Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2023, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Arrow Rare 1989 Atlantic Records interview

I never heard this interview before. I love old interviews that I never heard before. This is from April 1989 just as Rooms on Fire was released. Not a whole lot of new stuff but we do get more detail on many things. She goes into more detail why she hired Rupert Hine. She interviewed other producers but picked him based on what he did with Doing The Best That I Can. That song clearly means so much to her that she picked a producer over it. She is still bitter about rehab and says she could have been yelling and screaming for Doing The Best That I can. She says it could have been so much angrier but decided to take it down a notch. It was not until Mick's book the following year was the first claim her rehab was "successful" and avoided all the drama. I always thought it was really something also calling the song Escape From Berlin. That tells the true story that was reported in 1986 that she ran and ditched rehab and turned her vengeance on everyone that forced her to go.
She also gets into a bit more detail about Long Way To Go. She never mentions Joe's name but she was so furious with him and she was crying on her way home. The phrase "Have fun tell the world" is pretty much a F*** YOU to Joe but she says she cant say those words.
She also talks about Kenny G. She was so captivated with Songbird while on the road with the Mac that she insisted he do her next record. She gave him complete control and told him insert your work wherever you want. No Fleetwood Mac talk but she does tell a bit more of the story and video of Rooms On Fire. She's pretty clear here and this was right before the lights were going to go out. Drugs always increase on the road and she was practically a zombie when I saw her in September 1989 which was about 6 months after this interview.
I am in the minority on this board but I always loved OSOTM. Half the songs are very good/excellent which is worth it IMHO. The other half is meh or ok but its leaps and bounds better than RAL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6KH...ndex=1&t=1211s