The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As I mentioned to Elle on FB, I have my doubts as to whether or not the Wilmington DE reviewer was actually there, since there is no mention of the "conspiracy in the front row" and RAB, and if the reviewer was, in fact, in the front row, then there would be some mention of the meet & greet afterwards.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

I love this review, not only because I was THERE for this one, but also because of the way he described the sexual undertones of Lindsey's playing -- and this coming from a man, haha! I have a vivid imagination, and Lindsey's faces, fingers, and "spanking" motion on his guitar are NOT lost on me!! LOL!!! I LOVE ALL OF IT!!!!!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
[Not for the faint-hearted LB fan]

The Other Paper June 20, 2012
http://www.theotherpaper.com/enterta...9bb2963f4.html

by John Petric

Lindsey Buckingham is a girly man. A fiery, passionate girly man, but a girly man nonetheless.

At the Fleetwood Mac frontman’s solo acoustic show Saturday night at the Southern Theatre, it was raw emotion on top of loud emotion divided by whispered emotion times overwhelming emotion. And between songs, it was a spoken load of New Age therapeutic gobbledygook that would make Carly Simon and Barbra Streisand seem positively masculine by comparison.

Bleeech!

When I first saw the Mac with Buckingham back in the ’90s at Polaris, I thought two things about the ol’ Buckeroo’s performance: intense, and a bit unseemly. I mean, he’s the kind of singer who leaves no emotional stone unturned. Every performance is not simply cathartic release but is pushed farther into the graceless land of public breakdown.

He spills his guts and shoves his love-shattered entrails down our gullets. We’re force-fed Lindsey’s every inner primal scream. Mercifully, he stops just short of sobbing outright.

So, Saturday night, right before our eyes, he had a near-emotional breakdown, though this time without a band behind him. Despite his occasional decent turn of phrase and his proven ability to catch a melody and make it his, it ended up being more like a bulimic’s flushing-out purge than a rocker’s solo set.

Perhaps this is what comes from being romantically involved with Stevie Nicks. Did they make each other crazy, or were they both already that way?

But the real all-emotion/all-the-time giveaway was his clichéd patter between songs about how he was no longer the person he was when he wrote such and such a song, or how “stripping something of its nonessentials is the best way to get to the essential,” yada, yada, me, me, me.

Pretty deep, huh? More like totally banal, pal. Who knows, maybe he and Oprah are just a single shape-shifting entity.

Instrumentally, he’s an equally obnoxious fingerpicker, with so little finesse that I’m amazed people regard him so highly. Plus, the small mountain of equipment behind him transformed the output of his electrified acoustic guitars into a roaring, clanging, clanking sound. Such voluminous overkill from an allegedly sensitive guy.

Artistically speaking, Buckingham is no Andrew Bird, who on the very same stage just three months earlier showed what a genuinely touched-by-the-gods musician can do. In comparison, Buckingham is just an earthbound blowhard with a medium-sized songwriting talent.

As he tiptoed like an elephant through the tulips of his considerable solo catalog, he acted like a rock star—bending, howling, emoting, working the stage—and his slobbering fans rewarded him with needless ovations, outstretched hands and virtually religious adoration. Pathetic.

Granted, his “Rockaway Blind” is a good song, as is “Trouble.” And, of course, some of the Fleetwood Mac stuff gets into true classics territory.

So, class, I have just three things to say about Lindsey Buckingham:

1. I can appreciate him at a distance.

2. I roll my eyes more and more the closer I get.

3. His fans can go to hell.
I've never read such a negative review of LB, and it is pretty funny. It's also hard to argue some of his points. We know Lindsey has a high opinion of himself, and his between-song speeches do tend to leave me rolling my eyes, if not outright cringing a bit. Especially if you go to more than one show on the same tour and you realize that he thinks this patter is worth repeating many times!

However, having seen players like Jimmy Page, The Edge, and Steve Howe live, I gotta say LB's playing deserves a lot more respect than Petric gives. LB's right up there among the greats when it comes to his picking, and I think Petric knows that, but lets his personal feelings toward LB "the person" (or at least his public persona) negatively affect his opinion of his guitar-playing.

