The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:27 PM

Default 40 Years Ago: Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham Play First Show With Fleetwood Mac

40 Years Ago: Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham Play First Show With Fleetwood Mac
By Bryan Wawzenek May 15, 2015 10:40 AM

Less than six months earlier, the situation looked pretty dire for a couple of young musicians named Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. Though the duo had released an album, the self-titled Buckingham Nicks, they were still paying off the studio fees – with Nicks doing housework and Buckingham contributing session work to Los Angeles’ Sound City Studios.

It was at Sound City that everything changed. Fleetwood Mac drummer Mick Fleetwood was checking out studios for his band’s next project and Buckingham was the guitarist chosen to demonstrate Sound City’s sonic capabilities. When current Fleetwood Mac guitarist Bob Welch departed abruptly in late 1974, Fleetwood remembered Buckingham and asked him to join.

He was standing there grooving to this searing guitar solo and he needed a guitar player,” Buckingham later told Uncut. “That was as far as his thinking went. I had to explain we came as a duo. Stupid me, eh?

With some trepidation (mostly because Fleetwood was worried that Christine McVie wouldn’t be thrilled having another woman in the band), Fleetwood extended the offer to both of the musicians, who quickly passed muster with bassist John McVie and keyboardist Christine. They all made it official on the last day of 1974.

The new, five-member Fleetwood Mac got to work quickly in 1975, recording the classic Fleetwood Mac album in about 10 days at Sound City. Songwriting duties were split between Buckingham and Nicks (who drew on leftovers from their former group as well as songs for a potential second LP) and Christine McVie. Among the songs that would become classics, “Over My Head,” “Monday Morning” and “Rhiannon” – which most often proved to be the show-stopper during the band’s 1975 concerts.

The other four members would begin playing before Nicks would appear onstage in a black top hat or flowing capes and announce “this is a song about a Welsh witch.” That might be the way the 10th (and most successful) incarnation of Fleetwood Mac introduced themselves when they played their first show as a unit in El Paso on May 15, 1975.

No matter how the show began, it had to be a somewhat strange experience for those who attended. Not only was the new album a couple of months away from release, this new version of Fleetwood Mac marked a radical departure from the Macs of the past (from Peter Green onward). Nicks remembers working quite hard to make an impression. “We just played everywhere and we sold that record,” she said. “We kicked that album in the ass.

Fleetwood Mac toured incessantly from May 1975 until the fall of the next year when, 15 months after it was first released, Fleetwood Mac hit No. 1.

Read More: 40 Years Ago: Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham Play First Show With Fleetwood Mac | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/nicks...ckback=tsmclip
Old 05-17-2015, 12:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default wow..

beautiful concert.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Ok...

I've never seen this show, so I'm having a virgin moment here... but, wow.

How can you not love Christine - opening the show with two incredible songs...

we only get part of Rhiannon, but what a part.. And Lindsey rocked those Peter Green songs... love Stevie at the end of Green Manalishi.. just love this concert. Thanks for sharing... perfect for a breezy, rainy Saturday night... thank you!
Old 05-17-2015, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default deede..

love the pony tail Stevie... love you on World Turning..
Old 05-17-2015, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm confused. This is a really cool video, but it's not the first concert Lindsey and Stevie played with Fleetwood Mac, right? The date on the video is October '75 and the in the text is May '75.

But it's very cool. Thanks.

Kevin
Old 05-17-2015, 12:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just speed watched it. I will watch it again from start to finish when I have more time. I also love the pony tail. I love how raw their sound was. The black and white is interesting. I find it interesting that Stevie wore the top hat even before she became famous. I think that took courage actually, and courage for the band to let everyone be who they were. It's too bad so many of the songs' beginnings were cut out of the video. Is this the Passaic show that was widely bootlegged? Anyway, lots of fun. Thanks again.

Kevin
Old 05-17-2015, 02:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

they really did gel as a live band straight away. Looks like an awesome show to watch- I'd take a line-up like that now.
Looks like the World Turning drum solo was a bit more palatable back then.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Watched this whilst reading the weekend papers..........
Didn't read for long....amazing.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:27 AM

This is the oldest Fleetwood Mac footage available from Passaic, 17 October 1975, and it's been taken out from the Wolfgang Vault's archive last year. Since we don't have any footage nor pictures from their first show I think they settled for this.

P.S. It's not the same Passaic show of the famous bootleg, that was performed on the 3rd of May.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 05-17-2015 at 07:29 AM..
Old 05-17-2015, 07:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

According to FMLegacy the first show of 1975 was on April 12 at the Balboa Bowl in San Diego and the second show was 3 weeks later on May 5 at the Northlands Coliseum in Edmonton, AB. The El Paso date is listed after that with possibly a few dates missing inbetween. (http://web.archive.org/web/201208262....com/main.html). So did these pre-El Paso dates actually take place, does anyone have any info?

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Sanne2; 05-17-2015 at 08:46 AM..
Old 05-17-2015, 07:48 AM

http://www.buckinghamnicks.info/fm-fleetwood-mac says the same thing; rereading the article it says that "they played their first show as a unit in El Paso on May 15, 1975.", so maybe during the previous dates not all the 5 new members were present...
Old 07-23-2015, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Did Stevie and Lindsey have a romance on tour?]

From an article on Nicki Minaj

http://www.app.com/story/entertainme...rdom/30588313/

Also, Philly rapper Meek Mill is on the bill. He’s Minaj’s significant other at the moment, and the amount of buzz on social media the two are generating harkens back to the tour romance of Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:17 PM

I was watching this a few days ago. Christine sounds amazing on Spare Me... wow..

What a great band!
Old 07-23-2015, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
[Did Stevie and Lindsey have a romance on tour?]

From an article on Nicki Minaj

http://www.app.com/story/entertainme...rdom/30588313/

Also, Philly rapper Meek Mill is on the bill. He’s Minaj’s significant other at the moment, and the amount of buzz on social media the two are generating harkens back to the tour romance of Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham.
good thing they were only together for a tour fling.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow is Rhiannon the only Stevie song in the whole set??