User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
he talks lovingly about her b/c he's her straight man?
Just a joke, elle.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
More that couldn't handle it and broke up -- or have continued without the members they hated -- or took very long breaks before they worked anything out. Mix in love relationships and I think the number decreases significantly.
I think plenty of people worked together while hating each other. But it's pretty clear in my mind that Stevie and Lindsey love each other. I don't see what they do to (say about) each other as anything more than relatives (who loved each other) would do to each other. Doesn't mean it doesn't annoy me as an FM watcher. It still does very much, but not at all because I think they don't all care about each other.

Michele
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just a joke, elle.
you had me looking up "straight" in the dictionary to figure out whether it had some meanings i was not aware of.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
I don't. I think she swithches back and forth every couple years between adoring him and hating him...and always as publicly as possible. I just suffered through the whole hour long video and she bashes him beginning to end.

She said at least she didn't HATE Dave (as opposed to Lindsey)
She said she didn't want to tell Lindsey what he was doing was stupid.
She said Dave (as opposed to Lindsey) understands women because he has two daughters (same thing she said ABOUT Lindsey just a few years ago).
She said she told Lindsey he could add a few chords here and there but nothing else! Are you kidding me?! Let's take Lindsey's parts out of Gold Dust Woman, Gypsy, Dreams, Landslide, etc. No riffs. No counter-melodies. No harmonies that he comes up with. Um, he's done more with her songs than add a few chords

Are you serious? All of this? Ok, I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt but now I understand how you feel. Honestly Stevie. Look at your life, look at your choices. Why does she have to throw shade on Lindsey? Why can't she talk about her business and mention Linds where need be but why continually drag him through the mud, over and over? That's wrong.

If the shoe were on the other foot, he wouldn't do it. Lindsey has always been classy in this way. He may feel anger and resentment of his own, but he doesn't need to publicly berate others for his own benefit. I really am disappoint. Thank you for the clarification...I didn't get to see the hour-long video and I don't have a desire to.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 10-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think plenty of people worked together while hating each other. But it's pretty clear in my mind that Stevie and Lindsey love each other. I don't see what they do to (say about) each other as anything more than relatives (who loved each other) would do to each other. Doesn't mean it doesn't annoy me as an FM watcher. It still does very much, but not at all because I think they don't all care about each other.
agree.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Are you serious? All of this? Ok, I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt but now I understand how you feel. Honestly Stevie. Look at your life, look at your choices. Why does she have to throw shade on Lindsey? Why can't she talk about her business and mention Linds where need be but why continually drag him through the mud, over and over? That's wrong.

If the shoe were on the other foot, he wouldn't do it. Lindsey has always been classy in this way. He may feel anger and resentment of his own, but he doesn't need to publicly berate others for his own benefit. I really am disappoint. Thank you for the clarification...I didn't get to see the hour-long video and I don't have a desire to.
I made myself watch it. Ya know...took one for the team

Quote:

Michele
Exactly. As always, the voice of reason
Old 10-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
you had me looking up "straight" in the dictionary to figure out whether it had some meanings i was not aware of.
Yes and there were some meanings of "straight" that I was aware of and I wondered if Dee intended to include those in her meaning as well.

Michele
Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Meh.... singling out statements like that make them come off a LOT worse than they did in the context of everything she said.

The first comment: She was talking about how it was easier for her to open up and be willing to collaborate with Dave writing-wise, because they didn't go into it with any baggage because they didn't have all of the history that she and Lindsey had, she didn't have any reasons to hate Dave.

The second comment: She was talking (again) about being in the duo, and loving someone and living with someone and having to work with someone, and how it was hard to keep it all separate. How if you loved someone, you didn't want to tell that person that what they were doing (musically) was stupid, so you just let it happen and then ended up with a product that you weren't crazy about.

The third comment, well, that's pretty much how it was said. But it was all tying back into why she could write with Dave - because he apparently can read her face since he's good with women.

And the last comment, that was just part of the whole "I never wrote WITH Lindsey, I just left him demos next to the coffee pot that said, "New song! You can produce it and add a chord here or there but don't change it!"

Not to say that any of those things were necessary to say - they weren't, of course. And obviously, they could be interpreted as being mean-spirited. However, they seem A LOT worse as stand-alone statements than they did in the context of the stories she was telling.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If the shoe were on the other foot, he wouldn't do it. Lindsey has always been classy in this way.
yes. he sounds much classier re not airing any private spats in his public appearances.

other than Christine burning her bridges, of course.

of course, Lindsey seems to have much more settled and satisfying current life, so less reasons to be bitter.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But it's pretty clear in my mind that Stevie and Lindsey love each other. I don't see what they do to (say about) each other as anything more than relatives (who loved each other) would do to each other. Doesn't mean it doesn't annoy me as an FM watcher. It still does very much, but not at all because I think they don't all care about each other.