Still a fun read, though!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Short but stellar: Lindsey Buckingham's solo concert at Birmingham's Alys Stephens Ce

Short but stellar: Lindsey Buckingham's solo concert at Birmingham's Alys Stephens Center (video)
http://www.al.com/entertainment/inde...lo_concer.html

Published: Friday, July 27, 2012, 6:12 PM Updated: Friday, July 27, 2012, 6:12 PM

By Mary Colurso -- The Birmingham News
Review rating: Four out of five stars.

Lindsey Buckingham

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- Who: Lindsey Buckingham, 62, a guitarist, singer, songwriter and producer. He’s best known for his work with the 1970s pop-rock powerhouse, Fleetwood Mac. Buckingham also has a thriving solo career, albeit one that’s smaller in scope.

What: A stellar solo concert -- just one guy and about seven guitars -- tied to Buckingham’s latest recording, 2011’s “Seeds We Sow.”

When and where: 8:05 p.m. Thursday at the Jemison Concert Hall of Birmingham’s Alys Stephens Center. Buckingham’s primary set lasted for an hour; he returned to the stage for a two-song encore.

Audience: An attentive, appreciative group of listeners filled the majority of seats in the concert hall and gave Buckingham several standing ovations. The choral balcony was blocked with curtains; the venue holds about 1,100 people in that configuration.

Set list: Featured “Go Your Own Way,” “Never Going Back Again,” “I’m So Afraid,” “Big Love,” “Trouble,” “Go Insane,” “Cast Away Dreams,” “Bleed to Love Her,” “Not Too Late,” “Come,” “Shut Us Down,” “Stephanie,” “Seeds We Sow.”

Instrumentals: In a word, intense. Buckingham’s guitar work was powerfully emotional and technically exquisite throughout the show. The vigor of his playing resulted in one broken string, but as a rule, he had everything masterfully under control.

Vocals: He’s an expressive stylist, not an immaculate virtuoso. Still, the catches and breaks in his singing -- the little cracks and flaws -- had a great deal of character. Lyrics obviously matter to Buckingham, and he’s written some compelling ones.

Sound: High volume, to match the high intensity level. Buckingham let it rip, surprising any casual fans who expected a low-key vibe.

Demeanor: Whip-smart and philosophical, gracious yet rather severe. Buckingham pointed to Birmingham as “a place we think of as part of our story,” acknowledging some early successes here before he and Stevie Nicks joined Fleetwood Mac. (Apparently, Birmingham was one of a few cities that gave airplay and applause to their early ‘70s duo, Buckingham Nicks.) Buckingham didn’t gush, but made his appreciation clear.

Timing: The show seemed incredibly short, but that’s partly due to Buckingham’s talent. When an hour zips by, the performer on stage must be gifted. Still, another 15-30 minutes of music would’ve been welcome. Need proof? The audience booed in dismay when he announced his exit. “How quickly they turn,” Buckingham quipped.

Verdict: Great stuff. Next time, let’s just have more of it.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default another Birmingham review

http://judi-mindovermatter.blogspot....uckingham.html

Friday, July 27, 2012
An Evening With Lindsey Buckingham

The photo is of Lindsey Buckingham playing a Fleetwood Mac favorite, Go Your Own Way.

I have seen Fleetwood Mac from outside an arena, along with 500 other people who couldn't get a ticket for the Rumours tour; inside the same packed arena for the Tusk tour; Stevie Nicks solo in an arena setting; and, last night, Lindsey Buckingham in a smaller, more intimate but still packed venue. I enjoyed them all.

The Alys Stephens Performing Arts Center in Birmingham houses four intimate venues for performances; Buckingham performed in their 1,330-seat Jemison Concert Hall for just over one hour with a two-song encore, short for a rock concert but he filled that hour with a mix of new music (to me) and his classics. Despite the length, I did not leave unfulfilled.

