Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
Songbird before GYOW?
Just personal opinion but before I started listening to FM I had never heard of GYOW before, I had heard of Songbird. My list is based off FM songs I have heard on commercials or on the radio over the years albeit without realising who the songs belonged to.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBlues View Post
Just personal opinion but before I started listening to FM I had never heard of GYOW before, I had heard of Songbird. My list is based off FM songs I have heard on commercials or on the radio over the years albeit without realising who the songs belonged to.
Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

I feel like GYOW is one of those songs everybody knows whether they realize they know it or not. You start singing it, and they recognize it. At least 'round these parts.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, without reading all the responses here; I think this more of a generational Q than anything....leading to it is all questionable. Considering I was only 2yo in 1977 I would of course list hits like Little Lies and Gypsy among the top....but....is that a subjective opinion? Of course it is.

With that, The list should include:

Oh Well
Albatross
Sentimental Lady
Why (or) Spare Me
Rhiannon
Say You Love Me
Go Your Own Way
Dreams
Tusk
Don't Stop/Landslide (ugg, I hate to list either of these songs)
Old 05-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Rhiannon
Over My Head
Dreams
Go Your Own Way
The Chain
Don't Stop
Tusk
Gypsy
Little Lies
Silver Springs (from The Dance)
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 05-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Albatross
Oh Well
Green Manalishi
Hypnotized
Say You Love Me/Over My Head
Rhiannon
Landslide
Dreams
Go Your Own Way
Little Lies
Old 05-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There are so many different lists here. I'd like to try to consolidate and make an argument for and against a few songs, and see what you think. I'm defining iconic as not only what people know, recognize in their respective countries, and want to hear, but also as the songs the band will be most remembered for when all is said and done. It's a fascinating topic.

These songs I think are undisputedly the band's most iconic:
1. Landslide

2. The Chain

3. Go Your Own Way

4. Dreams

5. Rhiannon

6. Don't Stop

If you agree with those six, that leaves four slots that are open in a top 10 list. This is when the conversation gets much more interesting, since people have listed very diverse songs from each of Fleetwood Mac's eras. Here's how I would break down what would be most deserving to fit in those four slots, again keeping in mind that iconic doesn't necessarily mean greatest songs (for example: Don't Stop). I ranked my top three songs for Stevie, Christine, Lindsey, and non-Rumours era Fleetwood Mac:

STEVIE NICKS - the most well-known and dominate persona of the band:
1. Gold Dust Woman - Instantly iconic Stevie Nicks, a song only she could have done. It added rock credibility to the band in the 1970s, like Rhiannon. The gold shawl, the psychedelic influences, radio staple on rock stations today. There is just so much life and story and resonance with Stevie's personal struggles in this song.

2. Gypsy - Arguably the best studio production and unarguably the best Fleetwood Mac music video, then the most expensive video made. Probably their most iconic song from either Mirage or Tango in the Night...I don't think YouTube views captures this properly.

3. Sara - The most enigmatic song of Fleetwood Mac's songbook, some call it Stevie Nicks' masterpiece. Gorgeous production.

Some of Stevie's others songs would be in the conversation for best songs, but these three are probably her most iconic besides Landslide, Dreams, Rhiannon, and The Chain.

CHRISTINE MCVIE
1. Say You Love Me - A perfect pop song, probably Christine's most played song on the radio today in the U.S. I rank it higher than the Tango songs because this is the iconic Fleetwood Mac sound that does not sound dated or relegated to 80's pop.

2. You Make Loving Fun - Though very similar in structure to Say You Love Me, I think this is the superior song. Fantastic groove, sounds contemporary today.

3. Little Lies - Love the sound of the three singers in the chorus. The biggest hit from Tango in the Night and one of the biggest in the 80's, though Gypsy is a more iconic song in my eyes.

I don't think Songbird, Everywhere, Hold Me, or Over My Head are quite at the level of these three songs in terms of iconic factor. Songbird is never played on the radio and is most known for closing concerts. Everywhere I compare to Little Lies, coming from the same album, and tend to put Little Lies ahead, though I'd wonder especially how people in the U.K. consider the songs side by side. Over My Head, of course, is the band's first top 20 hit, but I'm not sure that one or Hold Me are as iconic as Say You Love Me, You Make Loving Fun, or Little Lies.

LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM
1. Tusk - Another song that is uniquely Fleetwood Mac's, though I'm not sure the uninitiated would been able to immediately identify it as their song. The product of Lindsey's artistic vision over the Tusk album, great use of marching band in popular music, but it remains divisive to this day for people who believe Lindsey's eccentric artistic sensibility did not necessarily translate into great songs and that his eccentricity should have been reigned in.

2. Big Love - A live performance staple, big hit in the 80s. It was updated to sound fresh (like some of their other songs should be), and remains a fantastic guitar showcase, well known but not enough in my opinion to put in a top 10 list.

3. Second Hand News - Rumours opener, a great pop song. Could have been a single but still widely known by the fan base. I'm not sure it is as universally known by the world or is iconic enough to rank over Stevie's and Christine's songs

I think besides Go Your Own Way, which if you are not ranking in a top 10 list you need to wake up LOL, Tusk has the best chance. But as I said, it is a divisive song. I'm So Afraid is more a concert song and didn't get the airtime Big Love did.

NON-RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC
1. Oh Well - I'd argue this is the most iconic of the non-Rumours era songs, though it's really tight for me between this song and Albatross. I think, in fact, I prefer Albatross, but think this song stands out more.

2. Albatross - Is there a better instrumental song produced by any band??? Instantly iconic, wonderful sound. This needs to be played again at a Fleetwood Mac show to remind newer fans how great and eclectic the band has been over nearly 50 years. If they had great management, there would be a special 50th anniversary concert and this song would be featured.

3. Black Magic Woman - This is an interesting scenario: isn't the Santana version more widely known by the world??? I'd argue then that the song isn't as iconic for Fleetwood Mac. Kind of the same case as I Will Always Love You. It was a Dolly Parton Song, but everyone knows it is Whitney Houston's song. I'm interested what people think who have included this song on their lists.

I think the Peter Green songs are more well-known than Bob Welch's to make a top 10 list of all the band's songs, but again my opinion.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

from Philly 500 classic rock songs (or something like that) - 2013 list -

http://www.wmgk.com/news/story.aspx?id=1709271

20 Fleetwood Mac The Chain
130 Fleetwood Mac Gypsy
160 Fleetwood Mac Go Your Own Way
180 Fleetwood Mac Landslide
191 Fleetwood Mac Gold Dust Woman
236 Fleetwood Mac Never Going Back Again
282 Fleetwood Mac Second Hand News
371 Fleetwood Mac Dreams
384 Fleetwood Mac You Make Loving Fun
393 Fleetwood Mac Over My Head
425 Fleetwood Mac Monday Morning
457 Fleetwood Mac Rhiannon
470 Fleetwood Mac Say You Love Me
493 Fleetwood Mac I Don't Want To Know

interestingly, some songs that were not mentioned in this thread made that list (IDWTK!), among 14 Mac songs.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is really an interesting topic. The only FM songs that are truly "iconic," in my opinion, are "Landslide," "Go Your Own Way," and "Rhiannon." They've all achieved a sense of timelessness and their place in popular culture. Maybe "Dreams" and "Don't Stop," if only for the association with the Clinton era.

"Sara" is an interesting case. Many people consider it Stevie's magnum opus, but I'm not sure of its appeal to casual fans and beyond. I love the song, but it kind of drags and sounds more like prose than verse. It became a hit in spite of itself. As I said, an interesting case.

I also think "Songbird" is more well-known and remembered than some seem to believe. The Eva Cassidy cover was quite popular and well-received.

I think "Tusk" deserves to be in the conversation. It's their quirkiest hit, and for some people, the only indication there was more to FM than Rumours.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
This is really an interesting topic. The only FM songs that are truly "iconic," in my opinion, are "Landslide," "Go Your Own Way," and "Rhiannon." They've all achieved a sense of timelessness and their place in popular culture. Maybe "Dreams" and "Don't Stop," if only for the association with the Clinton era.

