums.

24K has the music to back it up. What has killed it is the lack of promotion and her fans who can't get over the demos or get over the fact that the album has actually done well critically.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You're crazy. TOSOM did well in Europe because it came after Tango in the Night which was a huge hit over there. She had a major push from The Dance for TISL that led the album to go gold. But the album didn't live up to the hype and never got good word of mouth and just died. Only Nicks fans would like those albums.

24K has the music to back it up. What has killed it is the lack of promotion and her fans who can't get over the demos or get over the fact that the album has actually done well critically.
I have to disagree, I don't think 24 Karat Gold actually has any hits. It's an awesome album but it's basically a collection of demos and throw-away songs that were re-recorded. It's literally the closest thing you can get to a "fan album" per definition -- a collection of songs that only fans ever knew or cared about. Plus, to quote Stevie, she was trying to "make a good album, not a hit record" (paraphrasing). On the other hand, Rooms on Fire, Two Kinds of Love, Whole Lotta Trouble, Planets in the Universe and Sorcerer are quite well-known. At least here.

Sad TISL didn't get good word of mouth. That album is flawless. I don't know why you call me crazy though, haha. Don't take my opinion of the album as a personal attack? :P

Last edited by twinmatrix; 01-11-2015 at 06:17 AM..
Old 01-11-2015, 06:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmatrix View Post
I have to disagree, I don't think 24 Karat Gold actually has any hits. It's an awesome album but it's basically a collection of demos and throw-away songs that were re-recorded. It's literally the closest thing you can get to a "fan album" per definition -- a collection of songs that only fans ever knew or cared about. Plus, to quote Stevie, she was trying to "make a good album, not a hit record" (paraphrasing). On the other hand, Rooms on Fire, Two Kinds of Love, Whole Lotta Trouble, Planets in the Universe and Sorcerer are quite well-known. At least here.

Sad TISL didn't get good word of mouth. That album is flawless. I don't know why you call me crazy though, haha. Don't take my opinion of the album as a personal attack? :P
If she were in her heyday, plenty of songs would of charted in the top 40 from 24k. Radio won't play her now. She is old, she is a woman and she is rock. Country radio is too backward to play music from a so called witch. 24k is a great album. The songs from TOSOTM and TISL mostly sound like demos.