User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-18-2003, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Lindsey's not so great shows?

I'm wondering, since I've not heard EVERY SINGLE bootleg/show out there, what show or what songs stand out in particular where Lindsey was just totally off vocally or couldn't get it together? Are there any? BWAH!! Even when he sounds kinda not good, I'm loving his voice and every scream, crack, garble is fun, IMO. I was listening to the Live 80 CD today and during NGBA, he kinda sighed, and that was just beautiful...some of the most simple things he does are spectacular.

I know that people are saying he needs to get vocal lessons, but I STRONGLY DISAGREE, because his guitar playing is unorthadox and unique...WHY can't his voice be also? Stevie is known for her unique voice, Lindsey should be too!! BTW, I think he sounds AMAZING this tour, he held those notes at the end of WTTCT for friggin EVER!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Angry Not so Great...LINDSEY ??????

Christy....We die-hards fans still Love and
Admire our Brilliant Lindsey no matter what!!!
When his voice is sorta' cracked /kinda' craggy
he wants it that way!!! Just Like His Hair style
It's HIS UNIQUE WAY! Lindsey Rules My Heart!
Old 07-18-2003, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love LB and do not mind the occasional cracking voice, but when he sings off key it just kills me because I know he can sing on key. Conversely, Stevie's voice is odd, but it pretty much always on key. In any event, I really like them both so who the hell cares I guess

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-18-2003, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There are two renditions of Go Your Own Way that are painful for me to listen to...

One is Memphis '82...I think he'd literally smoked too many joints: he's just not with it and he sounds like he couldn't care less. Even when he's saying "Memphis we'd like to thank you for coming here tonight...etc etc".....he sounds....weird.

The other is Irvine Meadows '97....this time it's not drugs...it sounds more like severe tiredness. His vocals go off key several times, the first solo sounds "raw" and slightly "sloppy", and the final solo starts out ok but by the end of it he's just sliding up and down the neck over and over again....like he's run out of ideas or something.

Strangely those are the only two "bad" performances that come to mind....the rest are either great, or in absolutely amazing. In most cases it's the latter!

Old 07-18-2003, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To my ears, he seemingly has trouble with the vowel sound Oooo or ewe. For example, when he sings "What's the Coming to" the "to" is sometimes flat. This is one of the harder sounds to make on key in a vocal. He has a good voice already, so he seemingly could correct this with a vocal lessons targeted at this "problem." But, who the hell am I to tell him what to do as he has thousands screaming for him to sing the way he is doing it now!!!!!!!!

Old 07-18-2003, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, I know what you mean...In "You Do or You Don't" from OOTC, he says the "I" words funny:

You either run or you hide
Now you slip now you slide

He says them kinda flat...like nyahhhhh

It bothers me just a bit...

"If you f*ck with my people, I'm gonna get real f*cking angry!" (Stevie-1988)

If I'd have written a song on "Rumours"? How about "You want a what?", or "We should have had a Pre-Nup". (John McVie)
Old 07-18-2003, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by WednesdaysChild
He says them kinda flat...like nyahhhhh
lol This thread is making me laugh for some reason. I guess the idea of a slovenly on-stage Lindsey or the slurry vocals he's layed down are pretty comedic Hopefully we'll get an insight into how he and Stevie approach strange vocal tracks in the 'Making Of' DVD (whoops I almost typed 'Making Out' DVD - now that WOULD be something!!), and hopefully I'll get NO insight into his past sloppy stage work when he comes down under!!
Old 07-19-2003, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Gosh, it's EXTREMELY difficult to PLAY LEAD guitar AND SING LEAD perfectly simultaneously! Each can throw the other off. How many other LEAD guitarists can also SING lead perfectly while playing?

And L. Buckingham is jumping all over the stage while he's doing this! ! ! ! !!

I'm surprised Buck still has a voice at all, after literally SCREAMING his songs on stage night after night.

He's a damn good singer.

The genius especially sings sonically super on NEVER GOIN' BACK AGAIN, BIG LOVE and his power-ballad, I'M SO AFRAID.

