Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-17-2005, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

i am 1st & formost a stevie fan & have been so glad to be accepted as a chiffonhead & a member of SOTB ~ when i 1st heard stevie it was on my aunt's buck-nicks lp back in '73 when it came out, then when her & lindsey joined fleetwood mac i heard landslide & i fell in love w/ fm~ i think every member tho has given an equal & phenomenal contribution to fm, starting as early as the 1st line-up of mac until the say you will line-up, i am not a "time" era fan very much, but i do own it & have given it respect enough to have played it many times~ it would take me all day to say why i love stevie most, but i feel i have a pure love of her from the beginning & have stayed w/ her for 32 yrs so far~ does that mean i think she is musically better than the rest, nope , christine truly sings like a songbird, lindsey is the most underrated guitar player i have ever seen, i mean the man is a genius, john is just so cool & mick, i mean c'mon ya gotta have mick, he is a pioneer that has been around for so long, he deserves his due also~ i love love seeing stevie solo & have the entire show just focus on her, but there is nothing like a fm show, i can't help it, they are awesome, & i wouldn't have missed this fm/stevie ride for the world!!!~
Old 06-17-2005, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Some people call themselves Stevieheads or Lindseyheads, some prefer the older lineup or the newer. For myself, I would have to say I'm a Fleetwood Mac head.
I'm in love with Stevie & Stevie only.

The others are just . . . there.

About ten years ago, I was bored with all of them. Then about eight years ago, I hated all of them except Dave Walker -- particularly his song "The Derelict." At that time, I spent much of my time each day singing & playing "The Derelict." Not that I myself was a derelict, but the tune insinuated itself into my consciousness like nothing had done since the time I was gone on "Echo Valley 2-6809" by the Partridge Family. Here we are, five years later, & I still can't get over how stupid it was for the engineers of the "Sound Magazine" album to have faded so QUICKLY on that track. They give you about NINE SECONDS is all of such beauty the likes of which you haven't heard since you listened to Glenn Gould play the Goldberg Variations or Martha Argerich perform Scarbo.

So anyway, before that, I was a huge fan of Elton John & then Jethro Tull. But I quickly tired of Jethro Tull because I was reared on pop songs, & Tull is a lot of tiresome art-rock pomposity. In fact, it should have been a dead giveaway because it was only Tull's poppier songs -- Rainbow Blues, Bungle in the Jungle, Thick as a Brick -- that I listened to repeatedly.

Christine McVie is a most attractive person, in terms of her physicality, her demeanor, her retenue, her incisiveness, the way she holds her head & her arms, the attractive lilt to her whistle (you can hear her whistle in her Innerview with Jim Ladd from June 1982), & her choice of keyboards. But Christine doesn't want fans, & fans don't complement Christine -- it's like Georgia peaches & cable routers. The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other: they're an exercise in incommensurates, like certain images & metaphors in the Hebrew Bible -- the J strands, particularly.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart
I was just kidding but you obviously give to this a much more serious meaning than me. I wasn't offended in any way by what you said. I don't think anyone (speaking in general here) can categorize people only because they share similar tastes. I find a bit ridiculous who does so (again, speaking in general). I think we can agree on that.
Absolutely. BTW, I'm sorry that I didn't pick up on the fact you were kidding. I've had people twist my words when I've said less, so I feel I have to be even more clear about what I'm saying.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I'm in love with Stevie & Stevie only.

The others are just . . . there.

About ten years ago, I was bored with all of them. Then about eight years ago, I hated all of them except Dave Walker -- particularly his song "The Derelict." At that time, I spent much of my time each day singing & playing "The Derelict." Not that I myself was a derelict, but the tune insinuated itself into my consciousness like nothing had done since the time I was gone on "Echo Valley 2-6809" by the Partridge Family. Here we are, five years later, & I still can't get over how stupid it was for the engineers of the "Sound Magazine" album to have faded so QUICKLY on that track. They give you about NINE SECONDS is all of such beauty the likes of which you haven't heard since you listened to Glenn Gould play the Goldberg Variations or Martha Argerich perform Scarbo.

