The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Am I the only one who is really excited to see the new Mac?

Am I the only Ledgie who is really excited to see the new line up? I bought a ticket to the Sacramento show. I will be travelling all the way from Sydney Australia and have a seat on Christine's side on the arena floor which cost $280 US or $370 AU. I think it will be worth every cent. I can't wait to hear Neil's renditions of Man of the World and Go Your Own Way. I saw Stevie and Chrissy in Sacramento and Sydney. I will also see the Mac in Sydney if they come to my home town but I didn't want to risk missing out and I love Sacramento and San Francisco.
Obviously like any true fan I would prefer Lindsey to Neil and Mike, but they had reached an impasse. It appears Lindsey did not want to tour without new music, or wanted to delay the tour indefinitely for some other reason. Would you fans honestly have preferred the only other alternative to the band continuing without Lindsey? That is, the band breaking up and never touring or recording again?
I honestly think Lindsey should not have been replaced. They should have tour as a foursome and not done any Lindsey songs that Stevie and Christine could not sing on their own. One of their back up guitarists surely could have stepped up to lead guitar quite capably.
All that said, Neil and Mike have great chops and this is a fantastic new line up I will gladly take a long haul flight to see.

Last edited by secret love; 05-05-2018 at 06:10 PM..
Old 05-05-2018, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Am I the only Ledgie who is really excited to see the new line up?
Maybe? Prolly, if I were the only other Ledgie? I am personally thinking I'd rather go watch grass grow or paint dry.

I mean there is SUCH good music out there, hundreds of artists I'd rather go see than this ridiculousness.

That's just MOO, though of course. Discuss.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasja View Post
Maybe? Prolly, if I were the only other Ledgie? I am personally thinking I'd rather go watch grass grow or paint dry.

I mean there is SUCH good music out there, hundreds of artists I'd rather go see than this ridiculousness.

That's just MOO, though of course. Discuss.
We're going to get a hear a bunch of Peter Green and Bob Welch era stuff we haven't heard in decades. That's reason enough to be excited in my book. And apart from Go Your Own Way and his Tusk and Say You Will stuff, there's not a lot of Lindsey songs that thrill me all that much.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Let's put it this way, to all the fans boycotting this tour because there is no Lindsey, did you boycott the Say You Will tour, or the Unleashed tour, or the Live 2013 tour, because there was no Christine? She's had more hits than Lindsey and was in the band longer prior to her departure.
What's the difference? Is it different because she retired not got sacked? Or is it different because she wasn't replaced?
If they didn't replace Lindsey and just toured as a foursome with a fill in guitarist and didn't sing Lindsey songs, would you be less angry?
Old 05-05-2018, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Let's put it this way, to all the fans boycotting this tour because there is no Lindsey, did you boycott the Say You Will tour, or the Unleashed tour, or the Live 2013 tour, because there was no Christine? She's had more hits than Lindsey and was in the band longer prior to her departure.
What's the difference? Is it different because she retired not got sacked? Or is it different because she wasn't replaced?
If they didn't replace Lindsey and just toured as a foursome with a fill in guitarist and didn't sing Lindsey songs, would you be less angry?
Because Christine made the choice not to participate. She had a CHOICE. In fact the band were begging her not to go. She wasn't stabbed in the back. Rewarding the money grubbers for their behavior wasn't an issue then. It is now.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Because Christine made the choice not to participate. She had a CHOICE. In fact the band were begging her not to go. She wasn't stabbed in the back. Rewarding the money grubbers for their behavior wasn't an issue then. It is now.
Don't be ridiculous. Lindsey had a choice too. If he chose to tour October this year he could have done so. If Lindsey was ready and willing, no way would he have been replaced. Lindsey was always the band's first choice and still always will be. If he changes his mind, you can bet your bottom dollar he will be back on the next tour and Mike and Neil will be given the boot.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Just so! superbly put. Case and point and there you have it.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Oy.

Quote:
Christine left. She wasn't fired. BIG difference. Same with LB in 1987. He left on his own.

I wasn't a fan of FM back in 87 so I don't know how I would have felt about the Billy/Rick additions.

Yes, that is a totally different situation. Bringing in Tug on keyboards was fine for SYW. If they had gotten someone to do guitar solos and sing LB's GYOW and World Turning, I'd be cool....if LB left ON HIS OWN.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post
Christine left. She wasn't fired. BIG difference. Same with LB in 1987. He left on his own.

I wasn't a fan of FM back in 87 so I don't know how I would have felt about the Billy/Rick additions.