Buckingham talked about coming full circle from playing smaller venues with Buckingham Nicks to larger venues with Fleetwood Mac to now a solo effort in Birmingham. He commented on the fact that Birmingham and Tuscaloosa gave their music radio play and concert support when they couldn't get an audience in L.A. From last night's response, Birmingham residents still appreciate him and his music. Thanks to that Birmingham radio station, WRKK-FM (?): We never talk while the record is playing.

Is he the most talented guitarist in rock/pop music? I'd say yes. Without a doubt, it was wonderful to get out of my political bubble and spend an evening in a beautiful setting lost in his beautiful music.

Here are only a few of my personal favorites:

Crystal by Buckingham Nicks

Go Your Own Way by Fleetwood Mac

Go Insane by Lindsey Buckingham

Buckingham Nicks (Full Album)
Old 08-01-2012, 12:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20120730/ENT/120739963

Review: Lindsey Buckingham wows enthusiastic crowd in Spartanburg
By Dan Armonaitis dan.armonaitis@shj.com

Published: Monday, July 30, 2012 at 3:22 p.m.

Lindsey Buckingham can sure pick a mean guitar.

The legendary musician, best known for his role in Fleetwood Mac, made that clear with an electrifying solo performance that wowed a small but enthusiastic crowd Sunday at the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium.

So impressive was the manner in which Buckingham moved his fingers that when an audience member loudly proclaimed, "You're the greatest guitarist in the world," it didn't seem that far-fetched a statement.

Buckingham smiled sheepishly when given the compliment but said not a word, instead going right back to work on his musical instrument.

Of course, Buckingham's talents aren't limited to his instrumental prowess; he's also a gifted singer-songwriter with a knack for producing well-crafted pop songs that are loaded with introspective lyrics and memorable hooks.

For about 75 minutes on Sunday, Buckingham performed an assortment of material from his solo career as well as a few audience-pleasing Fleetwood Mac classics.

The show started on a musically pensive note with Buckingham performing "Cast Away Dreams," from his 2006 solo album, "Under the Skin," followed by Fleetwood Mac's "Bleed to Love Her."

Then, after bowing his head in appreciation for the applause he was receiving, Buckingham spoke directly to the crowd for the first time during the evening.

"I always love coming around to this part of the country," Buckingham said. He then elaborated by noting that when he and his then-girlfriend, Stevie Nicks, were struggling in their pre-Fleetwood Mac days, the South was among the first places to show appreciation for their music.

"You guys got it and we've always loved you for it," said Buckingham, a California native.

Throughout the evening, Buckingham made sporadic references to the "big machine" that is Fleetwood Mac and the "small machine" that is his solo career. He talked about how each reinforces the other and helps him grow as an artist.
Mostly, though, Buckingham played his guitar and sang. When he performed a tender instrumental, "Stephanie," from the seminal 1973 Buckingham Nicks album, it was easy to see how his pop inclinations had evolved from the folk-oriented roots music he absorbed as a youth.

From that point forward, Buckingham alternated between high-octane rockers and quiet ballads.

Buckingham gave a particularly intense performance of the title track from his 1984 solo effort, "Go Insane," transforming his smooth vocals into raging primal screams.

Buckingham appeared emotionally invested in each song he performed, often slapping his hands fiercely against the strings of his guitar.

His fiery guitar work was so impressive that he earned standing ovations following three consecutive Fleetwood Mac songs – "Big Love," "I'm So Afraid" and "Go Your Own Way."

Buckingham left the stage after the latter but quickly returned for a two-song encore.

When he blamed his inability to fulfill an audience member's song request on blistered fingers, a female fan seated on the opposite side of the room shouted, "Your fingers are fine."

The sexually suggestive tone in her voice brought laughter from the crowd and put a smile on Buckingham's face.

Buckingham then closed the concert with the title track from his most recent solo album, 2011's "Seeds We Sow."
Old 08-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Franklin show review

http://www.americansongwriter.com/20...e-franklin-tn/

Review: Lindsey Buckingham At Franklin Theatre, Franklin, TN
By Jessica Pace August 1st, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Lindsey Buckingham’s summer tour has already been recognized by American Songwriter, but is something worth revisiting because of the musician’s July 27 sold-out performance on Franklin Theatre’s stage. The 75-year-old movie theater in downtown Franklin, Tenn (just outside Nashville), came back with live music in 2011 when its doors reopened after a four-year dormant period. An intimate room that seats 300, it has a comforting attractiveness; elegant but not flashy, sparkly but warm, it could be likened to Buckingham’s own guitar playing that evening.