So anyway, before that, I was a huge fan of Elton John & then Jethro Tull. But I quickly tired of Jethro Tull because I was reared on pop songs, & Tull is a lot of tiresome art-rock pomposity. In fact, it should have been a dead giveaway because it was only Tull's poppier songs -- Rainbow Blues, Bungle in the Jungle, Thick as a Brick -- that I listened to repeatedly.

Christine McVie is a most attractive person, in terms of her physicality, her demeanor, her retenue, her incisiveness, the way she holds her head & her arms, the attractive lilt to her whistle (you can hear her whistle in her Innerview with Jim Ladd from June 1982), & her choice of keyboards. But Christine doesn't want fans, & fans don't complement Christine -- it's like Georgia peaches & cable routers. The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other: they're an exercise in incommensurates, like certain images & metaphors in the Hebrew Bible -- the J strands, particularly.
Alright, A Glenn Gould reference! And, just for that, here's a picture of the CBC headquarters in Toronto, where the Glenn Gould studio is located.

And, here's a picture of some guy sitting next to the statue of Glenn Gould located right outside of the above building.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 06-17-2005 at 08:55 PM..
Old 06-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Hee...

I am a Lindsey Buckingham fan first and foremost, because he was the one who captured my attention (and heart) when I was in a very dark place. Then, I found out he was in this band....and I checked into that. I was hooked. I like most lineups okay and some I adore. I'm not a huge Christine fan, but she's cool with me. I love and adore Lindsey, Stevie and Danny the most. They are the tops for me.

I have to admit, if Lindsey hadn't been on the SYW tour, I would not have gone to as many, if any, concerts. He is pretty much, the be all and end all for me in regards to the Mac. I ain't apologizin' for it, either. UNLESS Danny Kirwan came back into the fold, then I'd most def have gone.

Competition? What competition?

Oh and BTW, Lindsey Rules.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Well, they're certainly the most outspoken and, from what I've seen, more apt to slander anybody who says otherwise.

I personally don't see some of the catty nastiness from fans of other members of Fleetwood Mac that I see with Stevie Nicks' fans. What's sad is the few who are so nasty tend to be the most vocal, which gives Stevie fans a bad name.
I've certainly witnessed and experienced "catty nastiness" from other Mac-related fan factions, so I can attest to the fact that it exists. Which is why I always say that Stevie Fans get a bum rap in the fan community, as there are other equally guilty parties.

The majority of us are intelligent, articulate, discerning and quite civil. But we still encounter more than a little of that "oh, you're a mindless Chiffonhead -- your opinion means nothing" hooey. Which, to me, is "catty nastiness" at its finest.

As you admitted, we're stereotyped by the reprehensible behaviour of a mere few... but unfortunately we're all stuck trying to live it down (or to just "live with it") because others in the fan community refuse to let anything go.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I've certainly witnessed and experienced "catty nastiness" from other Mac-related fan factions, so I can attest to the fact that it exists. Which is why I always say that Stevie Fans get a bum rap in the fan community, as there are other equally guilty parties.
The percentage may be the same, but the actual number is more, only because Stevie obviously has more fans. Thus, it is much more noticable. Personally, I don't have an issue with most Stevie fans. Since I consider myself a Fleetwood Mac fan above all else, I would obviously also be a fan of Stevie.
Quote:
As you admitted, we're stereotyped by the reprehensible behaviour of a mere few... but unfortunately we're all stuck trying to live it down (or to just "live with it") because others in the fan community refuse to let anything go.
Well, that works both ways, too. I mean, I still see a lot of the same patterns of behaviors by certain fans after ten years. For example, if one makes the slightest, though valid, criticism of Stevie, look at how many people come to her defense. I haven't seen the same with fans of others in the Mac. The ferocity to which people come to Stevie's defense is both amazing and scarey.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Talking

I myself prefer the 1975-1987, 1997-current era material but I aint knocking any of the other versions of the band. Some of the pre-1975 stuff is great, and some of the 1988-1991 stuff is ok. The era that I really just cringe at (and its just personal preference) is the Bekka era mess.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Well, that works both ways, too. I mean, I still see a lot of the same patterns of behaviors by certain fans after ten years. For example, if one makes the slightest, though valid, criticism of Stevie, look at how many people come to her defense. I haven't seen the same with fans of others in the Mac. The ferocity to which people come to Stevie's defense is both amazing and scarey.
I hate to do it, but I disagree on that one, too.