Michele
Exactly.

Quote:
Hahaha! Sorry!

Quote:

I really didn't get that impression- in fact I thought she was trying to be careful in her wording for the most part. The only thing that really bothered me was when she said "your music is making my song suck" but she wasn't specifically talking about him -- but you knew she was because she used it during her whole "if you love somebody you don't want to tell them that what they are doing is stupid." bit. Anyway, while I understand what she is saying and how it seems like since SYW she has been careful about wanting to maintain the peace with Lindsey and thinks they should not get in the studio together in order to do that, I think she's also being hypocritical. What's different about now than then? I mean, she said all that bull about the music making her song suck, which sounded like she was really referring to the SYW stuff, but then she turned around at the end and basically told a fan in Q&A that if her songs made it for us to hear it then she was happy with the finished product. That's what I have always said about the SYW songs of hers everyone gripes about. And, I sort of think she got wind of that and has rode that wave out entirely too long. Because I think if she truly hated something she would have pulled it.

Other than that part I didn't get the overall vibe she was being mean. She pointed out (again, indirectly) that Lindsey was controlling in the studio (which he admits himself) and she said she wants to co-pilot. Basically, she gets bored with his tinkering and wants to 'get it done'. Because, even at the end of 2009 when they did the UK doc on FM, and they were asked about Tusk she was complaining about how long it took and how they thought Lindsey had lost his mind with all his sound experiments, but then she said the end result were all these awesome songs. And, when SWS came out she was bragging about how he had swallowed the melody pills. So, she's talking out of both sides of her mouth.

Later, she compared Nancy Wilson to Lindsey, saying she was a step below him as a guitarist and that was obviously high praise in context.

Last edited by CADreaming; 10-08-2012 at 10:17 PM..
Old 10-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I really didn't get that impression- in fact I thought she was trying to be careful in her wording for the most part. The only thing that really bothered me was when she said "your music is making my song suck" but she wasn't specifically talking about him -- but you knew she was because she used it during her whole "if you love somebody you don't want to tell them that what they are doing is stupid." bit. Anyway, while I understand what she is saying and how it seems like since SYW she has been careful about wanting to maintain the peace with Lindsey and thinks they should not get in the studio together in order to do that, I think she's also being hypocritical. What's different about now than then? I mean, she said all that bull about the music making her song suck, which sounded like she was really referring to the SYW stuff, but then she turned around at the end and basically told a fan in Q&A that if her songs made it for us to hear it then she was happy with the finished product. That's what I have always said about the SYW songs of hers everyone gripes about. And, I sort of think she got wind of that and has rode that wave out entirely too long. Because I think if she truly hated something she would have pulled it.

Other than that part I didn't get the overall vibe she was being mean. She pointed out (again, indirectly) that Lindsey was controlling in the studio (which he admits himself) and she said she wants to co-pilot. Basically, she gets bored with his tinkering and wants to 'get it done'. Because, even at the end of 2009 when they did the UK doc on FM, and they were asked about Tusk she was complaining about how long it took and how they thought Lindsey had lost his mind with all his sound experiments, but then she said the end result were all these awesome songs. And, when SWS came out she was bragging about how he had swallowed the melody pills. So, she's talking out of both sides of her mouth.
Later, she compared Nancy Wilson to Lindsey, saying she was a step below him as a guitarist and that was obviously high praise in context.
Thanks for reminding me How did I neglect to mention that??!!

She does talk out of both sides. You got that right! But again, what else is new? Anyways, I think the quote was he was taking lyrics pills though wasn't it? Which is another gripe of mine. In fact, I meant to ask him about that in a meet and greet. Her implying he's not much of a lyrics writer, at least until SWS, bothers me to no end. But of course, he's no better. He's often said he doesn't think much of his own lyrics eihter They're both wrong. He's a brilliant lyricist. Has been for a long time.

