The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 03-28-2018, 05:50 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I hear elements of "I'm So Afraid" in "Come."

"Eyes of the World" starts with a chord progression straight out of "Stephanie" (something I always thought was pretty harsh if deliberate).
Not to mention Pachelbel's Canon...
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 03-28-2018, 06:12 PM
sodascouts's Avatar
sodascouts sodascouts is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Memphis area
Posts: 4,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Not to mention Pachelbel's Canon...
Yes, but Pachelbel's Canon is not rhythmically the same as those songs; "Eyes of the World" and "Stephanie" not only match in the chords but in the rhythm. The similarity is striking, IMHO.
__________________
- Nancy


Last edited by sodascouts : 03-28-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 03-29-2018, 09:26 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Yes, but Pachelbel's Canon is not rhythmically the same as those songs; "Eyes of the World" and "Stephanie" not only match in the chords but in the rhythm. The similarity is striking, IMHO.
Agreed...

I put on Pachelbel's Canon in D and sang LB/CM parts to it.

Works like Christine Perfect...
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 06-23-2018, 06:37 PM
sodascouts's Avatar
sodascouts sodascouts is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Memphis area
Posts: 4,173
Default

Sitting on the couch tonight with a glass of wine listening to the bluray audio. Lindsey's amazing vocal on Crystal, so pure, almost bringing me to tears. Stevie's tender Landslide doing the same. I have a new appreciation for the intricacies of Sugar Daddy.

This group was magic. There will never be any other like them.

And they threw it all away!
__________________
- Nancy

Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 06-23-2018, 08:08 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 5,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
And they threw it all away!
It’s not like they had much “it” left anymore. None of them have great voices left, they need practically another band to do a show, and they’re relying heavily on “prerecords.” They are a far cry from who they were.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/SteveMacD/fm2014_zps5c60d7b9.jpg
Stephen Hopkins

https://www.facebook.com/Espy.Hopkins ; @espyhop)
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 06-23-2018, 09:42 PM
sodascouts's Avatar
sodascouts sodascouts is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Memphis area
Posts: 4,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
It’s not like they had much “it” left anymore. None of them have great voices left, they need practically another band to do a show, and they’re relying heavily on “prerecords.” They are a far cry from who they were.
Go ahead and try to build up what's coming by minimizing what's been destroyed. The truth is that whatever greatness Fleetwood Mac had is now gone.
__________________
- Nancy

Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 06-23-2018, 10:02 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 5,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Go ahead and try to build up what's coming by minimizing what's been destroyed. The truth is that whatever greatness Fleetwood Mac had is now gone.
And, it has been since 1982, at least as far as shows are concerned. For all the crap they get, the “Time” crew were able to do shows with just six people on stage and no backing tracks. To be sure, I have low expectations for the new lineup in that regard, too. I think it will be another choreographed mess.

The Rumours band was magic, but Fleetwood Mac has mostly felt like either a Vegas lounge act or a cover band for every tour since 1987, regardless of who was in the band. If they could have just gone out as a quintet, no backing musicians, backing vocalists, or prerecords, I might share that same sense of loss.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/SteveMacD/fm2014_zps5c60d7b9.jpg
Stephen Hopkins

https://www.facebook.com/Espy.Hopkins ; @espyhop)
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 06-23-2018, 10:24 PM
dreamsunwind dreamsunwind is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
And, it has been since 1982, at least as far as shows are concerned. For all the crap they get, the “Time” crew were able to do shows with just six people on stage and no backing tracks. To be sure, I have low expectations for the new lineup in that regard, too. I think it will be another choreographed mess.

The Rumours band was magic, but Fleetwood Mac has mostly felt like either a Vegas lounge act or a cover band for every tour since 1987, regardless of who was in the band. If they could have just gone out as a quintet, no backing musicians, backing vocalists, or prerecords, I might share that same sense of loss.
The Dance had backup musicians and it was absolutely magical. And the SYW tour was amazing, as were most of their tours. The Time crew that you're talking about was a lot younger. Everyone gets old and obviously when these people get older their voices are going to get shot and their playing skills aren't going to be the same as when they were in their 30s. But they still put on a great show because they had that wonderful chemistry. If they had actually played at these ages without any backup singers or musicians you probably would've been able to more obviously spot the little cracks in the performance. Stevie's singers are sometimes too loud but aside from that their backup musicians help, rather than harm. It wouldn't have been the same as when they were all in their 30s around Mirage. There's nothing wrong with needing a little help when you're 60 and 70 years old. I don't think it ever felt like a "lounge act" in recent years for performance related reasons at all. It was mostly just the fact that they were touring over and over again behind no new music.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 06-23-2018, 10:31 PM
sodascouts's Avatar
sodascouts sodascouts is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Memphis area
Posts: 4,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I don't think it ever felt like a "lounge act" in recent years for performance related reasons at all. It was mostly just the fact that they were touring over and over again behind no new music.
It never felt like a "lounge act" to me. To me, A Fleetwood Mac show felt like a thrilling, wonderful, unforgettable experience.
__________________
- Nancy


Last edited by sodascouts : 06-23-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 06-23-2018, 11:41 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 5,886
Default

To each their own. I never felt it was “magic” with the extra musicians, and I don’t think they needed them. They say it’s to fill out the sound, but it really leaves the shows void of personality, character, or raw energy, and age has nothing to do with it. Willie and Dylan still do it.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/SteveMacD/fm2014_zps5c60d7b9.jpg
Stephen Hopkins

https://www.facebook.com/Espy.Hopkins ; @espyhop)
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old 06-30-2018, 12:00 PM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 13,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
I guess you guys don't know what I mean. I meant the sound of the instruments mostly. Get like it used to be has the drum shuffle, the exact same guitar sound, and piano banging sound Don't Stop.
Christine plays her shuffle the same on all her shuffle songs: Get Like, Don't Stop, Stop Messing. Onstage, it gives those songs a similar atmosphere. Her piano shuffle is a replication of the style of Sonny Thompson, who cowrote with Freddie King. Chris was listening to King a lot in the old days.
__________________
The Filmic I: Movie Notes
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved