Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Danny's best friend!

Yesterday I received a CD with some "Live at the BBC" tracks on it. I've not heard many of them before but I think they've been doing the rounds for a while - "Whole Lotta Love", "Mean Old World", Jeremy's "Intergalactic Musicians Walking On Velvet" etc. Also on there was an early version of "World In Harmony", and the radio announcer introduces it as an as-yet-untitled instrumental, and asks Danny if he's thought of any names for it yet. Danny says no, and they play it - good performance too.

Afterwards the announcer asks, "Did anything come up during the time you were playing it, Dan?"
"No, no."
"Umm... who's your best friend?"
"My best friend? My mum, I reckon."
"What's her name?"
"Phyllis."
Then the announcer declares to the crowd, "That was called 'Phyllis'..."

Luckily Danny decided to call it "World In Harmony" instead

It's Mother's Day over here today, and I thought that was a nice coincidence that I heard that for the first time today
Old 03-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi bretonbanquet - that version of "World In Harmony" with Danny's "Phyllis" reference is from the 9 April 1970 BBC radio show - actually the last "live" recording of the song that I'm aware of. While all the songs from this performance were included on the Show-Biz Blues 2-disc set that came out on Receiver a few years ago, all of the between-song interaction between the radio host and the band were cut out. Some bootlegs, notably They Play On, preserve the between-song talk from that show, so that's probably where that track from your disc originated. In fact, there is at least one bootleg that lists the title of that track as "Phyllis"!
Old 03-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000
Hi bretonbanquet - that version of "World In Harmony" with Danny's "Phyllis" reference is from the 9 April 1970 BBC radio show - actually the last "live" recording of the song that I'm aware of. While all the songs from this performance were included on the Show-Biz Blues 2-disc set that came out on Receiver a few years ago, all of the between-song interaction between the radio host and the band were cut out. Some bootlegs, notably They Play On, preserve the between-song talk from that show, so that's probably where that track from your disc originated. In fact, there is at least one bootleg that lists the title of that track as "Phyllis"!
You're right of course - I should have recognised it from Show-Biz Blues. My disc has "Tiger" and "Manalishi" from that concert as well, but none of the other songs. Now I realise it's not a particularly early performance of "World In Harmony", it seems odd that they still hadn't given it a name. They played it at Boston 2 months previously, and I'm assuming that was about the earliest airing.

We know it was recorded in the studio in April '70, and apparently (I don't actually have it) it was played on 27th April at another BBC session - the one from which "Sandy Mary" and "Only You" were taken for the Live At The BBC 2-disc set. I guess when Peter left, they never played it again.

I think it's a shame that we have to obtain these BBC tracks from bootlegs - there must be enough material there to do another Live At The BBC set.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have this in-between-talk about Phyllis on the bootleg "Greener Pastures". So that could also be the source???
Old 03-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk
I have this in-between-talk about Phyllis on the bootleg "Greener Pastures". So that could also be the source???
It might well be - I saw that disc on eBay only today. I also saw that one has the track listed as "Phyllis" like Sharksfan said Another track I got recently that's also on Greener Pastures is "Whole Lotta Love" which I always assumed was a Led Zeppelin song. It turns out it's a Willie Dixon song that Zep ripped off. Mac's version is fantastic Does anyone know when that performance was recorded?
Old 03-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk
Could be, Wouter - I'd forgotten it was on Greener Pastures too.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
"Whole Lotta Love" which I always assumed was a Led Zeppelin song. It turns out it's a Willie Dixon song that Zep ripped off
Ah! Not knowing much about boots, I wasn't sure how to enter this one in the discog. Now I understood the Dixon song in question was actually titled "You Need Love". Can someone confirm that this is the song FM do in this boot (under the WLL title)? Let me know so I correct the discog accordingly, thanks in advance.

John
Old 03-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
It might well be - I saw that disc on eBay only today. I also saw that one has the track listed as "Phyllis" like Sharksfan said Another track I got recently that's also on Greener Pastures is "Whole Lotta Love" which I always assumed was a Led Zeppelin song. It turns out it's a Willie Dixon song that Zep ripped off. Mac's version is fantastic Does anyone know when that performance was recorded?
There's another boot called Show-Biz Blues (not the 2-disc official release on Receiver) where it's called "Phyllis" too.

