The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Which do you WANT to win Best Picture?
Babel 1 3.70%
The Departed 10 37.04%
Letters from Iwo Jima 3 11.11%
Little Miss Sunshine 10 37.04%
The Queen 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The OFFICIAL Oscar Results poll

The title had to be long and involved, just like the show. The only thing I couldn't fit it was "RIGHT NOW"!

Pick your fave for Best Picture in the poll - who you WANT to win, not who you think will win. For all other categories, list your faves and/or predictions.

Send your excess good karma to Ellen.

And I only learned recently that the guy from Bad News Bears was up for Best Supporting Actor. How cool is that?
Old 02-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I want to see, but haven't seen any of these.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers View Post
I want to see, but haven't seen any of these.
You should run and rent LMS tonight. Totally serious.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm a movie freak. Once the Oscar nominations are announced, I see them all. For the past ten years, or so, I have put out my predictions the Friday before the awards to family and friends. Here's this years...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
This has been quite a year for the ex-American Idol contestant. Perfectly cast as Effie, she has been winning every award that she's been nominated for. However, the Academy could very well shake things up and give this award to the amazing Cate Blanchett (probably my favorite working actress today) for her incredible performance in Notes On A Scandal. Also in the running is Abigail Breslin, who was adorable in Little Miss Sunshine and has a lot of buzz behind her. But it was Jennifer Hudson that knocked everyone's socks off. She's a real winner.

Best Supporting Actor: Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls
Hollywood loves a comeback and this was a role that Eddie Murphy brought to life and reminded people what a talent he is. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the award goes to Alan Arkin. He was absolutely hilarious as the drug addicted grandfather in Little Miss Sunshine and he has a lot of support in the industry. But I think Mr. Murphy will get the award.

Best Actress: Helen Mirren, The Queen
One of the strongest best actress nominations in years, each lady is deserving of this award. But Helen Mirren is in a class all her own. She is the real deal. The only upset (and a highly unlikely one) would be five-time nominated Kate Winslet for Little Children. But this will definitely be Miss Mirren's night.

Best Actor: Forest Whitaker, The Last King Of Scotland
A brilliant performance and hands down the best acting job of the year. There is talk that seven-time loser Peter O'Toole might pick up the sympathy votes for his role in Venus, but he has already won an honorary award in 2003. I think Mr Whitaker will walk away with the Oscar.

Best Documentary: An Inconvenient Truth
Al Gore's film about global warming is something that every person on this planet should see.

Best Animated Film: Cars
While Happy Feet was a huge box office hit, the technology behind Cars left the penguins in the dust.

Best Direction: Martin Scorcese, The Departed
Although there is stiff competition from Clint Eastwood, the Academy will honor Mr Scorcese. After seven nominations and zero wins, it's his time.

Best Picture: Babel
This is the most difficult category to predict. While I personally would love to see Little Miss Sunshine win (a comedy hasn't won this award since 1998's Shakespeare In Love), the real race is between The Departed and Babel. I wasn't knocked out by either film, to be honest. I found The Departed to be too preachy and Babel to be too much like last years winner, Crash. But I think the Academy will go with Babel.

rbs
Old 02-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Departed is excellent, it's Scorsese, a solid star cast and a commercial hit.
I would like to see it win not because it's an absolutely brilliant movie but because the Academy should damn well show Scorsese some respect. I know he is tipped to finally win best director but to give him that without best picture would make it seem too much like a sympathy/consolation prize.

The queen is fine but not best picture material IMO.

Babel is good but uneven. It is this years Crash.

Letters from Iwo jima is excellent but will anyone have even seen it to vote for it.

Little Miss Sunshine - I've heard good things about it, haven't seen it yet. To be honest it doesn't really appeal to me from the clips I've seen but I know many people love it.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have yet to see any of these movies.

All I care about is the fashion. Oh...and Jennifer Hudson singing on the broadcast.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

As always, my favorites weren't nominated. But I chose Departed for best pic. I still think Babel is totally overrated. LMS is cute, but not best pic material. Queen is good, but not best pic material. I didn't see Iwo Jima and don't plan to.

I would like to see Ryan Gosling and Judi Dench win for Actor/Actress. Both the best acting jobs of the year by far. And Hudson/Murphy for supporting.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I voted Sunshine based on the fact that it's the only one I've seen out of the bunch.

BUT I did manage to find the only copy of The Departed left to rent in my town - so I'll be watching that tonight, couldn't find Babel...but want to see that as well.

So I've not seen many of the movies, but I am so looking forward to the awards.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypt View Post
As always, my favorites weren't nominated. But I chose Departed for best pic. I still think Babel is totally overrated. LMS is cute, but not best pic material. Queen is good, but not best pic material. I didn't see Iwo Jima and don't plan to.

I would like to see Ryan Gosling and Judi Dench win for Actor/Actress. Both the best acting jobs of the year by far. And Hudson/Murphy for supporting.