At 9pm, he took the stage quietly and set into the beautifully bittersweet “Cast Away Dreams” from Under The Skin. Known to often sing in a low, taut murmur, Buckingham unleashed his vocals fully, fleshing out the thin skins of his doleful strains like the weary beauty “Shut Us Down,” and inspiriting the carefree melodies of songs played with Fleetwood Mac like “Bleed to Love Her” and “Go Your Own Way.”

As is usual for most solo shows by a Fleetwood Mac affiliate, there was reminiscing of the band’s formative years when Buckingham and bandmate/then-romantic partner Stevie Nicks joined. Buckingham talked of drummer Mick Fleetwood’s interest in bringing the guitarist into the band – but he only wanted Lindsey. Buckingham said he’d join, “but you’ve got to take my girlfriend, too.” He got a laugh from the audience upon adding, “It worked out…in some ways.”

Adulation for the artist was shown with standing ovations after most every song, and Buckingham was gracious, bowing over, eyes shut and laughing like he’d never heard applause before.

He picked out the lovely, unsettling “Go Insane,” which was more powerful as an acoustic version than the original, very ’80s take. His haunting words filled the theater: “Two kinds of people in this world/Winners/Losers/I lost my power in this world/Cause I did not use it/So I go insane/Like I always do/And I call your name/She’s a lot like you.”

He stretched the usually springy, chipper Fleetwood Mac version of “Never Going Back Again” as thin as he could, holding the notes on his guitar and in his voice with stark control.

“This is about an idea. It’s a way of thinking that in order to grow, you must constantly seek what is essential, and discard what is inessential,” he said, noting that he was “looking OUT for love, not looking for it,” before the welling, ever-intense wave of “Big Love” flooded the room.

No less than eight guitars made an appearance and caught the stage’s light with every move. Something in the theater’s aesthetic – the lighting combined with the intimacy, the closeness, the quiet – drew a bold line around the artist and matched the music.

Of all the pop bands on top of the world during their era, there were none that had quite the same romance and mystique of Fleetwood Mac. Whatever it was – the inter-band turmoil, the deeply personalized songwriting, Stevie Nicks’ witchy aura – they showed how emotional, how emotive pop music could be. Even when the members took on solo careers, Fleetwood Mac – or the Big Machine, as Buckingham referred to it – was present. Exactly what he gave to the band was audible: technique as sharp as broken glass and addictive pop sense. Buckingham put the same into his solo songs, whose sonic wingspan overwhelmed Franklin Theatre.

He encored with three songs including a hushed, pensive “Trouble” and he finished with “Seeds We Sow,” the airy title track to his 2011 release – by which point a few had abandoned their seats at the front tables to hear the last songs up close.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Charlotte review

Charlotte show (7/31) review here (full text in separate thread) -

http://clclt.com/vibes/archives/2012...heatre-7312012
Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up another Charlotte review

http://shouldersofgiantmidgets.blogs...d-theatre.html

Lindsey Buckingham, The Neighborhood Theatre, July 31, 2012
>> WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 01, 2012

At one point during a lull between two songs, the guy in the seat on the other side of ScatterKat told her about a grim era I'd forgotten all about: how, in the late '80s, Lindsey Buckingham decided to quit Fleetwood Mac, so Fleetwood Mac replaced him with two guys.

That's how they had to do it, see? If they were going to go on. (They shouldn't have tried.)

It's worth starting with that whole disgraceful episode for the same reason last night's concert at the Neighborhood Theatre--"An Evening With Lindsey Buckingham--Solo", they called it--reminded me of an old story Keith Richards told about hearing Robert Johnson for the first time. Back in the 1960s, there was a British LP reissue of a bunch of the old studio recordings Johnson had done in 1936-1937, and someone--I can't remember if Richards said it was Brian Jones or not--played this record for Richards, and while listening to it, Richards asked who it was. "Robert Johnson," they said, and Richards replied, "No, I mean the other guy."

