The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie Nicks, The Zombies and Todd Rundgren are my choices.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Why Stevie Nicks' Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nomination is historic

By Troy L. Smith, Cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio - Stevie Nicks could become the first woman to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame twice - once with her band and now, potentially, as a solo artist.

Nicks joins 14 other artists on this year's ballot. Her induction would be a huge step forward for an institution that has received (and certainly earned) criticism for its lack of female inductees.

Twenty-two men have been inducted into the Rock Hall twice. That list includes all four members of the Beatles, Neil Young, Eric Clapton (He's in their three times), Lou Reed and Rod Stewart.

Nicks is the first woman to even get the chance, having been inducted already with Fleetwood Mac in 1998. Cases have been made over the years for artists like Tina Turner, Diana Ross and Janis Joplin (with Big Brother and the Holding Company). But nothing has come of it.

Nicks' nomination shouldn't come as a surprise to fans. She has been in the lead of the museum's new "Voice Your Choice" in-person fan vote since it launched in April.

The Rock Hall induction process has been full of such "coincidences" for years now. Consider that every winner of the annual Fan Vote (which only gets you on a fan ballot that's added to the voting pool) has wound up earning induction that same year.

However, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation president Joel Peresman insists the fan votes and the nomination process aren't directly related.

"The new in-museum voting system does not factor into the nomination process as the members of the nominating committee aren't made aware of that," says Peresman. "And we rely on their independent thinking, which in this case happened to match up."

Whether you believe Peresman or not, Nicks' nomination remains historic. And fans can still have their say with the annual Fan Vote online. The museum will also use its "Voice Your Choice" system, which Nicks already dominated, to add to the Fan Vote.

The Rock Hall's Class of 2019 is expected to be announced in December. The honorees will be inducted next April during a ceremony held in New York City.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm..._roll_hal.html
Old 10-09-2018, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She's trending at #1 right now on Yahoo. Must be getting a lot of buzz.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketMan View Post
The conspiracy theorist in me questions the timing of Stevie's nomination. She's been eligible for over a decade now, yet this is her first time getting nominated. And everyone has no doubt read that the nomination process is a bit "suspect," shall we say? In the back of my mind, I can't help but think that maybe Stevie somehow pushed for this as one more "thumb to the eye" of LB. Surely I'm not the only one who thought of this when her name was revealed this morning...?
I'm sorry but this doesn't make any sense to me at all. You're saying that after orchestrating Lindsey Buckingham's firing from Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks then ran over to the R&RHOF and somehow successfully lobbied a nomination for herself with the sole motivation of showing up Buckingham.

Dunno if this comes off as attacking but... you do realize that she's a real-life human being right? She's got her fair list of flaws but I can't imagine an actual human going to such lengths while in their 70s for a very abstract way of "sticking it" to someone else. Maybe a cartoon villain in a children's show?

And on that subject how does her nomination have ANYTHING to do with "sticking a thumb to his eye"? Would the goal be "HAH, I've ousted you from this band and now I will enter the R&RHOF! For my.... solo work." Which Lindsey has nothing to do with. A better way to show him up would be to somehow have the current lineup of Fleetwood Mac be considered the best, which will never happen despite their successes. Is it because Lindsey feels he is deserving of that nomination? Has he ever expressed that?

I don't even know how he could expect that. I love bits from his solo work but you have to admit that he didn't exactly set the charts/radio/public consciousness on fire. Trouble is the only significant hit. Everything else has a VERY high barrier to entry. This is not to say it isn't all quality, but if his body of work hasn't been able to make a big impact on people (i.e. being recognized as some of the greatest guitar playing ever or becoming a symbol of the cultural period) than how can it be considered appropriate for the R&RHOF? Stevie, almost objectively, is an icon of rock. She has the label "Queen of Rock" attached to her, it honestly surprising she hasn't been chosen yet.