Last edited by 4Buck; 07-19-2003 at 12:14 AM..
Old 07-19-2003, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
One is Memphis '82...I think he'd literally smoked too many joints: he's just not with it and he sounds like he couldn't care less. Even when he's saying "Memphis we'd like to thank you for coming here tonight...etc etc".....he sounds....weird.
I just went to go listen to that after you mentioned it, and unfortunutly YOU'RE RIGHT. It's AWFUL. His singing is like ahhh i don't want to be here. The chourusus are slightly better because the girl's harmonies are so good, and Stevie really steals GYOW But the wierd thing is it's only GYOW the rest of the Memphis show he does a really great job. Maybe you're right maybe because it was the end of the show all the joints got to him.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 07-19-2003, 01:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by 4Buck

I'm surprised Buck still has a voice at all, after literally SCREAMING his songs on stage night after night.
Yes - this is what I can't figure out. I lose my voice towards the end of a big night of justa party or karaoke or something. But Lindsey just keeps going and going while screaming with no abandon. ?? Does he have an extra long-lasting voice or do I have an extra short-lasting voice??
Old 07-19-2003, 07:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
Yes - this is what I can't figure out. I lose my voice towards the end of a big night of justa party or karaoke or something. But Lindsey just keeps going and going while screaming with no abandon. ?? Does he have an extra long-lasting voice or do I have an extra short-lasting voice??
If used correctly and from the correct source (the diaphram), he sould be able to sing night after night without too many problems. My point is he does not sound as if he is doing that and that is not a great idea.

Also, many people can play an instrument and be on key. For example, Don Henley plays the drums and he rarely hits a bad note; same for Phil Collins. Chris played the piano and she most of her notes without flaw. Nancy Wilson of Heart. Bruce Springsteen (you cannot get more energetic playing or belting than the Boss! ). Sting. Tina Turner (OK she does not play an instrument but she certainly is on fire during her concerts)

Note and again, I love LB and think he is great. I just cringe when I hear him, or any singer of that caliber for that matter, bend a harmony or go off key in a solo, when I know he can do better - I've seen him do it.

To me, its almost like he is a puppy that gotten so excited he forgets how to walk

Vocal lessons and/or an ear piece should and/or could help that.

Which Ledgie wants to volunteer to be LB's vocal coach!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by strandinthewind; 07-19-2003 at 07:27 AM..
Old 07-19-2003, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Most clear-voiced singers don't scream as much as Buck does on stage.

D. Henley gives himself a verrrry simple drum accompaniment while he sings live. I don't hear any drum rolls while he's lead vocalist. Same for Phil Collins. And Don Henley always sounds rough to me; even on CDs, even on ballads and even going way, way back. B. Springsteen's songs are non-melodic and he always sounds rough, too. Nancy Wilson doesn't sing LEAD that I know of while she performs a strainuous guitar lick. O.K. Christine McVie is Chirstine Perfect, but she was very sedentary on stage, didn't jump around to throw her off -- and was classically trained.

S. Nick's songs are getting less and less melodic, as she has changed the tunes on all her classics to make them easier to perform on stage. Even going way, way back to the Mirage concert DVD, on "Gypsy" she S. Nicks sounds like she's singing this number almost totally on one note. It's not melodic at all. It doesn't even sound like "Gypsy." But it works better for her. And she and Christine hardly performed any songs on that Mirage tour.

Beatle John Lennon would literally wreck his voice while screaming "Twist and Shout." He could only perform this song twice in a row, otherwise his voice would go. Crank it up and you can hear him coughing at the end of the song. This was when he was in his early 20s, even.

M. Fleetwood only chose Buck for a lead guitarist, and what a fantastic guitarist he is! Buck's singer-songwriter-producer combination was just an added bonus.

I still love L. Buckingham's singing.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Most clear-voiced singers don't scream as much as Buck does on stage.
This is my point in that it is possible to scream from the diaphram al la Tina Turner and Bruce Springsteen. In other words they do it on key night after night and I would hardly call Tina and Bruce's songs non-melodic - but that is my opinion Interestingly, Celine Dion, love her or hate her, belts with the same intensity as if not more powerfully than most people scream and she is always note perfect. Why? Because she sings from her diaphram. (Note: I do not care one way or the other about La Dion - I am just commenting on her voice).

Quote:
D. Henley gives himself a verrrry simple drum accompaniment while he sings live. I don't hear any drum rolls while he's lead vocalist.
Although I have not seen them in a long time, when I saw the Eagles in the late 70's, Don had a complete kit. I have also seen video of Hotel California where he is sitting behind and playing what appears to be a full kit.