Mac's version of the song that Led Zep re-titled "Whole Lotta Love" is actually titled "You Need Love", and was recorded at the 27 August 1968 BBC session (a year before Zep's version). From what I've read, Muddy Waters wrote the music and Willie Dixon later added the lyrics. Dixon had to sue Zeppelin to regain the writing credit on the song, and he won in court. I'm actually not that crazy about Mac's version of the song, but it sure is a lot more restrained than the Led Zep version!
Old 03-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mac's version of the song that Led Zep re-titled "Whole Lotta Love" is actually titled "You Need Love", and was recorded at the 27 August 1968 BBC session (a year before Zep's version). From what I've read, Muddy Waters wrote the music and Willie Dixon later added the lyrics. Dixon had to sue Zeppelin to regain the writing credit on the song, and he won in court.
Dixon's publishers also sued LZ over "Bring It On Home", but much like the George Harrison/He's So Fine debacle the publisher didn't hand any of the money over to Dixon until his accountant audited their books.

Both the BIOH and WLL cases were settled out of court.

The Small Faces also ripped off YNL as "You Need Loving" on their Decca debut album in 1966 and credited to Marriot and Lane. Some reviewers are of the opinion that Plant was inspired by Marriot's vocal delivery.

I not aware that Dixon sued The Small Faces.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Complicated stuff!! So the Mac performance of 27 August 1968 was called "You Need Love" by (as far as we know) Wille Dixon and Muddy Waters, and not "Whole Lotta Love" which that song was renamed afterwards by those evil song-swiping Led Zep chaps. Thanks guys, for clearing that up

Now that I know what the song was really called, my list of radio sessions makes more sense - I had that song on my list all along. I had it down as 26 August, but it must be the same one. The list of songs I have for this date is:

26-8-68 BBC Radio 1 "Top Gear"
I Have To Laugh
Mind Of My Own
You're The One
Preachin' Blues
Need Your Love So Bad
Shake Your Money Maker
Stop Messin' Round
You Need Love
Talk With You
Bo Diddeley
Wine Whisky Women
Crutch And Cane
If You Be My Baby
Crazy For My Baby
Hawaiian Boogie

This was, I imagine, Danny's first recording with Fleetwood Mac. Can any of you guys put me straight on this list, and suggest how many of these songs are out there in bootleg land? I know the first 3 were on Show-Biz Blues and "Preachin' Blues" was on Live at the BBC. "You Need Love", "Talk With You" and "Bo Diddeley" are on my newly-acquired disc, but how about the others?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's more complicated than you can imagine, bretonbanquet! And the exact recording dates and the songs recorded are not entirely certain. It seems some songs were recorded on the 26th and some the following day. A lot of tracks to perform for BBC sessions in any case!

The track listed as "Hawaiian Boogie" (an Elmore James number) is actually Jeremy's "Evenin' Boogie" from Mr. Wonderful - the two are quite similar. And to make things even more confusing, the track listed as "Shake Your Moneymaker" actually refers to "Evenin' Boogie" as well! On first listen, it does almost sound as if it could be an instrumental version of "SYM", but it's clearly "Evenin' Boogie".

In short, lots of confusion about this session in particular and Mac's BBC sessions in general. Wish all the sessions would be released with some good liner notes to set the record straight!
Old 03-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's more complicated than you can imagine, bretonbanquet! And the exact recording dates and the songs recorded are not entirely certain. It seems some songs were recorded on the 26th and some the following day. A lot of tracks to perform for BBC sessions in any case!

The track listed as "Hawaiian Boogie" (an Elmore James number) is actually Jeremy's "Evenin' Boogie" from Mr. Wonderful - the two are quite similar. And to make things even more confusing, the track listed as "Shake Your Moneymaker" actually refers to "Evenin' Boogie" as well! On first listen, it does almost sound as if it could be an instrumental version of "SYM", but it's clearly "Evenin' Boogie".

In short, lots of confusion about this session in particular and Mac's BBC sessions in general. Wish all the sessions would be released with some good liner notes to set the record straight!
God, you're not wrong! Thanks for that - Jeremy was a bit prone to renaming songs that sound very similar, wasn't he? Just to keep us guessing. And yes, some new releases with full listings etc would be fantastic! But I fear it's about as likely as George Harrison rejoining the Beatles... we can dream though. Presumably these sessions were pressed on to vinyl at one point though - maybe they still exist.