Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Thoughts on Thoughts on a Grey Day

So whose idea was it to tape the batty old lady reading her poem, and who decided it would be a good idea to put it on "Bare Trees"? Has anyone ever heard a good reason for it, or should we guess who was behind it? My money's on Mick I can't imagine that Bob or John would have cared, and I doubt that Danny or Chris would have considered it a great idea.

So hands up who skips the old crone when they play the album... personally I usually play it I'd rather hear Mrs Scarrot on a 24-hour loop than listen to "When I See You Again" or something
Old 03-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Before the invent of CD's, it played when I played the LP. But once CDs were invented and I could program it out, VOILA! Sayonara, Mrs Scarrot.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:59 PM

I like it!! Leave Mrs Scarlett alone!!!
Old 03-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just say NO!

Yeah, it was Dick....err, I mean Mick's idea. He's just full of.............

good ideas, huh?
Old 03-18-2006, 06:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Mick did mention in his book that he loved it on the album, so I'm sure it was his idea. I don't hate it & whenever I listen to the album, I don't skip it. The best thing you can say about it is it isn't very long. I would have liked to have had one of Christine's terrific songs from the Madison Blues box set instead. I think "Gone Into The Sun" would have sounded fantastic as the album closer.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
Mick did mention in his book that he loved it on the album, so I'm sure it was his idea. I don't hate it & whenever I listen to the album, I don't skip it. The best thing you can say about it is it isn't very long. I would have liked to have had one of Christine's terrific songs from the Madison Blues box set instead. I think "Gone Into The Sun" would have sounded fantastic as the album closer.

As usual I agree w/ pretty much everything you wrote. I don't hate it either... I actually think the words are sort of nice. I'm a sap for poetry.

'...pregnant sweet... love is tender.' kinda pretty.
And the bickering between the couple at the end always makes me laugh.

That said, I'd have LOVED to have Gone Into the Sun close that album!!

-Lis
Old 03-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Ledgie

It was just as relevant as the little girl that did the recitation on Traffic's
"Hole in My shoe"...then...those were the days, kids. It was a special time.
Some even liked "Oh Well" part 2. Some....
Old 03-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by P90pup
It was just as relevant as the little girl that did the recitation on Traffic's
"Hole in My shoe"...then...those were the days, kids. It was a special time.
I flew on the back of a giant albatross...

See, it all comes full circle

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up I'd be one of those some.

Quote:
I freakin' LOVE Oh Well, Part 2. Feels like it should have been used in a great western.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I flew on the back of a giant albatross...

See, it all comes full circle
Yes!
We'll tell our grandchildren about what our kids ignore.
We lived in a sort of...bliss conscienceness. Great music
was coming at us like a machine gun. It was the best of times.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes!
We'll tell our grandchildren about what our kids ignore.
We lived in a sort of...bliss conscienceness. Great music
was coming at us like a machine gun. It was the best of times.
Tom, you are the coolest guy -- bar none -- on the ledge.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-19-2006, 02:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
So whose idea was it to tape the batty old lady reading her poem, and who decided it would be a good idea to put it on "Bare Trees"? Has anyone ever heard a good reason for it, or should we guess who was behind it? My money's on Mick I can't imagine that Bob or John would have cared, and I doubt that Danny or Chris would have considered it a great idea.

So hands up who skips the old crone when they play the album... personally I usually play it I'd rather hear Mrs Scarrot on a 24-hour loop than listen to "When I See You Again" or something

I wish it weren't on the record for a number of reasons. Most importantly, it's a lousy poem. (Daft might be the right word.) And "Dust" is such an excellent, perfect song, that it should rightfully close that record.

But I agree with you: I'd rather hear "Thoughts" fifty times over "When I See You Again."
Old 03-19-2006, 02:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Chris was frustratingly reserved on her first two Mac records. She could clearly write and sing any number of songs but, for whatever reason, chose to contribute only two to each. And even then, she seemed content with being a side player. This is inexplicable to me since she clearly possessed (and possesses) the best voice among the Kirwan-McVie-Welch trumvirate. Why the band didn't exploit her talent more is beyond me. I'm imagining SHE was her own worst enemy and chose to remain under the proverbial radar.

And then when it was just she and Bob fronting the band,, I don't know why she chose to contribute four songs for each record. Why not split the writing and singing chores for half the record? Herf voice at this point was fully evolved and she was capable of nailing a wide range of stlyes.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi
Chris was frustratingly reserved on her first two Mac records. She could clearly write and sing any number of songs but, for whatever reason, chose to contribute only two to each. And even then, she seemed content with being a side player. This is inexplicable to me since she clearly possessed (and possesses) the best voice among the Kirwan-McVie-Welch trumvirate. Why the band didn't exploit her talent more is beyond me. I'm imagining SHE was her own worst enemy and chose to remain under the proverbial radar.
I think your last sentence says it all. At that point, she was content to stay in the background. I don't think she was very sure of herself. She has said that Mick had to keep telling her that she could actually sing & write. I also don't think she was at all prolific. Still, I think she had a few great songs left over from the Christine Perfect band sessions that could have been included on those first two albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi
And then when it was just she and Bob fronting the band,, I don't know why she chose to contribute four songs for each record. Why not split the writing and singing chores for half the record? Herf voice at this point was fully evolved and she was capable of nailing a wide range of stlyes.
I agree. I have no idea if she even had written any other songs that didn't make those records. Plus, Bob had more or less taken over the band at this point. It wasn't until the White Album & Rumours that she wrote & sang the most songs on a Fleetwood Mac album. Coincidently(or not), those two albums turned out to be the most successful Fleetwood Mac albums ever.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
At that point, she was content to stay in the background. I don't think she was very sure of herself. She has said that Mick had to keep telling her that she could actually sing & write.

It wasn't until the White Album & Rumours that she wrote & sang the most songs on a Fleetwood Mac album. Coincidently(or not), those two albums turned out to be the most successful Fleetwood Mac albums ever.
I think at this stage of her career she didn't have too much confidence. But once she got more sure of her own abilities then we really saw what she can do.

Ms Nicks may be the most well known member of FM (post Peter Green era)and Lindsey is acknowledged as being a fine producer but you can't get away from the fact that Christine came up with the hits.

Gail