And that last comment is a major understatement. I'd say several steps.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
She said she told Lindsey he could add a few chords here and there but nothing else! Are you kidding me?! Let's take Lindsey's parts out of Gold Dust Woman, Gypsy, Dreams, Landslide, etc. No riffs. No counter-melodies. No harmonies that he comes up with. Um, he's done more with her songs than add a few chords
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
And the last comment, that was just part of the whole "I never wrote WITH Lindsey, I just left him demos next to the coffee pot that said, "New song! You can produce it and add a chord here or there but don't change it!"

i'm possibly reading way too much into it, but like Lindsfan, this jumped out at me as really annoying when i was listening to the interview. plus i think she repeated it couple of times (maybe during convo and then after movie q&a), as to drive home a point that LB contributed to her songs nothing more than just a chord here and there and producing them.

Landslide and Gypsy or Rhiannon are great examples - the guitar melodies and chords in these songs are so distinctive. did Stevie come up with any of those? start of Rhiannon? or Lindsey did change them, after all? LB never received any co-credit; that was just extra chord, arranging, or producing. he contributed nothing more. unlike Dave who has co-writing / music credit for most of the IYD songs.

that said, i do think Dave wrote much more music for her IYD songs than Lindsey did for her older songs. it seems she had no melody to start with for most of those IYD songs co-credited to Dave.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i'm possibly reading way too much into it, but like Lindsfan, this jumped out at me as really annoying when i was listening to the interview. plus i think she repeated it couple of times (maybe during convo and then after movie q&a), as to drive home a point that LB contributed to her songs nothing more than just a chord here and there and producing them.

Landslide and Gypsy or Rhiannon are great examples - the guitar melodies and chords in these songs are so distinctive. did Stevie come up with any of those? start of Rhiannon? or Lindsey did change them, after all? LB never received any co-credit; that was just extra chord, arranging, or producing. he contributed nothing more. unlike Dave who has co-writing / music credit for most of the IYD songs.

that said, i do think Dave wrote much more music for her IYD songs than Lindsey did for her older songs. it seems she had no melody to start with for most of those IYD songs co-credited to Dave.
Well, with the songs that Lindsey works on, Stevie already has the chord progression and melody and the basic direction. The song is "written." He just (and I say "just" very lightly ) fleshes it out and kind of takes it to the places that her demos are heading but that she can't reach on her own. Stevie has, again, extensively praised Lindsey for all of the wonderful things he has done with her songs. However, I think in her mind, those songs are WRITTEN when she gives them to him. I think the 'adding a chord here and there' was meant in regards to the actual songwriting process, in terms of the structure itself (say.. adding a transitional chord in a place that there initially wasn't one). I do not think that statement was meant at all in relation to Lindsey constructing his guitar part, filling out the sound, or in his "production" work as I believe she referred to it.

With Dave, her melody is dependent on whatever chords he was playing. He essentially came up with the chord progressions (with reinforcement from Stevie) which guided her melodies. And THEN he did all of the stuff that Lindsey usually does, I'm assuming. So it's a different thing, obviously.

And then of course, you can't discount the other musicians - John, Mick, and Chris in FM and Stevie's own solo band. I believe they all pretty much come/came up with their own parts after listening to the demos and being told what the feel is and everything.

(On a somewhat random note, I've always wondered if it was Stevie who came up with the Rhiannon riff [a la her piano versions of it] or Lindsey when working out the song, and also wondered whether or not Stevie wrote the basics of the Landslide guitar part (she did say that Lindsey taught her how to pick the guitar that she wrote it on). Someone should ask her at one of these things )

Last edited by WildHearted; 10-08-2012 at 10:50 PM..
Old 10-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
(On a somewhat random note, I've always wondered if it was Stevie who came up with the Rhiannon riff [a la her piano versions of it] or Lindsey when working out the song, and also wondered whether or not Stevie wrote the basics of the Landslide guitar part (she did say that Lindsey taught her how to pick the guitar that she wrote it on). Someone should ask her at one of these things )
i think i read somewhere not long ago LB came up with Rhiannon riff / progression, i believe it was said by someone from FM, or maybe it was Gary Hodges? (but i might be wrong).

no idea about Landslide. maybe watching that video on youtube where Lindsey teaches how to play Lanslide, Big Love and something else would clarify it. he starts by saying "Landslide is a song that Stevie wrote" but don't remember whether he talks about what exactly he added to it, it's very possible he does.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yes and I recall Christine saying how Dreams was kind of monotonous until Lindsey got ahold of it. But Stevie knows this too. One time, after he'd left the group, she said he made her songs sound great and she didn't know how to thank him, except maybe give him 10% of her royalties. Of course, she finished that thought by saying that, conversely, the songs of hers that are crummy sound that way because he was being mean to her and didn't want to help her. So, she giveth and she taketh away.

Michele