User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD View Post
Rumors is obviously amazing, but the live versions they do of all of the songs are better than the studio versions I think. Live versions of The Chain and Never Going Back Again (how he plays it now) are levels ahead of th studio version I think.
Each to their own. I think Never Going Back Again was really great when it was played live back in the day. The modern, slowed down version is crap.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Each to their own. I think Never Going Back Again was really great when it was played live back in the day. The modern, slowed down version is crap.
Actually it's beautiful you are wrong
Old 10-29-2016, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD View Post
Actually it's beautiful you are wrong
Like I say, each to their own. Actually, when he first played it like that it was a bit of a 'wow' moment. Over the years its just become more and more of a snoozefest to the point I find it cringe-worthy. The way it was played on the Rumours tour was great- it was probably quicker than on the record. I suppose even if you didn't like the song it was over in no time. Now it's dragged out and feels like nails down a blackboard. Each to their own!

PS: it also benefitted from John and Mick's accompaniment

Last edited by FuzzyPlum; 10-29-2016 at 01:36 PM..
Old 10-29-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I love how they played it back then. I don't like the way he played it in 2014.. uhhhhh ... just play the song..
Old 10-29-2016, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Never been a fan of the 1977 version of Silver Springs. The Dance version is incredible. But Stevie's vocals on the original are a bit of a mess, IMO. She sounds like one of the chipmunks.

I am also in the minority when it comes to the alternative take of Oh Daddy. I think the band made the right choice in NOT including the version where Stevie's backing vocals are more prominent. The album version wins the day for me. There are enough Buckingham-Nicks harmonies on it in choice places, without overwhelming (or distracting from) Christine's aching vocal.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, if I go back in time and think about when the album first was out... I was a huuuuge Stevie fan and really her songs were the standouts for me

1. Dreams
2. Silver Springs
3. Gold Dust Woman
4. Oh Daddy
5. Go Your Own Way
6. The Chain
7. You Make Loving Fun
8. Second Hand News
9. Never Going Back Again
10.Don't Stop
11. I Don't Wanna Know
12. Songbird

Now.....Dreams and Silver Springs are still my favorites, it just depends which day which comes first. Usually Dreams, but only the actual album version. Hate most of the live versions for some time now. She needs to not do Silver Springs live again; her voice is too shot and it's waaaay too nasally and droney.
Go Your Own Way live still holds its own. Have gotten very, very, very sick of GDW in all forms, sadly, but I think the album version is amazing.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Never been a fan of the 1977 version of Silver Springs. The Dance version is incredible. But Stevie's vocals on the original are a bit of a mess, IMO. She sounds like one of the chipmunks.
Couldn't disagree more with this. The (actually '76) version is the best vocal she's ever laid down on the best song she ever wrote. I don't hear chipmunks at all on the song. Her '76 voice is just stunning. Although I do agree, the Dance version was also well done but the don't say that she's pretty sounds a bit strained, but otherwise, amazing, but what would we expect on such a wonderful song.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Gold Dust Woman
2. Oh Daddy
3. You Make. Loving Fun
4. The Chain
5. Dreams
6. Go Your Own Way
7. Songbird
8. Second Hand News
9. don't stop
10. Never going back again
11. I don't want to know

He Will Burn You Down
Old 10-30-2016, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Couldn't disagree more with this. The (actually '76) version is the best vocal she's ever laid down on the best song she ever wrote. I don't hear chipmunks at all on the song. Her '76 voice is just stunning. Although I do agree, the Dance version was also well done but the don't say that she's pretty sounds a bit strained, but otherwise, amazing, but what would we expect on such a wonderful song.

Agree the 70's version is so much better than the Dance version. I will say I love the 1997 "live" version of SS but nothing beats the original.

Last edited by BLY; 10-30-2016 at 03:25 PM..
Old 10-30-2016, 03:56 PM

I don't like the 1977 version as much as the Dance. Her voice is a bit strained on the Dance version. But she taps into the love that she once had for LB. And it really is impressive the feelings that come across the stage. And Christine's additions on the Dance are incredible, confirming why she's so good in the B/N chemistry.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I don't like the 1977 version as much as the Dance. Her voice is a bit strained on the Dance version. But she taps into the love that she once had for LB. And it really is impressive the feelings that come across the stage. And Christine's additions on the Dance are incredible, confirming why she's so good in the B/N chemistry.
Yeah, the three-part harmonies are amazing on The Dance version of that song. The piano is awesome, too. Nothing like a live grand in an open space. Musically and vocally, I just don't dig the original studio version. I did like when Ken Caillat isolated the guitar parts on the Rumours documentary. Those were stunning. But for the rest, I prefer The Dance, where I think Stevie's voice was in fantastic shape. One of my friends once heard the original Silver Springs and said "What a mess, she's kinda' all over the place." Not so on The Dance. "The strain" in parts actually communicates the lyric more effectively. It was a major come-back triumph.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 10-30-2016 at 05:51 PM..
Old 10-30-2016, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Agreed about her voice. Her voice on the first two albums is her best ever. Her WH era voice was crazy wild good but shot from all the time on the road and she'd lost some of her range.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Yeah, the three-part harmonies are amazing on The Dance version of that song. The piano is awesome, too. Nothing like a live grand in an open space. Musically and vocally, I just don't dig the original studio version. I did like when Ken Caillat isolated the guitar parts on the Rumours documentary. Those were stunning. But for the rest, I prefer The Dance, where I think Stevie's voice was in fantastic shape. One of my friends once heard the original Silver Springs and said "What a mess, she's kinda' all over the place." Not so on The Dance. "The strain" in parts actually communicates the lyric more effectively. It was a major come-back triumph.
Agree 100%. I'm glad SS wasn't on Rumours. Rumours is perfect the way it is. And The Dance featured SS and that was a highlight.