The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Kirwan albums coming out on CD!?!

I thought I'd never see the day - I heard from a friend who subscribes to a Japanese music release email newsletter, and on it were the three Danny Kirwan albums which are apparently being released on CD in Japan on Feb 22

Here's a link to Tower Records Japan - well done if you can read it, but you can see the album covers and the date of release.

http://beta1.search.tower.jp/test.ph...=danny+kirwan+

Big news for Danny fans as only Second Chapter was ever released on CD, way back in '93 and it sold out very quickly. Let's hope it comes to fruition with no hitches, and that Danny sees some proper income from these releases!
Old 02-09-2006, 11:08 AM
GateandGarden
This message has been deleted by GateandGarden.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
I thought I'd never see the day - I heard from a friend who subscribes to a Japanese music release email newsletter, and on it were the three Danny Kirwan albums which are apparently being released on CD in Japan on Feb 22

Here's a link to Tower Records Japan - well done if you can read it, but you can see the album covers and the date of release.

http://beta1.search.tower.jp/test.ph...=danny+kirwan+

Big news for Danny fans as only Second Chapter was ever released on CD, way back in '93 and it sold out very quickly. Let's hope it comes to fruition with no hitches, and that Danny sees some proper income from these releases!
According to Chris Frohring (the owner of the "Unofficial Danny Kirwan Website"), Danny won't see a penny of any sales of his albums. A few years ago, Chris was heading a campaign to get Danny's solo albums released...or, at least, an anthology of his solo material. After getting the thumbs up from a record company and even put on the "upcoming releases" list, the record company shifted gears & released Ram Jam City instead.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
According to Chris Frohring (the owner of the "Unofficial Danny Kirwan Website"), Danny won't see a penny of any sales of his albums. A few years ago, Chris was heading a campaign to get Danny's solo albums released...or, at least, an anthology of his solo material. After getting the thumbs up from a record company and even put on the "upcoming releases" list, the record company shifted gears & released Ram Jam City instead.
It would be a crime if Danny didn't see any money from this. Are you in touch with Chris Frohring - does he know about any Japanese releases? I also tried for ages to find out who owned the rights to the solo albums, but predictably no-one would tell me... wouldn't Clifford Davis own the rights?
Old 02-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It would be a crime if Danny didn't see any money from this. Are you in touch with Chris Frohring - does he know about any Japanese releases?
After I read your post, I emailed him...haven't gotten a response as of yet.

Quote:
I also tried for ages to find out who owned the rights to the solo albums, but predictably no-one would tell me... wouldn't Clifford Davis own the rights?
Maybe...don't know...I seem to recall, at least AT THE TIME, the record company that released Ram Jam City (Sanctuary?) owned the rights, but I'm not sure about now, though.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, I've always wanted to hear Midnight in San Juan (have Second Chapter on lp)and am interested in getting the cd. But it's a real crime if Danny won't see any proceeds from the sales. They won't make much $, but still this just seems like adding insult to injury. The poor guy has faced one hard knock after another in his career. Geez.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
After I read your post, I emailed him...haven't gotten a response as of yet.

Maybe...don't know...I seem to recall, at least AT THE TIME, the record company that released Ram Jam City (Sanctuary?) owned the rights, but I'm not sure about now, though.

Any news on this, Chili?
Old 02-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Still no reply.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Shame - it would be nice to hear if there are any developments on this
Old 02-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The CDs are now showing up on eBay - a promo box set of all 3 of Danny's solo CDs went for $172 this morning

I'd like to think they will be cheaper at some point - preferably released in the UK or the US too.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

I was going to buy them at Tower JP but I can't find the link to switch it to English. Anyone know how to do that on their site?

John
Old 02-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood
I was going to buy them at Tower JP but I can't find the link to switch it to English. Anyone know how to do that on their site?

John

If you type "Tower Records Japan" in Google, you get a link that says "translate this page". However, it doesn't translate the whole page and once you do a search within the Tower site, it still will come up in Japanese.

They're 2730 Yen apiece, which coverts to approximately $24 each.

Last edited by chiliD; 02-28-2006 at 02:23 PM..
Old 02-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They're 2730 Yen apiece, which coverts to approximately $24 each.
That's pretty pricey, wonder how much Danny gets off of this????
Old 02-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Hmm, I tried to order them anyways & it says they won't ship outside Japan. Anyone know of any way around this?

John
Old 02-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood
Hmm, I tried to order them anyways & it says they won't ship outside Japan. Anyone know of any way around this?

John

Fly to Tokyo?
Old 02-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk
That's pretty pricey, wonder how much Danny gets off of this????
Sweet F.A. probably...

You know, sorry for just hijacking the thread for a moment, David Gilmour insisted on performing Syd Barrett tracks live on the 1994 Pink Floyd tour (which was released on CD and video and will, eventually come out on DVD!) and he performed a couple of Barrett numbers in 2002 which were released on DVD. The reason I'm saying this is that, even though Syd is looked after in his day to day needs, this was Gilmour's way of making sure Syd got some royalites even though he can't approach Syd because of his illness... It's a great thing to do.

It would have been nice if Fleetwood Mac would have performed a Kirwan number on the SYW tour so that at least something got to Danny in terms of royalties....