"Sara" is an interesting case. Many people consider it Stevie's magnum opus, but I'm not sure of its appeal to casual fans and beyond. I love the song, but it kind of drags and sounds more like prose than verse. It became a hit in spite of itself. As I said, an interesting case.

I also think "Songbird" is more well-known and remembered than some seem to believe. The Eva Cassidy cover was quite popular and well-received.

I think "Tusk" deserves to be in the conversation. It's their quirkiest hit, and for some people, the only indication there was more to FM than Rumours.
When I originally posted the question, I imagined people would consider the most iconic songs from each era of the band. In my mind, for example, "Hypnotized" is quite iconic, albeit not as widely known as GYOW, but still very much a genuine musical statement that captured the public imagination in a specific way. Same with "Future Games"--thanks largely for its use in Almost Famous, but also because it seems like the apotheosis of early-70s mellow stoner rock.

When I think of Little Lies, I say "iconic." Many people who talk about FM mention THAT song first (and particularly Lindsey's and Stevie's vocals on the chorus). To my mind, it's nowhere near as outstanding as Say You Love Me (or Sugar daddy--had to say it) but it is truly an iconic piece that conjures up the mood and spirit of the mid 80s.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

I feel like GYOW is one of those songs everybody knows whether they realize they know it or not. You start singing it, and they recognize it. At least 'round these parts.
Northern England. I love GYOW I just had never heard of it before getting into FM. From my personal experience although Rumors (I always feel a need to put the letter U in it ) is the album that everyone knows, Little Lies and Everywhere from Tango in the Night are bigger than anything on Rumors with probably the exception of Don't Stop.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
From my personal experience although Rumors (I always feel a need to put the letter U in it ) is the album that everyone knows,
You're supposed to put a U in it. That's the album title.

Also, I took a look at the chart positions on wikipedia. In the UK, while Rumours was huge in the US and the 4 singles from the album all were top 10 they barely made the top 40 in the UK. "Dreams" placed the highest at 24 and "You Make Loving Fun" didn't even make the top 40. It wasn't until Tusk and Mirage that they started to have some chart success with their singles. Though even then it was selective. "Tusk" was top 10, but Sara barely made the top 40 and the other singles didn't chart. Similarly with Mirage "Hold Me" didn't chart, "Gypsy" peaked at 46, but "Oh Diane" made top 10. That's very odd. With Tango they had 3 top 10 hits and mixed in were two outside the top 50. Very erratic.

Last edited by MikeVielhaber; 05-17-2013 at 06:14 PM..
Old 05-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post

I agree with you both about Songbird. Before I became a FM fan, Songbird was a song I knew about even though I didn't realize it was a FM song. Also Gypsy, you made a great point about Sara. I would call it one of my favorite Stevie songs, but I rarely hear the song mentioned outside of the core FM fanbase. Yet I know causal fans or people who aren't exactly FM fans mention GYOW, Dreams, The Chain and Landslide.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
You're supposed to put a U in it. That's the album title.

Also, I took a look at the chart positions on wikipedia. In the UK, while Rumours was huge in the US and the 4 singles from the album all were top 10 they barely made the top 40 in the UK. "Dreams" placed the highest at 24 and "You Make Loving Fun" didn't even make the top 40. It wasn't until Tusk and Mirage that they started to have some chart success with their singles. Though even then it was selective. "Tusk" was top 10, but Sara barely made the top 40 and the other singles didn't chart. Similarly with Mirage "Hold Me" didn't chart, "Gypsy" peaked at 46, but "Oh Diane" made top 10. That's very odd. With Tango they had 3 top 10 hits and mixed in were two outside the top 50. Very erratic.
Odd and erratic? Welcome to Britain, sweetheart. We don't follow the crowd here.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:11 AM
Senior Ledgie

Go Your Own Way
Rhiannon
Dreams
The Chain
Landslide
Don't Stop
Tusk
Say You Love Me
Gold Dust Woman
Hold Me