If you don't immediately get that: there was no "other guy". Just Robert Johnson. One guitar. One take. Overdubs not even invented yet, so forget about it.

And this is Lindsey Buckingham: you want to know who the other guy is, and then you see him playing, and there is no other guy. He's someone you've got to replace with two reasonably talented guitar players if you really think you've got to go on and can't hang up your straw hat and call it quits.

He has this distinctive fingerpicking style. It's Chet Atkins-influenced, obviously (and he says so himself), but it isn't Chet Atkins. He right hand thumbs out the rhythm lick while the rest of his fingers are like some kind of tap-dancing spider, except that's a horrid description because it doesn't really do justice to how elegant and feathery his play hand really is; his left is surprisingly still as it floats up and down the frets. There's a solid, square rhythm line under those percussive, ringing arpeggios and then Buckingham suddenly bends at the waist, face contorting as he falls into a moment and both hands explode, the right frenetically lashing the strings while the other hand flows up the frets; he stands straight, stands back, back arched and there it is again--the sound of two guitars coming from the eloquent fingers.

This is the thing you need to know if Lindsey Buckingham is coming to a stage in your area, whether he's coming as the small machine (what he calls his solo stuff these days) or the big machine (the Mac): that Lindsey Buckingham is one of the best guitarists you will ever see in your life. Regardless of whether you like any of his material with or without the band; this is a separate issue, and I couldn't give a damn whether you care for Fleetwood Mac or loathe them, or think you loathe them because there was a Christine McVie song that was sweet the first two times you heard it and the sense of drowning in maple syrup the subsequent hundred-and-fifteen. You will see very few guitar players better than Lindsey Buckingham. He is almost certainly one of the ten best players you will ever see in your life, should you be so lucky. Let me add that I only qualify this as much as I do because there's some slim chance you work at a retirement home for elderly blues musicians or live in some mythical Appalachian valley where every adult male is a blind bluegrass picker with a soul overbrimming with Man's ancient despair boiling up from a bottomless depth. It's just possible you were a roadie for The Yardbirds or something ridiculous like that, and so Lindsey Buckingham manages to tag in as the eleventh-best guitar player you could ever see. Fair enough. But he's good. He's goddamn good.

And when you go, if you go, watch those hands of his. Dammit, watch those hands.

He's doing this solo tour right now, just him with no backing band, on stage accompanied only by a guitar tech who lurks in the background, tuning up the next instrument Buckingham will need in the setlist and efficiently swapping with him between songs. In Charlotte, Buckingham goes from song to song with very little chatter; one or two anecdotes and observations, but mostly just singing and playing. Given the whole bizarre, storied history of Buckingham's other gig, it's probably for the best; no doubt he could do one of the weirdest and bestest extended-length episodes of Storytellers ever, but gods know there have been enough hurt feelings in that catalogue to last a lifetime (just a couple of months ago, a certain drummer was bitching to Playboy about a certain husky-voiced ethereal having the gall to promote her own recent solo work instead of flogging the Mac again--sigh). His best statements, anyway, are the ones coming out of those guitars, and he doesn't need to say much more than that.

It was a good setlist. I was surprised that it covered the whole of his career as much as it did--I think I really expected him to mostly draw from Seeds We Sow, the most recent solo record--but this isn't a complaint; I haven't heard a lot of the latest one, and it was a treat to hear some favorites from the Mac/non-Mac songbook, including "Never Going Back Again", "Go Your Own Way", "Trouble", "Go Insane" and "Big Love". I think he played around eighty minutes, which was a solid set and he seemed to be having a good time busting his ass for us.

It was a pleasure and an honor to see the guy. If he's in your area: seriously, Buckingham ought to be a bucket list (1) artist for you unless you just hate the guitar or something. I don't know what's wrong with you. Buy the damn tickets.

(1) Sorry. I really loathe that cliché. But I really can't beat it.