Quote:
Same for Phil Collins.
I have seen Phil Collins solo and with Genesis behind what appeared to be a full drum kit while singing lead.

Quote:
And Don Henley always sounds rough to me; even on CDs, even on ballads and even going way, way back. B. Springsteen's songs are non-melodic and he
Sounding rough is not the same as singing or screaming off key. I have never heard Don or Bruce off key (although with Bruce it is hard to tell ); same for Tina Turner. Another good example is Janis Joplin - a very rough voice, but always dead on in my opinion.

Quote:
Nancy Wilson doesn't sing LEAD that I know of while she performs a strainuous guitar lick.
She sang an still sings a beautiful lead on "These Dreams," which, incidentally, was written by them to give to Stevie to sing. Also, Nancy Wilson's harmony lines are very complex and could almost be leads. Also, I think most singers would agree it is harder to sing harmony, esp. in rock and roll, than it is to sing lead, esp. while you are playing the guitar. Having said that, I think singing harmony to Ann Wilson would be a little less hard because she is never ever off key and hits every note at the proper time.

Quote:
S. Nick's songs are getting less and less melodic, as she has changed the tunes on all her classics to make them easier to perform on stage. Even going way, way back to the Mirage concert DVD, on "Gypsy" she S. Nicks sounds like she's singing this number almost totally on one note. It's not melodic at all. It doesn't even sound like "Gypsy." But it works better for her. And she and Christine hardly performed any songs on that Mirage tour.
I am talking about LB, not Stevie. But, while Stevie has dropped the songs at least one octave and has slowed most of them a little so it is easier to sing, she still pretty much hits every note. Having said that, she has the strangest voice I have ever heard (and love). Sometimes even though it is on key, it just sounds like it is two or three voices at one time. Also, Stevie certainly can stray off key, although not nearly as often as befire she started voice therapy and lessons during The Dance tour.

Moreover, here is the Morage tour set list from the concert I saw. Stevie has five songs (not counting The Chain) and she sings harmony if not significant harmony on most of the rest. CM had six and also sang a bunch of harmony.

Second Hand News
The Chain
Don't Stop
Dreams
Oh Well
Rhiannon
Brown Eyes
Eyes of the World
Gypsy
Love in Store
Not That Funny
Never Going Back Again
Landslide
Tusk
Sara
Hold Me
You Make Loving Fun
I'm So Afraid
Go Your Own Way
Blue Letter
Sisters of the Moon
Songbird

Quote:
I still love L. Buckingham's singing.
I agree. I just wish he would take a few lessons and improve it. I am not in any way saying he is horrible or anything like that.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 07-19-2003 at 10:47 AM..
Old 07-19-2003, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

My Mirage DVD must be edited. I've only got:

The Chain
Gipsy*
Love in Store**
Not That Funny
You Make Loving Fun**
I'm So Afraid
Blue Letter
Rhiannon*
Tusk
Eyes of the World
Go Your Own Way
Sister of the Moon*
Song Bird**

Lindsey sings lead
*Stevie sings lead
** Chris sings lead

So here C. McVie and S. Nicks didn't have as many leads as Buck.

(Thought Christine's voice sounded raspy in this Mirage concert, btw)

As for D. Henley's drumming and P. Collins', I meant playing simply. They play just a couple of beats per measure, and no drum rolls or "flamboyant-fleetwood" stuff while they sing lead. Not enough movement to throw them off key, in other words.

I shouldn't have gotten on comparing men's voices to women, as women have a better overall range.

I still think L. Buckingham's melodies (they are beautiful!) cover a wide-range, unlike Springsteen, making them harder to sing, especially while Buck is running all over the stage like he does.

Nancy Wilson may be another story, but again for Tina Turner, Janis Joplin and Celine Dion, they shouldn't miss a note. Singing is their forte and they are not fabulous guitarists, ala Lindsey Buckingham.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, the version of the Mirage show that made it to HBO (and thus VHS and DVD) is edited down from the actual whole setlist. Quite a shame really that they didn't show the whole deal.

Just a note: Technically speaking, I believe Stevie was completely off stage for about five of the songs in that full Mirage setlist: Never Going Back Again, Oh Well, I'm So Afraid, Songbird, and Not That Funny.

Last edited by Les; 07-19-2003 at 11:52 AM..