Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Christine's four songs on Tango are so important to the vitality of that record. Lindsey's songs might out number hers, but hers weigh a lot there. Without them, the album would sound cold and paranoid.

Both Lindsey AND Christine overplay his contributions to her songs. He is an important producer, but her songs in demo form are usually fleshed out and well-crafted, before he even gets to them. And, in the case of Everywhere, I prefer the demo!
That Everywhere demo is fantastic. I love her Behind the Mask (title track) demo, too!! Christine can produce her own stuff, she's just an artist that knows what's up. Know's what's good. And, let's it come out the way it wants to. You have to understand art to get that much. A lot of people don't understand collaborations and what it takes to be an artist that's open to letting people work with you. It's why she had 4 hits by Rumours where Lindsey and Stevie each had 2. And in Stevie's case she had a number 1 hit. And listen to how much of a band effort Dreams is.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 10-03-2016 at 10:05 PM..
Old 10-03-2016, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Great topic!

sterile, technological compositions with Chris' vocals and a bunch of chirping, dinging sounds and overdone guitar.
Love it.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
No, both Mick and Christine have always said that Lindsey wanted more musicians. No one said he wanted more back up singers.

Lindsey wanted more guitarists and, in keeping with that, he ended up having a guitar army on his first solo tour.

In the October 10, 1987 issue of Billboard Mick said:

"He (Lindsey) was planning on having more people--maybe four guitarists and six percussionists"
http://bla.fleetwoodmac.net/index.ph...v2&id=859&c=18

That's what he has always said on this subject.

Michele
If "Overdub" can demand extra players then Stevie should be entitled to do the same...
If Stevie want's "additional guitars" by __________ (insert name of Stevie's choice) then the Band should allow it even if someone (LB) throws a tantrum over it...
Old 10-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Great topic! While I love the Christine and Lindsey collaborations, let's be honest - they're basically Lindsey, guest starring Christine. Take Stevie off of Tango In The Night, for instance, and what have you got? Lindsey songs, and Lindsey songs with Christine's contributions.

When she came back to the band and was all excited about working with Lindsey, a big to-do was made about how they had written songs together - and all I could think was *groan* - we're gonna get a bunch of Christine McVie songs with none of Chris' soul in them - sterile, technological compositions with Chris' vocals and a bunch of chirping, dinging sounds and overdone guitar.

Good songs though they may be, Christine's essence is completely swallowed up by Lindsey's when they work together.
The same with Stevie's songs...It's often said something is lost when LB gets his mitts on her songs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post

Great topic!

sterile, technological compositions with Chris' vocals and a bunch of chirping, dinging sounds and overdone guitar.
Love it.
X2

Last edited by BlueDenimLamp; 10-04-2016 at 01:15 PM..
Old 10-04-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
If "Overdub" can demand extra players then Stevie should be entitled to do the same...
If Stevie want's "additional guitars" by __________ (insert name of Stevie's choice) then the Band should allow it even if someone (LB) throws a tantrum over it...
Well, he probably gets upset because nasal gets her additional guitar players by using her spirit catcher. I mean, she did use it to bring back Christine (according to her). Now if she got Jeff Beck with that damn thing... I'd put up with chipmunks singing Landslide.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 10-04-2016 at 02:49 PM..
Old 10-04-2016, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Good songs though they may be, Christine's essence is completely swallowed up by Lindsey's when they work together.
Sometimes, Lindsey intrudes too much upon her songs, but that's usually because she lets him. Think About Me is a prime example, as is Isn't It Midnight. Both songs work really well, but I can see his footprints all over them. The demo of Think About Me features her original vocal--and it's superior to the finished result, where she's washed out by his loud voice. On Isn't It Midnight, he appears to have run her voice through some sort of pitch-raiser, "mucked about with it" as Christine would say (circa the ITM interviews). But, overall, his creative energy has often given her songs added strength. In demo, Hold Me is a very well-crafted tune that she has fully worked out. But the changes he made to it in the final arrangement turned a good tune into a wallop of a hit. His guitar work on Temporary One is very good--and it doesn't overwhelm or disguise the excellence of her vocal. One need only look at how bloated and washed out some of Christine's songs sound on Behind the Mask to see that her work with Greg Lindani (sp?) is equally generous--and not always to the best effect. On that record, only Save Me and the title track approach what the songs deserve. On the other hand, Patrick Leonard, the producer on Love Shines and Heart of Stone, knows exactly what to do with her songs. And Hollywood from Time is among the band's best--I think.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
Carlos was there for as long as he was because Stevie wanted it.

Michele