Posted by Eric on Wednesday, August 01, 2012
Tags: awesomeness, fleetwood mac, guitars, lindsey buckingham, music
Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Charleston review

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/c...nt?oid=4134214

August 08, 2012 MUSIC+CLUBS » LIVE REVIEWS

The Buckingham stops here
Lindesy Buckingham review
by T. Ballard Lesemann

MIKE BILLS
Lindsey Buckingham at the PAC

Lindsey Buckingham
North Charleston Performing Arts Center
Aug. 4

Lindsey Buckingham may be best known for his work with Fleetwood Mac, but he also has six solo albums and two live albums under his belt. Not surprisingly, during his Saturday night gig at the North Charleston Performing Arts Center, he touched on both sides of his career.

With three amp stacks and a large battery of acoustic and semi-acoustic guitars at stage left, the 62-year-old Buckingham opened with a beautiful number titled "Cast Away Dreams" (from his 2006 album Under the Skin). Within moments, it was clear that neither his guitar playing nor his singing had diminished over the years. Buckingham followed the opener with "Bleed to Love Her," a deep cut that ended up on Fleetwood Mac's 1997 album The Dance. He earned standing ovations after both songs, a gesture that fans in the less-than-packed PAC repeated after every song.

After the first four songs, Buckingham started to loosen up a bit, interacting with the more enthusiastic members of the crowd. After one particularly vocal ticket holder hollered, "Lindsey, I love this kind of ****," Buckingham laughed and replied, "Well put, sir. So do I."

Over the course of the evening, he told stories about his early days with songwriting partner Stevie Nicks (he noted that their songs were ignored by Californians in the mid-'70s, but somehow resonated with Southerners). He also touched on the experience of breaking away from Fleetwood Mac and his efforts to reconnect with them later on.

Buckingham closed with two great Mac tunes, an echo-drenched "I'm So Afraid" and a pounding version of "Go Your Own Way," employing tape loop pedals and playing with the intensity of the Rumours/Tusk era. Going a bit wild, he actually beat his guitar neck with his fists during the closing movements of "Go Your Own Way."

After a loud ovation, Buckingham returned to center stage for a two-song encore — a delicate rendition of his early-'80s radio hit "Trouble" and the brooding "Seeds We Sow," the title track from his latest solo collection, Seeds We Sow.

Some fans complained that Buckingham's 85-minute show was too short, but it's always better to catch an intensely passionate performance than one that's too drawn out and lumbering.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Orlando Sentinel
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/ent...laza-live.html

Concert review: Lindsey Buckingham at Plaza Live
Concerts — posted by jimabbott on August, 7 2012 10:38 PM

It was a one-man show by Lindsey Buckingham on Tuesday at Plaza Live:

No opening act. Buckingham didn’t even bring a band.

Yet it would be understandable if members of the sold-out crowd might have needed an occasional reminder that the Fleetwood Mac star was working alone. It seemed incredible that one person could deliver such an array of sounds.

Buckingham and his arsenal of a dozen or so guitars, with subtle help from a few effects pedals, offered an impressive overview of his long career with Fleetwood Mac and as a solo performer.

Unlike many solo shows by members of famous bands, Buckingham’s 80 minutes unfolded without lulls between the biggest hits. He referred to his band and solo careers as the “big machine” and ”small machine,” then demonstrated that he can harness both engines effectively.

He blended the big and small in the early moments, shifting from the opening “Cast Away Dreams” (off the 2006 solo album “Under the Skin”) into ”Bleed to Love Her,” a Fleetwood Mac song that first surfaced on 1997’s “The Dance.”

“Thank you all for coming out tonight in the rain for part of this little experiment,” said Buckingham, who wasn’t as chatty as his bandmate Stevie Nicks was last week at Amway Center, but still willing to offer insights into the music.

Even better, his exceptionally intricate guitar technique injected the material with astounding emotional range. In songs such as “Not Too Late,” his fleet finger-picking was feather-light — until it exploded like a match to gasoline into an intense crescendo.

On the instrumental “Stephanie,” Buckingham unleashed a brilliant ringing tone that sounded like chimes. “Go Insane” built from its ominous, slowly creeping introduction into another big finale.