Ricky, I didn't think I would want to see letters fom Iwo jima. But I got to see it anyway because I get tickets to review movies. It is really, really good. Excellent in fact. If you get a chance, do see it.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't seen Little Miss Sunshine and the Departed yet (been waiting for them to be released on rental), so I can't make a decision, but both Babel and The Queen were excellent movies. The Clint Eastwood flick bored me.

I'll definitely be watching tonight, I always do. My sis is out getting the booze and food ready for the festivities. For European Ledgies: the show airs on Pro7 and in the Netherlands on Film1. The red carpet arrivals will be on E!.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default love the movies..

My should and will win picks - imho...

MOTION PICTURE:
Should and Will Win: Letters from Iwo Jima (Clint Eastwood, Steven Spielberg, Robert Lorenz)

Comment: If voters actually viewed all films then I have to believe that they will honor this excellent movie. By far the best of the nominees. I can’t see any of the other four movies being honored as best film of the year.

DIRECTING:
Will Win: The Departed (Martin Scorsese)
Should Win: Letters From Iwo Jima (Clint Eastwood)

Comment: I hate IOU Oscars, as it chips away the academy’s credibility in honoring the best for the year. You are in good company, Marty – Alfred Hitchcock and Robert Altman. I just viewed (via DVD) the Departed again. Good, but doesn’t even compare to Raging Bull and Goodfellas. I know he’s already won twice for Best Director, but Clint deserves it again for his war movie from the Japanese perspective. However, I will gladly applaud Scorcese's long overdue Oscar, as he is one of my favorite directors.

LEAD ACTOR:
Will Win: Peter O'Toole, Venus
Should Win: Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland

Comment: Whitaker by far gave the most interesting and compelling performance and I hope I am so wrong with this prediction. Peter O’Toole would be my 4th choice in this category but can the academy deny him for the 8th time straight? And all this talk about his career – well he did receive a “career” award two years ago. And speaking of career work, how about Forest Whitaker – talking about being snubbed over the years. O”Toole’s dirty old man in “Venus” doesn’t even come close to Whitaker’s sensational performance in “Last King of Scotland.” He played an aging actor – what a stretch. The only time I was a bit moved by O’Toole was the scene with him and his wife during dinner when he fell apart. His performance was at times overshadowed by the other performances in the movie, unlike Whitaker who was the center of attention when on screen. However, the academy is old and male and I really can’t see him losing again. I hope I am so wrong.

LEAD ACTRESS:
Should and Will Win: Dame Helen Mirren, The Queen

Comments: Standing ovation performance. The first box I checked on my Oscar pool ballot.

SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Should Win: Djimon Hounson, Blood Diamond
Will Win: Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls

I loved Hounson’s performance in Blood Diamond and scratch my head when I read reviews that is was such a one note performance. I thought Mark Walhberg and Alan Arkin were more one noters – yelling and cursing and that’s about it. Hounson’s performance of passion and pain was the best thing about Blood Diamond. However, I think Eddie Murphy will win, and although I felt he gave a good performance, I don’t consider it Oscar worthy. He just did something different than his usual fare.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Should Win: Adriana Barraza, Babel
Will Win: Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls

After Hudson finished her showstopper “And I’m Telling You” I turned to my friend and said “she just won an Oscar.” I loved Jennifer Hudson's performance and it definitely is Oscar worthy. However, like so many years, more than one performance is deserving and if I was a voting member of the academy I would check Adriana Barraza’s box for best supporting actress. Her desperate performance stuck with me long after I left the theater – and since Babel was full of many emotional moments, that says a lot about the power of her performance. However, like the Queen, Jennifer Hudson will win and I will applaud her for being the highlight of Dreamgirls.

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
Will Win: The Departed (William Monahan)
Should Win: Little Children (Todd Field, Tom Perrotta)

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
Should Win: Letters from Iwo Jima (Iris Yamashi!a, Paul Haggis)
Will Win: Little Miss Sunshine (Michael Arndt)

and last but not leave - Pulling big time for Melissa Ethridge to win best original song for "Inconvenient Truth."

Enjoy the show..
Old 02-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Pulling big time for Melissa Ethridge to win best original song for "Inconvenient Truth."

Enjoy the show..

Great song.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs3676 View Post
Best Supporting Actor: Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
My should and will win picks - imho...

SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Should Win: Djimon Hounson, Blood Diamond
Will Win: Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls
Do you guys give any credence to the Norbitt backlash that was reported in a few places a couple of weeks ago? Er - I just did a quick google - it's everywhere now...
Old 02-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I haven't seen any of these yet but Helen Mirren's in The Queen so I figure it's a safe bet.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxxed View Post
And I only learned recently that the guy from Bad News Bears was up for Best Supporting Actor. How cool is that?
I'm rooting for him.