Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What could have been

I have been watching The Dance DVD on heavy rotation and getting nostalgic about the first and only time I saw the Mac live - On With the Show in Sydney in 2015. It was of course the Rumours line up.

So I can't stop thinking about what could have been. I know there are all sorts of theories circulating here as to why Lindsey "took leave of my band of 43 years" and I highly doubt any of them are accurate. Only five people know the genuine reason as to why Lindsey was dismissed...well quite possibly less than five, as we are led to believe that Christine and John were not involved in the decision.

This is a thread to discuss what we're missing out by not having Lindsey. It is also a thread to discuss what we are gaining.

My biggest gripe? I think if Lindsey was still in the band we would have got some new music in the setlist, even if it was just On With the Show and Carnival Begin. I will NOT miss I'm So Afraid, which goes on for what feels like 12 minutes and is an excellent opportunity for a bathroom break to take a massive dump.
What are we gaining? Biggest bonus for me is some blues era Fleetwood Mac tunes.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think they would have played any of the BM songs because even though it was almost Fleetwood Mac, it wasn't officially Fleetwood Mac and I think Lindsey believed that they should only play Fleetwood Mac songs at a Fleetwood Mac concert. I think that's why they stopped doing Stand Back and Go Insane at around the same time. Which makes sense, I see his point about that.
And now they'll possibly be singing Tom Petty songs! At a Fleetwood Mac concert! Because that makes total sense!
I think he might still have tried to get Stevie to do a new album, or would have wanted to. It probably wouldn't have worked but I can imagine he still would've tried.
And I think it's probably through some of the more obvious Lindsey songs likely being gone (like ISA, Big Love. Second Hand News) that's how they're gonna get the chance to do those blues songs. As FM77 pointed out before, on the other tours even if they had wanted to do them, neither Lindsey nor Stevie were gonna switch out one of their songs for it. But now they have that chance.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'll give it a shot. Just my opinion of course, but I'll try to be somewhat reasonable.

What we lose:
1. An amazing guitar player whose style CANNOT be replicated.
2. The silent on-stage chemistry that only the core 5 can provide.
3. The opportunity to hear any new songs (a la The Dance) or BuckVie songs performed by the Mac.
4. The opportunity to hear any awesome Lindsey tunes outside of GYOW like Tusk, Eyes of the World, Monday Morning, Blue Letter, Second Hand News, I Know I'm Not Wrong, Crystal, Tango in the Night, electric Big Love, etc.
5. What I expect is the only force keeping Stevie's solo stuff out of the set. The Mac does a great job with Stand Back but I'd rather them play another true Mac tune.

What we gain:
1. Less fake stage-drama (the Sara hugs, Silver Springs eye contact, etc) Could be a bad thing depending on your perspective but its a pro for me. More of a genuine atmosphere.
2. A solid chance for a mixed up setlist. Lindsey understandably never wanted to play material that wasn't his, so the reintroduction of some older material should be interesting. It's a big gap to fill and I'm looking forward to what they come up with. The 24KG tour has hopefully convinced Stevie that she can stray from the stale setlist she's used to a bit and do some interesting songs. Chris has plenty she can dredge up as well (ISN'T IT MIDNIGHT).
3. Don't know anything about Neil Finn but he seems to have a decent voice, maybe it'll add to some of the songs harmony-wise? Campbell is a unique player as well, maybe he'll add a different style to some songs.
4. Less stale Lindsey tunes. I'm So Afraid doesn't have much luster anymore, same with acoustic Big Love, NGBA, Say Goodbye, Bleed to Love Her and Go Insane.
5. .....maybe Chris and Stevie can add to the Petty and Finn songs that are bound to come up? I'm open to it but not expecting much.

Controversial opinion: We also gain by not being led along by the band for years waiting for new music. No more reading into vague and not-so-vague statements in hope that it'll actually happen when a crucial component hasn't been interested in 15 years. Not a thing I like accepting though

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)