Buckingham used more expressive dynamic shifts to elevate Fleetwood Mac favorite ”Never Going Back Again,” taking the song down to an intimate whisper in the verses. On the other end of the spectrum, he pounded the neck of his guitar in the raucous chorus to “I’m So Afraid,” a song propelled by the addition of booming bass drum.

The solo tour might be the small side of Buckingham’s career, but it still makes a mighty big sound.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default another Charleston review

(some nice photos too)

http://charlestongrit.com/dont-stop

Don't Stop
Posted On:
August 9, 2012 - 9:52am
BY:
DEVIN GRANT

One of my earliest musical memories that involved seeking out music on my own involves Lindsey Buckingham. At the age of seven I inherited a clunky little clock radio from my parents, the kind that had the little numbered plastic panels that flipped over each minute to show the correct time. It was high-tech back in the mid-'70s, and when I went to bed each night I turned it on with the volume very low and listened to San Diego radio station KGB-FM (looking back on it now, probably the coolest call letters you could have in the middle of the Cold War).

It was while listening to that radio that I started breaking away from the listening habits instilled in me by my parents; he of the Kingston Trio and Simon & Garfunkel albums, and she of the Beatles, country music, and show tunes. I discovered the good stuff (The Who, Rod Stewart, Eric Clapton) and the questionable (a strange fascination with the Silver Convention song "Fly Robin Fly"). And one sound I continually gravitated toward though back in 1977 was that of Fleetwood Mac.

Fleetwood Mac

At seven years old I was too young to know the name Fleetwood Mac. The band had recently switched from being a British blues powerhouse to adopting a more pop-oriented California rock sound, thanks to the addition of Americans Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. Fleetwood Mac released its masterpiece, "Rumours," that year, and the band's music was everywhere. But again, since I was in first grade and as yet innocent to the intoxicating and addictive business of rock and roll (oh, I'd fall under its spell soon enough), I only knew what I was hearing on my trusty clock radio. Looking back now, although I really didn't know, or really care about the song titles, I was waiting for songs like "Dreams," "Don't Stop," and "Go Your Own Way" to come on. The vocals of Nicks and Buckingham mesmerized me, even though I had no idea who they were. All I knew was that those voices, coupled with Mick Fleetwood's trademark thump-ah-thump drum sound and Buckingham's screaming guitar gave me goosebumps.

Once I started actually paying attention to names—titles and songs—I became a huge Fleetwood Mac fan. I've never been able to see the band live though, which is why I was really looking forward to seeing Buckingham when he performed at the North Charleston Performing Arts Center last Saturday night. There was no opening act, and surprisingly there were only about 700 people there for the show. Buckingham walked onstage with an acoustic guitar just after 9 p.m., greeted the audience, and kicked into "Castaway Dreams."

For a solo act, Buckingham sure came prepared. An impressive array of amplifiers and equipment sat behind him on the stage, and an equally amazing collection of guitars were tucked away just offstage. After a lesser-known Fleetwood Mac tune, "Bleed to Love Her," and another song, "It's Not Too Late," Buckingham's roadie brought out his trademark Model One electric guitar. Just the sight of the instrument inspired hoots of joys from the audience. Buckingham launched into another Mac song, "Come," and quickly demonstrated why he's considered to be one of the best guitarists on the planet. The song's solo was an angry, screaming, blisteringly beautiful eruption that had the crowd on its feet for a standing ovation before the song was over.

Further highlights throughout Buckingham's all too brief set included a slowed-down, folky version of his solo hit "Go Insane," and a gorgeous take on a pair of Mac songs, "Never Going Back Again," and "Big Love." "Never Going Back Again" found the artist beautifully recreating his intricate guitar chords first heard on "Rumours." Prior to performing "Big Love," a hit from Mac's 1987 album "Tango in the Night," Buckingham told the audience that the song's lyrics are often misinterpreted. He went on to explain that at the time he wrote the song he was weary of romance, and so he was in effect "looking out for love," as in trying to avoid it. The acoustic performance, during which Buckingham employed loop pedals to layer his guitar riffs, was raw and intense.

