The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:28 PM
Ledgie

Default Ledge member - wetcamelfood - (John)

Today I learned that wetcamelfood had passed away. I'm sorry I'm late in knowing about this and if there was a previous thread I apologize for not renewing it. I learned he passed away on September 24, 2015. Yes, I know it's been months already. I never would have expected this. John was still young but he died unexpectedly. I don't know really what happened. I just know he is gone now and I can't believe it. I hadn't logged into this site since Oct of 2010 but I was in touch with John outside of here. When I first joined this site it was wetcamelfood who sent me an email to welcome me. I had known John ever since and sometimes it was years between times I would email him but John always welcomed my emails. I enjoyed his knowledge and insights. He responded to my emails even if it was about some band he probably wasn't particulary interested in. I used to write to him about some of the more obscure FM stuff and about FM members like Brunning, Mason, Weston, Welch, and Burnette. I would ask him about solo appearances these guys would have appeared on. He actually owned the stuff. He was definitely a goto guy to know about things like that.

John was a serious collector of FM related recordings. I'm sure there are many completist collectors on this site but John was the one I knew and he befriended me. I remember seeing some of the questions he would ask in the Q&A section of this site. I remember one in particular where John was asking Bob Brunning about his "London 22nd cub scout pack" album.

Here was a question John had posed to Bob Brunning about it:

"As a collector of your records, I, like may others are trying to get our hands on the infamous "London 22nd cub scout pack" album. As only 500 copies were pressed, it's highly unlikely we will get our hands on an original. I was wondering, since you have more connections to the people involved in that project than any of us, would it be possible for you to get a hold of the original tapes from the school archives and have a limited amount pressed on CD and maybe sold through The Penguin website or something? I realize there's legal issues to consider but many of us would like very much to get this and other rare recordings you have played on. Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated." (John, Peabody, Massachusetts, USA)

Bob Brunning's response:

Hi, John
There are no legal issues to be resolved, but does anybody really want to hear a hastily recorded album of campfire songs? I did it for a favour to a teacher colleague who wanted to raise funds for a cub pack. You don't want to hear it. --Bob Brunning

Believe me, John really did want this album even if Bob Brunning didn't think it was worthwhile. I would have asked John if he ever found a copy but I think he told me once he doubted he would ever find one. He was a true FM collector and completist.
There were lots of rare recordings and many I never asked John about but he always liked to talk about things like this. It was his passion.

The last I had corresponded with John was in June of 2014 and I recently sent him a message and I thought it was strange he never wrote back. It wasn't like him at all. At first I thought maybe he was away on a trip. I was looking for his posts and any activity only to see there hadn't been much as of late. I started looking further on the outside and to my dismay I learned he had passed away. I know John cared deeply about this site and he contributed album reviews and other information to the discography. I just wanted everyone to know of the valuable member who won't be posting or contributing any more.

Last edited by greenfire; 06-14-2016 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: removing link for privacy
Old 06-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thank you so much for the update. I often wonder what becomes of long term members when they stop posting. I hate to hear this was the case with John. I remember he was one of the first members I interacted with here on the Ledge when I finally joined up 15 years ago. He was definitely a wealth of knowledge. And a fun tidbit for some of our newer members: wetcamelfood is an anagram for Fleetwood Mac.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sorry to hear this. John was a knowledgeable and respected member of the Ledge/FM community. RIP, John.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I never met him, as I'm new here, but I'm saddened to hear that he's passed away, especially at a young age. Rest in peace, John.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sorry to read of this yet appreciate the update. John's knowledge and recall impressed and his work on the site discography is something I turn to repeatedly. RIP, with thanks for all you shared with us.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was sorry to hear about John. We were both the same age and used to trade stuff by mail (Idle Race, Peter Green, The Syn, The Ventures) back when sharing through the internet was a bit more arcane. I've lost a few such long-distance music friends.

I hope it's okay to post his obit here...

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bos...?pid=175958019
Old 06-10-2016, 11:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry to read this.

I'm hoping it isn't the John I used to trade with.
He sent me some amazing items. It was before
my Ledge days.

I wouldn't ask it be posted publicly, but if someone
who knows would pm me his name or just his initials
I'll know.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm so sorry to hear this about John. May he rest in peace.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:06 AM

This is very sad, even if I've not been here for long I still had the impression that Wetcamelfood was a kind, well-mannered and knowledgeable man in any of his comments, his passing away so young adds to the grief.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:54 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Oh wow. This is indeed a shock. One of the first high-quality boots I ever picked up was from John. He sent me the Mirage tour concert sealed on a CD. It had a black cover (the name of the disc I can't now recall) and featured imagery from Tusk on the cover, with Lindsey prominently looking to the left. This would've been around 1999-2000 when I was still "lurking" on The Ledge. God bless you John, and rest in peace dear friend.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Very sorry to hear about this.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I often wonder how and what old posters on The Ledge are doing now. This is very sad. He always came across to me as something of a legend (a Ledgend as it were). RIP old boy.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh my god.Sorry to hear this.He was too young.
RIP John.We lost a member of our family.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 06-11-2016, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Very sorry to drop by lurking and see this news. May John RIP and his family find comfort. He was such a wealth of knowledge. Always enjoyed his posts and Q&A questions. He will be missed.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

oh wow, very sad to see this. end of an era, almost. always loved to see him swooping in unexpectedly and explaining stuff that nobody knew about, or providing extra and much more authoritative knowledge on topics we'd discuss. respect, he was a class.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"