Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Recent Out of the Cradle Review

Released: June 16, 1992
Genre: Rock, Singer-Songwriter, Baroque Pop
Label: Reprise
Number Of Tracks: 16
"Out Of The Cradle" is the third solo album by American singer/songwriter Lindsey Buckingham. It was Buckingham's first album after his much-publicised departure from Fleetwood Mac in 1987.
*Sound:* 10
*Lyrics:* 8
*Impression:* 9
*Overall rating: *9.3*
*Reviewer rating: *9*
*Users rating: *9.5*
*Votes: *2*
*1 review *user comments vote for this cd:*
overall: 9
Out Of The Cradle Recently reviewed by: Reed I. Maxwell, on june 27, 2012
1 of 1 people found this review helpful
Sound: Buckingham released a third studio album in 1993, a gem of a CD titled "Out Of The Cradle". The disc has since garnered gold status in sales - not a small achievement for an album some folks might consider too artsy or left-field for the mainstream. Indeed, if Bach could dabble in West Coast Cool Jazz (e.g. Jim Hall), and then produce a pop record, it would probably sound something like "Out Of The Cradle". Fans of the classic Fleetwood Mac sound (e.g. "Go Your Own Way", "Don't Stop", etc.) will realize within the first five seconds of play that this is NOT a hash of Mac-ish material distributed as a solo record. Lindsey's work on the 80's Mac album "Tango In The Night" (e.g. "Caroline", and the rare B-Side "You & I, Pt. I") flirts with the sound of this disc, but the similarities are surface at best. Readers who know Lindsey Buckingham's contributions to Fleetwood Mac will know that, as a musician, the guy has always been all about the guitar. This should please any guitar aficionado out there; however, "Out Of The Cradle" is not an exercise in bang-pow technical wizardry and speed (e.g. Joe Satriani) for the sake of technical wizardry and speed. As a guitarist, Buckingham emphasizes instrumental lyricism, melody, and mood. A plethora of effects is invoked, but not for its own sake; in Lindsey's world, effects are means rather than ends.

Lyrics and Singing: In one interview, Lindsey described his status as lyricist as a secondary one; more of an obligatory appendium to his musicianship. Buckingham's lyrics are not the self-revelatory sort. He favors broad, universal themes (e.g. Loneliness: "All My Sorrows", "Soul Drifter", "Say We'll Meet Again"; renewal: "Don't Look Down", "Countdown") in lieu of personal confessions, stories, or polemics (although "Wrong", an abstract dig at the music industry, comes close, here). Listeners who thrive on the latter three styles will find little in "Out Of The Cradle" to demand their attention. This disc belongs to listeners who appreciate a lyric's propensity to evoke atmosphere and establish mood; they will relish its unapologetic subjectivity. As for Buckingham's singing? Buckingham is considered a rocker, but his earnest tenor resembles neither the tortured baritone of Kurt and his modern proteges (e.g. Staind, Seether, etc.), nor the baritone bombast of acts like Default, Trapt, Nickelback, Shinedown, and countless others (circa 2006) that dominate the modern rock scene. Buckingham sings with a lyrical neurosis; some may find it exhilarating, some may find it unsettling. "Doing What I Can" may be the first pop song snapshot of mania ("Laughing in my sleep, dancing on the stone, waiting here for something, something I don't know"). On the dark side of the moon waits "Street Of Dreams" and "All My Sorrows".

Impression: If "baroque pop" were a genre, "Out Of The Cradle" would be one of its cornerstones. There is no filler on the album. Each song is hand-crafted, so to speak, with an original identity; picking favorites would be an exercise in subjectivity rather than objectivity. Guitar freaks will love the instrumental introductions. It is one of the most genuinely idiosyncratic pop/rock records on the market; it is blissfully lacking of pretention and market-minded calculation. Without a doubt, I would repurchase this record if it were stolen/lost (although the damn thing is curiously difficult to find - I ordered mine online). A few easter eggs for those of you who bought the Mac album "Say You Will": the intro of "Wrong" sounds much like the intro of "Murrow", "This Is The Time" sounds structurally similar to "Come" and the bridge in "You Do Or You Don't" ("Somebody's got to see this thru...") is recycled in "Bleed To Love Her". Now, if Lindsey would just give his fans a "Gift Of Screws..."
Old 07-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

LOVE this album, as does it seems most everyone else. Not sure why LB seems so dismissive of it.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Not sure why LB seems so dismissive of it.
I wonder if the tour soured him on it a little. Certainly, the album itself couldn't be the equivalent of Mirage in his eyes.

Michele
Old 07-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I wonder if the tour soured him on it a little. Certainly, the album itself couldn't be the equivalent of Mirage in his eyes.

Michele

What happened on the tour?
Old 07-09-2012, 12:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi! Well, I have things to say. You know I'm a big fan of this album after just a few times I listened it. It's a good critic, a good review, no questions. Thanks lbfan for share!

Quote:
Sound: [...] Fans of the classic Fleetwood Mac sound (e.g. "Go Your Own Way", "Don't Stop", etc.) will realize within the first five seconds of play that this is NOT a hash of Mac-ish material distributed as a solo record. Lindsey's work on the 80's Mac album "Tango In The Night" (e.g. "Caroline", and the rare B-Side "You & I, Pt. I") flirts with the sound of this disc, but the similarities are surface at best. Readers who know Lindsey Buckingham's contributions to Fleetwood Mac will know that, as a musician, the guy has always been all about the guitar.
It's good to know it. I always thought that maybe the songs of OOTC were new at that time, but with influences of the "TITN era".
And yes, obviously it's all about guitars...

