User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Juice Newton WTF you have lost your last shred of crediblity.
She had a connection to Fleetwood Mac and had just had three Top 10 hits in 1981.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-12-2021, 03:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I was thrilled when Stevie left and Bekka joined. I was also thrilled when Billy came back (which I found out about at the CSN show). I didn’t realize how close Billy was to the Bramletts at the time, but he and Bekka were just seamless together. Dave Mason was another story.
I saw Bekka 3-4 years ago in Nashville, and she and her band KICKED ASS. I talked to her when they were on break, and she was very sweet. I actually noticed her as I was walking into the club(BB Kings on 2nd ave, in the area that was just bombed on Christmas morning), because of course she was standing on the sidewalk, smoking. She's so beautiful(minus the smoking).
Old 01-12-2021, 07:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

I HATE Queen of Hearts more than almost any song in existence. I can't change the station fast enough when it comes on.

I can't BEGIN to imagine her in FM.

Bekka was a great replacement, though. Young, beautiful, and the best vocalist they ever had. That lineup deserved much more of a chance than they got.
Love's been a little bit hard on me was her best song (fantastic video btw)

Now we know how to get you into the asylum......get Stevie to remake Queen of Hearts

Old 01-12-2021, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The era of classic rockers making new music that charted was ending. There was a new generation coming to prominence, and Fleetwood Mac, especially a new lineup, and other artists were getting placed on the back burner. OOTC was a critically acclaimed masterpiece and it completely tanked. To suggest he could have saved them somehow ignores a much bigger reality.
I agree that Behind the Mask wouldn’t have sold as well as Tango whether Lindsey had recorded it with them or not. As Long As You Follow and Save Me sound like typical Christine McVie/Fleetwood Mac songs (I mean that in a good way) but music tastes were really changing by then, and radio had started to focus on new acts. I’m not talking about the quality of the material on BTM, which would have been very different with Lindsey, I just think radio was moving on, leaving a lot of the classic bands behind at that time.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:27 AM

So yea, Browns Eyes, Honey Hi, Over and Over.. Never Forget and Never Make me Cry get honorable mention. And seriously, adore Think About Me...
Wow, she really did nail the Tusk album!!!

And you'all can shut it!! Juice Newton was great!!!

... {starts whistling... playin with the queen of hearts....}

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 01-12-2021 at 09:31 AM..
Old 01-12-2021, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I agree that Behind the Mask wouldn’t have sold as well as Tango whether Lindsey had recorded it with them or not. As Long As You Follow and Save Me sound like typical Christine McVie/Fleetwood Mac songs (I mean that in a good way) but music tastes were really changing by then, and radio had started to focus on new acts. I’m not talking about the quality of the material on BTM, which would have been very different with Lindsey, I just think radio was moving on, leaving a lot of the classic bands behind at that time.
I agree in part and disagree in part. IMHO there is no real reason. By 1989 Stevie's pop success was coming to and end and so was the Mac. But look at bands like Aerosmith. They had their biggest success in 1989-1991. Music was definitely changing which I agree hurt new interest. Even Heart's last charting song was 1991 yet other bands could get success. I don't think the quality of music has anything to do with it unfortunately. Payola was very big in the 80s and who knows why some amazing music peaks no interest yet no talent garbage acts sell millions.
Today I dont think anyone cares because while its nice to have commercial music success, the money is with touring which is why groups wont break up. Just way too much money involved. Stevie's 24k Gold tour yielded more than all of her previous solo tours combined. The Mac's several last tours yielded more money than any #1 album could ever produce. My first concert with Stevie in 1982, the price was $12.75 about the price of the Wild Heart album. Today, tickets sell directly for hundreds and thousands of dollars. Grossing over 1 million per night is not even that big anymore. Some nights on the 24k Gold tour, Stevie grossed well over 1 million for one show. The Mac could even do even better.
Having said all that, its so wonderful that Lindsey and especially the Buck/Vie project did not care about concert gross. The focus was on the craft.
Bon Jovi resurrected Cher's music career. IMHO, if Stevie put Sometimes its a Bitch as the first single in 1988/89 it would have charted. He had that power in the late 80s. By 1991, not so much. Her crew doing this was about 2-3 years too late.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-12-2021 at 09:47 AM..
Old 01-12-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
You could be right. But, look at this... Maybe music was indeed changing; but if the Tango Tour is a smash and that momentum bleeds into Lindsey and Christine doing another album (Stevie was not present for most of BTM). Maybe we get OOTC with Christine and a few Stevie songs.

Maybe the arrangements are different and a little more fresh than a trolly train (Skies). It's possible that album and tour with the FAB 5 are another 10 million world wide sale. Fleetwood Mac was really hitting it internationally at this point.