Sorry if this feels like I'm crapping over your theory, it just perplexed me on so many levels. An idea a little more grounded for the timing would be that Fleetwood Mac has been in the news more over the past couple years. Songs have been used in hit movies, several successful tours, drama making some headlines, etc. and THAT is why she was suddenly relevant for consideration.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)

Last edited by Netter75; 10-09-2018 at 02:35 PM..
Old 10-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The conspiracy theorist in me questions the timing of Stevie's nomination. She's been eligible for over a decade now, yet this is her first time getting nominated. And everyone has no doubt read that the nomination process is a bit "suspect," shall we say? In the back of my mind, I can't help but think that maybe Stevie somehow pushed for this as one more "thumb to the eye" of LB. Surely I'm not the only one who thought of this when her name was revealed this morning...?
This post takes the cake for absurdity. Stevie is way ahead in the voting and will almost certainly be inducted into the Hall of Fame next year. Much deserved.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Well-deserved!!

Old 10-09-2018, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Good luck to her..better Stevie than Pat Benatar.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not saying Stevie isn't deserving, but the timing is certainly coincidental!
The hall of fame is about marketing more than anything. It's a publicity tool. It wasn't coincidental that Fleetwood Mac was inducted in 1998—the big year of their reunion and No. 1 album on Billboard. The nominations provoke heated arguments about who's worthy, and thus generate free publicity. The voters and the nominating committee used to be slammed for being too old and out of touch, and the fans of Questlove and Tom Morello and Oasis went on the rampage. So the nominees the past few years are more ecumenical. But being inducted is still as much as ever a function of marketing—which is intended to make a stir over an artist in public. With her magazine covers and TV appearances and never-ending touring and cultish fans, Stevie should be inducted sooner or later.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-09-2018, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Congrats to Stevie! I hope she gets in on her first year being nominated. It is well deserved for all of her hard work and great artistry!
Old 10-09-2018, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder what “New” music will be released?
Old 10-09-2018, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I wonder what “New” music will be released?
Where did it say anything about new music.It doesn't seem to be a priority for her or Fleetwood Mac either. Touring is the moneymaker now.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Where did it say anything about new music.It doesn't seem to be a priority for her or Fleetwood Mac either. Touring is the moneymaker now.

There always seems to be a new release around the RARHOF announcement. The new Mac greatest hits doesn’t count. I’m sure there will be some kind of new Stevie Nicks release.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
There always seems to be a new release around the RARHOF announcement. The new Mac greatest hits doesn’t count. I’m sure there will be some kind of new Stevie Nicks release.
No the Mac compilation doesn't there is not a single new song on it.I won't hold my breath for anything new from Nicks either.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The hall of fame is about marketing more than anything. It's a publicity tool. It wasn't coincidental that Fleetwood Mac was inducted in 1998—the big year of their reunion and No. 1 album on Billboard. The nominations provoke heated arguments about who's worthy, and thus generate free publicity. The voters and the nominating committee used to be slammed for being too old and out of touch, and the fans of Questlove and Tom Morello and Oasis went on the rampage. So the nominees the past few years are more ecumenical. But being inducted is still as much as ever a function of marketing—which is intended to make a stir over an artist in public. With her magazine covers and TV appearances and never-ending touring and cultish fans, Stevie should be inducted sooner or later.
I always thought it was the craziest coincidence that FM happened get inducted the same year they had their epic reunion so your post makes a lot of sense.

I've never been shy about the fact that I honestly don't think solo Stevie really deserves to be inducted, and I've ALWAYS felt that way. Even when I was most obsessed with her and would argue with anyone who criticized her, I just don't think her solo music is really worthy of an induction. I think the reason people think she deserves a solo spot is just because of her whole image-- her entity as 'Stevie Nicks' the witchy pop rock girl.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OK, so it was just me who thought of that this morning? I'll remove my tinfoil hat, then!

I'm not saying Stevie isn't deserving, but the timing is certainly coincidental!
Not sure it's directed specifically at Lindsey but it may very well be an attempt to restore some luster to her image which has taken a hit recently. Her PR team is on top of this stuff. It's a great time to redirect everyone's attention.

That said, she's had a HUGE influence on so many women performers that she certainly meets the criteria of inclusion better than plenty of other inductees.