Quote:
Lyrics and Singing: In one interview, Lindsey described his status as lyricist as a secondary one; more of an obligatory appendium to his musicianship. Buckingham's lyrics are not the self-revelatory sort. He favors broad, universal themes (e.g. Loneliness: "All My Sorrows", "Soul Drifter", "Say We'll Meet Again"; renewal: "Don't Look Down", "Countdown") in lieu of personal confessions, stories, or polemics (although "Wrong", an abstract dig at the music industry, comes close, here). [...]
As for Buckingham's singing? [...] Buckingham sings with a lyrical neurosis; some may find it exhilarating, some may find it unsettling. "Doing What I Can" may be the first pop song snapshot of mania ("Laughing in my sleep, dancing on the stone, waiting here for something, something I don't know"). On the dark side of the moon waits "Street Of Dreams" and "All My Sorrows".
Lyrics are good, I love them. As I said before, in the example of Wrong, I'm really not very interested to search for the meaning of the lyrics, if the rythm is powerful and rocker. Even the video could give it another sense!
Just an hour ago I saw the video from Centerstage 1992, and Lindsey talks about All My Sorrows, and the Kingston Trio. Obviously lyrics are not from him. I only know that Street Of Dreams has very sad lyrics, and that Don't Look Down could be an intro, talking about his past. Don't Look Down, his departure from Fleetwood Mac, and the title of the album itself.
I don't understand what he says about Street Of Dreams and All My Sorrows in the dark side of the Moon...

Quote:
Impression: [...] A few easter eggs for those of you who bought the Mac album "Say You Will": the intro of "Wrong" sounds much like the intro of "Murrow", "This Is The Time" sounds structurally similar to "Come" and the bridge in "You Do Or You Don't" ("Somebody's got to see this thru...") is recycled in "Bleed To Love Her". Now, if Lindsey would just give his fans a "Gift Of Screws..."
Hey! I think this too!
This Is The Time and Come have a very similar structure, and the intro of Wrong with Murrow's intro. Or maybe not...

Well, I can say that maybe if this review were from 1992, maybe sales and critics for Out Of The Cradle could be different...so different.
Even today, we can say it's the best Lindsey's solo album, but I still can't understand why, the album were less successful than Law & Order, or even Go Insane...
Regards and thank you!
Old 07-09-2012, 02:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is the Time is actually the exact same structure as TITN. It's even got the bridge before the solo.

Nice review but I don't get the last line: Now, if Lindsey would just give his fans a "Gift Of Screws..."

If the review was written in June of this year then don't we already have GOS? Or am I missing something?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What happened on the tour?
Costly tour in which he encountered several unreceptive audiences. Not a failure, but as a first time out it appears to have disillusioned him. Also, the few shows where he opened for Tina Turner didn't help matters.

Luckily, he has carved out his own little solo niche today. He's built a profile that was just being formed back then. People who go to see him are there to see him now. Whereas back then he said he didn't know why some of the people were even there, since their behavior indicated they had little interest in his music. He joked his accountant told him that he wouldn't be doing that thing with the guitar army again either! So, he learned how to refine things, in the next, almost, 15 years. I think The Dance dvd helped give people an idea of what they would hear from Lindsey, by himself, and then the series of solo tours he has done in the last few years have sealed the deal. So, he hasn't had an experience like that first tour again.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 07-09-2012 at 02:11 PM..
Old 07-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I never really understood the need for all those guitarists on his early forays.... many songs had an awful lotta people standing around swaying and tapping on the tops of their guitars while the others played.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I never really understood the need for all those guitarists on his early forays....
i think he wanted to try to bring to life layers of guitars he normally does on his albums. guess he learned since that different live arrangements with just one guitar work ever better.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I really like the band with lot of guitar players, and lot of musicians. Lindsey maybe was passing through a time where he wanted to play with others, to get a sound similar to his album, by the number of instruments.
It's not bad. This Is The Time sounded good at the end, with four playing solos and the bass and another guitar signing the rythm...
After the tour, and a lot of years, Lindsey decided to play only with three musicians, but I don't think it could be because the big band didn't work in the past. For example, Roger Hodgson from Supertramp played with a big band on his return in 1997, then in 1999 with a bassist and a drummer. Today he plays with a little band, or solo. He alternates, innovates things between shows, as Lindsey does.
Regards!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i think he wanted to try to bring to life layers of guitars he normally does on his albums. guess he learned since that different live arrangements with just one guitar work ever better.
but that's my point.... sooo many of those extra musicians weren't ever playing anything! I mean, you could easily find guitarists who could play multiple parts across multiple songs rather than having one person who is dedicated to this part on this song and then does nothing else for three songs....
Old 07-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

Out of The Cradle is my favorite Lindsey album. It's flawless from start to finish in my opinion. Two thumbs up!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I never really understood the need for all those guitarists on his early forays.... many songs had an awful lotta people standing around swaying and tapping on the tops of their guitars while the others played.
I guess it's like his musical experimentation. He just likes to have guitars doing the work of other instruments if he can. You think it's a keyboard or violin or even a horn and it's really a guitar.

Michele
Old 07-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I guess it's like his musical experimentation. He just likes to have guitars doing the work of other instruments if he can. You think it's a keyboard or violin or even a horn and it's really a guitar.

Michele
I know that intellectually, but emotionally, it just doesn't do it for me. I recall a review of Law and Order I believe, where the reviewer talked about Lindsey removing as much of other instruments as possible from the songs and not being a total fan and making some crack about how yeah you can do a solo album and not have to deal with a cranky rhythm section but remember, they don't call it Fleetwood Mac for nuthin'. Kinda made me chuckle.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, Christine said he had been planning to have more guitarists if they toured on the TITN album. I don't know if he planned to have two of them like Billy and Rick or if he planned to have even more.

With a host of guitars, I wonder if they would have attempted to do Hold Me and give it the layered sound they felt was missing from the 1982 live versions.

Michele