Yes, that is a totally different situation. Bringing in Tug on keyboards was fine for SYW. If they had gotten someone to do guitar solos and sing LB's GYOW and World Turning, I'd be cool....if LB left ON HIS OWN.
i know re your OY. lather. rinse. repeat.

you'd think fans would actually know better to check first. but no.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-05-2018, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Good lort, you can only see things from your own myopic view.

Good luck with that...
Old 05-05-2018, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lol yes, there's a big difference between the Christine situation and this.
Christine wanted to leave, they (particularly Lindsey) BEGGED her not to, but she insisted she couldn't do it anymore and gave them her blessing. And while Stevie wanted to bring Sheryl Crow into the band, Lindsey was heavily against it and part of why was because he didn't want her to be a sort of 'replacement' for Christine. Someone posted on here the interview where he talked about it, he wanted Christine's work with the band to be respected so he didn't want Sheryl singing them.
This is just dirty business if you ask me. You don't throw away your guitarist and producer of 40 years, the one who contributed BY FAR the most effort to the band's music over a scheduling issue. What's extra frustrating about this is hearing them talk in interviews as if Lindsey was just any other guitarist, when they and everyone knows he was a lot more than that for the band. And it's very sad considering the fact that Stevie literally DID delay a recent tour by over a year because she was 'obsessed' with her solo project (in Mick's words). There are interviews you can read of Mick crying about it, saying his band is dead because Stevie won't tour. So even if Lindsey had made some request that they delay the tour by a year (which more than once reliable source has confirmed he did not), it's not fair that he gets sacked and replaced like yesterday's laundry for it whereas Stevie is allowed to just come back whenever she wants and the band just goes from there.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He was FIRED! Yes that's why. Even if he left I would have zero interest. Not the same magic.
The fact that they are playing ZERO LB solo on the FM channel shows you just how vindictive they are.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Let's put it this way, to all the fans boycotting this tour because there is no Lindsey, did you boycott the Say You Will tour, or the Unleashed tour, or the Live 2013 tour, because there was no Christine?
I’m not boycotting this tour. The new lineup is something I find to be compelling. I would probably skip it if they had gotten lame replacements, but they really outdid themselves. Either way, I gave up on Fleetwood Mac being anything other than an oldies act with their album being credited to LBCM, so the whole “legacy” thing people are hung up on now kind of rings hollow.

I saw the SYW tour three times (the bookend shows and one in between) and really enjoyed it, but I skipped the 2009 and 2013 tours. As much as I love Fleetwood Mac, I just got burned out on the SN-LB story line, Lindsey’s constant stream of psychobabble, Stevie’s grandiosity, and constantly asking if it’s live or is it Memorex. There was no balance and nothing especially compelling to make me want to go.

I reached my breaking point at a 2006 Lindsey solo show when he said something along the lines of he realized a dream of his wasn’t going to come true and that he needed to give himself time to mourn the loss of that dream. I was working as a social worker at a homeless shelter at the time and mourning the recent loss of my uncle, so the comment especially rubbed me the wrong way. It was a Saturday night and I wanted to see a rock show and forget about things for a while. It didn’t happen at the Lindsey show, so I went home and put on Guided by Voices, which turned out to be life changing.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-07-2018, 09:08 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
he realized a dream of his wasn’t going to come true
What is Lindsey saying here?

Is he saying that because he became a famous rock star as part of Fleetwood Mac, he would never realize the dream of becoming a famous rock star as part of Buckingham Nicks?

Is he referring to his relationship with Stevie Nicks? They were together for 6 years. It wasn't exactly an unrealized dream.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I’m not boycotting this tour. The new lineup is something I find to be compelling. I would probably skip it if they had gotten lame replacements, but they really outdid themselves. Either way, I gave up on Fleetwood Mac being anything other than an oldies act with their album being credited to LBCM, so the whole “legacy” thing people are hung up on now kind of rings hollow.

I saw the SYW tour three times (the bookend shows and one in between) and really enjoyed it, but I skipped the 2009 and 2013 tours. As much as I love Fleetwood Mac, I just got burned out on the SN-LB story line, Lindsey’s constant stream of psychobabble, Stevie’s grandiosity, and constantly asking if it’s live or is it Memorex. There was no balance and nothing especially compelling to make me want to go.

I reached my breaking point at a 2006 Lindsey solo show when he said something along the lines of he realized a dream of his wasn’t going to come true and that he needed to give himself time to mourn the loss of that dream. I was working as a social worker at a homeless shelter at the time and mourning the recent loss of my uncle, so the comment especially rubbed me the wrong way. It was a Saturday night and I wanted to see a rock show and forget about things for a while. It didn’t happen at the Lindsey show, so I went home and put on Guided by Voices, which turned out to be life changing.
Cool stories, thanks for sharing your insight. I will check out Guided by Voices this week.