The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-06-2002, 11:42 AM

Default Big bad poster

Some of you will be happy to know that I've been given a "strike" for "insulting" and "name calling." That came from The Penguin himself. Oh my.

Well, if you notice that I've stopped posting one of these days, and I'm sure many of you would love that, it's because I've been kicked out. Because it seems that this is a preliminary step for that.

Good luck to you all.

Last edited by CarneVaca; 07-06-2002 at 06:08 PM..
Old 07-06-2002, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Big bad poster

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Well, if you notice that I've stopped posting one of these days, and I'm sure many of you would love that, it's because I've been kicked out. Because it seems that this is a preliminary step for that.
That would be a shame, as far as I'm concerned. I get a kick out of reading your take on Lindsey & Fleetwood & all the other paraphernalia we rap about. I suppose if the moderator thing gets you down, you can always check out the alt.music.fleetwood-mac Usenet group, which is completely decentralized & unmoderated. I have always gravitated toward Usenet for that reason; I'm willing to tolerate the bad (trolling) in order to get the good (unfettered commentary & automatic archiving for future reference). At the very least, it gives me a less Rousseauesque, more Hobbesian atmosphere -- "nature red in tooth & claw" -- than is typically found on the more tightly controlled Web boards.

As for the moderated boards, it's a private spot. The board owners & administrators call the shots, which is their prerogative -- after all, they're picking up the tab. You can't get mad at a dog because it doesn't behave like a cat. Moderated Web boards are their own animal, distinct from the free-for-all called Usenet. A healthy daily dollop of both clears the head.
Old 07-06-2002, 01:52 PM
Ledgie

Thumbs up Welcome to the Club, CV

If YOU've received your cherry strike, one can only presume (perhaps against hope) that The Lovely and Gracious Tyshiria has also received one for her screeching of "Die fast!" which, undeniably, is posting at its most mature, articulate and well-thought-out.

It only gets better from here, Carne!

Old 07-06-2002, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Big bad poster

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
That came from The Penguim himself. Oh my.
Just for the record, strikes are awarded by The Moderators and not by The "Penguim" himself.

Barbara
Old 07-06-2002, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Re: Big bad poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbara

Just for the record, strikes are awarded by The Moderators and not by The "Penguim" himself.

Barbara
OK, thanks for clarifying. I thought it was The Penguin himself because the addressee was identified as such. I got a huge kick out of it. I mean here you have someone calling him/herself "The Penguin" while taking him/herself so seriously and talking about "strikes" and vague supposed indignities that I have committed. I'm still waiting for a reply specifying exactly what my transgressions were because, as I mentioned, the reasons given were rather vague.

This is the funniest kangaroo court ever -- one headed by a penguin no less.
Old 07-06-2002, 06:11 PM

Oh, David, thanks for the sentiment. I think I will check out the usenet groups.

And Carole Ann, I must have missed the "die fast" post; I don't remember seeing it. Of course I don't know if the individual in question received a strike. But I would guess not, since she hasn't really posted anything negative toward the band. That seems to be the true violation here regardless of what "The Moderators" or "The Penguin" say.

That's all for now from,

"The Big Bad Poster"

Last edited by CarneVaca; 07-06-2002 at 06:13 PM..
Old 07-06-2002, 07:30 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

I put away my moderating 'shoes' some time ago but still forward the strike correspondences on behalf of the moderators. The issuing of strikes has nothing to do with attitudes towards the band but rather violations of the posted FAQ. You can believe whatever you want though. And in case you didn't notice, 'The Penguin' is the name of this website due to the history of Fleetwood Mac-- hence my username and email address.

- Marty