The electric guitar came back out for a couple more Mac songs, including "I'm So Afraid" and "Go Your Own Way." On both songs Buckingham went a little crazy, literally punching and beating the instrument like it owed him money. It was spectacular to watch. For the encore Buckingham returned to the stage with an acoustic guitar to perform "Trouble" and the title track to his latest solo album "Seeds We Sow."

Up until that point I'd been pretty proud of the audience for keeping quiet while Buckingham performed. It was the total opposite of the rudeness I experienced a couple of weeks ago at the Jackson Browne concert. But inevitably there had to be one guy in the crowd who had to ruin the streak. As Buckingham started telling a story prior to "Trouble," an audience member a few rows back from the front stood up and started gushing to the artist about how much he loved him. "I love that ****," exclaimed the fan, causing Buckingham to raise his eyebrows in a way that said "Really?" After a moment the musician smiled and replied, "Well put, sir! So do I!" As Buckingham announced that Fleetwood Mac would indeed be touring next year, another audience member shouted out that he liked Buckingham's solo band. Buckingham smiled, shook his head, and said, "You guys are special." That got a huge laugh from the crowd. A moment after he said it, Buckingham seemed to realize the double meaning of the statement and attempted to explain that the statement was sincere.

It was great to finally see someone who had been pretty instrumental in my musical upbringing. Even at 62 years of age, and with really nothing left to prove, Buckingham remains a passionate and energetic performer. He's also incredibly gracious, stopping after each song to take a bow and drink in the crowd's applause in a way that lets one know he truly appreciates it. When Fleetwood Mac tours next year, I'll drive any distance to see them live. For now though, Saturday night's show was a great experience.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Humanizing the Vacuum, August 9, 2012
http://humanizingthevacuum.wordpress...ey-buckingham/

Lean, wry, and purposeful, Lindsey Buckingham couldn’t be mistaken for anything other than a guitar hero. At the Gusman Center last night, he not only plucked and strummed the hell out of a formidable six- and twelve-string arsenal, he also looked like a guitar and sang like a guitar. Rumours‘ “Never Going Back Again” and the spartan rearrangement of “Big Love” with which we’ve grown familiar since 1997′s The Dance boasted howls, whoops, and yells that substituted for rhythm guitar fills, bass, and drums. As to the former, it was hard distinguishing Buckingham from his instrument: he has the skinniest legs in rock, atop which a torso of uncertain definition is sheathed by a leather jacket. Although we trembled for the evening when we remembered his weakness for ‘tween-song homilies – El Lay self-help banalities that he weeds out of his lyrics – he stuck to a couple of perfunctory, respectful allusions to “my former girlfriend” (tip: not the one who inspired “Go Insane”) and “The Big Machine” i.e. that other band of his. No rancidness either, just tips of the hat to a past shared by he and the audience. Watching the show I kept thinking of Richard Thompson, that other guitar hero whom one could never confuse with a singer-songwriter-strummer. While both concentrate on a hell of a lot of what Robert Christgau once called (about Thompson) the perfidy-of-women routine, Buckingham’s dizzying octave leaps and multitracked, closely miked harmonies (on record) mitigate his sourness. Sure he relies on arpeggios and played just one song from Seeds We Sew; but Buckingham’s intensity was an unexpected delight; it’s like he absorbed the character in and performance of “Not That Funny.” Let’s start a letter writing campaign begging him and Christine McVie to tour together.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^I am not interested in begging him to tour with Christine, but I have begged him to do whatever it takes to work with her again and pointed out that he actually has more leverage in the band with Christine, than with her gone.

If he goes over and works with Christine, the two of them are just fine together with no one else. A duet for a solo album of his. I'm in. But if he wants FM as a whole, once he has Christine, he doesn't have to convince the other 3 to do a single thing. They will fall in line.

Michele
Old 08-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
^I am not interested in begging him to tour with Christine, but I have begged him to do whatever it takes to work with her again and pointed out that he actually has more leverage in the band with Christine, than with her gone.
i thought of you when i read that comment how LB and Christine should get together and tour.