I don't think we'd get the DANCE, however. And Stevie was re-validated by SS and that tour.

Note: As Long As You Follow is a beautiful song, the more I listen to it, the more I realize how genius it is.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
So yea, Browns Eyes, Honey Hi, Over and Over.. Never Forget and Never Make me Cry get honorable mention. And seriously, adore Think About Me...
Wow, she really did nail the Tusk album!!!

And you'all can shut it!! Juice Newton was great!!!

... {starts whistling... playin with the queen of hearts....}
Have I mentioned how good Christine’s TUSK songs really are? Awesomesauce, truly.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Love's been a little bit hard on me was her best song (fantastic video btw)

Now we know how to get you into the asylum......get Stevie to remake Queen of Hearts

She said hard on.

It would need to be a medley of Queen of Hearts/Storms/Oh Daddy. Lock me up, or shove an ice pick into my ears!
Old 01-12-2021, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She had a connection to Fleetwood Mac and had just had three Top 10 hits in 1981.
I heard the songs..I was in my late teens then .On the topic of absurd replacements for members of Fleetwood Mac's classic lineup I would have picked Tanya Tucker to swap out with Stevie then. She had the vibrato and could have held her own with Nick's cocaine and booze consumption.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I heard the songs..I was in my late teens then .On the topic of absurd replacements for members of Fleetwood Mac's classic lineup I would have picked Tanya Tucker to swap out with Stevie then. She had the vibrato and could have held her own with Nick's cocaine and booze consumption.
Tanya could do that! I have two friends that have played in her band. One of my friends had to quit because his wife told him, "it's either me or the cocaine...choose". And the only way he could quit was to get off touring with her, because everyone was doing it. And I'm not talking about a long time ago, either. About a decade ago.

AAANNNNDDDD, there's another name for Tanya Tucker that they have. Canya F*cker. Because I guess if you want to, you can. Everybody's doing it!
Old 01-12-2021, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Tanya could do that! I have two friends that have played in her band. One of my friends had to quit because his wife told him, "it's either me or the cocaine...choose". And the only way he could quit was to get off touring with her, because everyone was doing it. And I'm not talking about a long time ago, either. Maybe a decade ago.

AAANNNNDDDD, there's another name for Tanya Tucker that they have. Canya F*cker. Because I guess if you want to, you can. Everybody's doing it!
Right ! I had forgotten to mention that other factor that Tanya and Stevie had in common .They seldom missed the opportunity for a roll in the hay. They were both more like men in their conquests back then .

Old 01-12-2021, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You could be right. But, look at this... Maybe music was indeed changing; but if the Tango Tour is a smash and that momentum bleeds into Lindsey and Christine doing another album (Stevie was not present for most of BTM). Maybe we get OOTC with Christine and a few Stevie songs.

Maybe the arrangements are different and a little more fresh than a trolly train (Skies). It's possible that album and tour with the FAB 5 are another 10 million world wide sale. Fleetwood Mac was really hitting it internationally at this point.

I don't think we'd get the DANCE, however. And Stevie was re-validated by SS and that tour.

Note: As Long As You Follow is a beautiful song, the more I listen to it, the more I realize how genius it is.
That was my first clue that music changed. When I heard ALAYF, I instantly thought it would be a #1 song. Incredible video that never was played on MTV, it was only played on VH1. That was another sign. MTV was passing on the Mac. But I thought everyone was going to go crazy to hear the new members and how good they sounded.
Wrong Wrong Wrong. Song did not even crack the top 40 (and please dont mention it did well on adult contemporary LOL. Skies the limit also cracked the top 10 of AC. That means nothing IMHO)
Old 01-12-2021, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Im sure you’re right that Stevie wasn’t around much for the making of BTM, but I suspect she was around for it more than she was for Tango. She’s certainly on a lot more songs on BTM, which was so refreshing. The band really sounded like a band on BTM.

Glad you like ALAYF, I’ve championed that song for years. I wish she and Stevie would have sang it on their last tour.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I agree in part and disagree in part. IMHO there is no real reason. By 1989 Stevie's pop success was coming to and end and so was the Mac. But look at bands like Aerosmith. They had their biggest success in 1989-1991. Music was definitely changing which I agree hurt new interest. Even Heart's last charting song was 1991 yet other bands could get success. I don't think the quality of music has anything to do with it unfortunately.
Good points. I think Aerosmith made a successful comeback due in large part to Run DMC remaking and including the band on Walk This Way, and then by selling out when they sang Diane Warren songs and sang on soundtracks to movies like Armageddon, all things FM would never have done. But hey, it paid off for Aerosmith. I’m actually glad FM didn’t start recording songs by hit factories.