Of course, Stevie fans will pipe up to defend her when she's criticized. Fans do tend to do that. But, pay close attention... Lindsey's fans do it, too. As do Christine's fans.

Go back and check out the threads regarding the 'Destiny Rules' doc, for example, discussing what many felt to be childish behaviour on Lindsey's part. The hue and cry from his fans was quite loud and aggressive.

Criticize someone's favorite singer/writer/actor/Power Ranger and folks are going to defend them.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Criticize someone's favorite singer/writer/actor/Power Ranger and folks are going to defend them.
Well, the Power Ranger debate is useless. Everybody knows that Kimberly, the pink ranger is the best.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepingDeath
Well, the Power Ranger debate is useless. Everybody knows that Kimberly, the pink ranger is the best.
Oh, NOT EVEN.
Jason, the RED RANGER, was the best! Without him, Kimberly would have been nothing! A powerless waitress, in fact!

So, nyah!
Old 06-17-2005, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Go back and check out the threads regarding the 'Destiny Rules' doc, for example, discussing what many felt to be childish behaviour on Lindsey's part. The hue and cry from his fans was quite loud and aggressive.

I wasn't posting in here all that much when Destiny Rules came out, so I missed it. I bet that was funny, because I agree that Lindsey was acting childish. Still, I guess I find all of it to be funny. I'm totally being serious when I say Mick is my favorite member of the band, so I really don't have a favorite singer/songwriter per se. Now, look at all the **** he catches on this board. I could say something, but sometimes the criticisms are valid. I guess I just don't get the whole "somebody said something bad about _________...I need to come to _________'s denfese."

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-17-2005, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
The percentage may be the same, but the actual number is more, only because Stevie obviously has more fans. Thus, it is much more noticable. Personally, I don't have an issue with most Stevie fans. Since I consider myself a Fleetwood Mac fan above all else, I would obviously also be a fan of Stevie.

Well,...and you know I had to start it this way....I agree with Johnny, but...I think part of that is
A) Stevie is weird. She writes the kind of things that touch people in close, emotional ways, and she writes about weird, subtle sh**. So, if you don't get the weird sh** she is talking about, and other people do, they will have to say "but that song totally makes sense! To me! On that one day! "
B) Also, I think that sometimes people critisize Stevie for something that makes her both sublime and heinous - her bizarre, otherworldly, non technically proficient lyrics and vocalizations - they are her greatest weaknesses and her greatest strengths, but only sometimes the same ones for any one person.
C)I've seen some very serious Lindsey defense. Extremely serious. Throw down the gloves and fight serious.
D) Some people judge Stevie on how she looks/moves. That's fine, it's a part of Stevieness. I submit - she was so electric at some times, that people are (understandably) disappointed at anything less. Which actually includes her vocals, as well.
E) She has a bunch, tons, of star power. She's electric. She has "It". that doesn't mean everyone likes her, but you can bet, those who do, love her, because that is what she inspires.
F) I see Stevie's flaws. But when she is good, she is so good, that it's astounding.
G) I really love all the other members of FM. I have no doubt in my mind that "Miss Thang" wouldn't be anywhere, or at least not as many places, without them. Lindsey is a Super Genius. Christine is Sublime. And each of them gets extra super points just for being able to make Miss Thang's stuff so much better.
*ahem* I'm done.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 06-17-2005, 11:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In my opinion, I think the fans that love the Rumours Era Fleetwood Mac as a band, make up the smallest group. It's rare that you run across a person that prefers the band as a whole rather than preferring one particular member the most. It's almost impossible not to prefer one member slightly over another, but you hardly find someone who has this slight preference. Usually it's a huge preference for one member over the other.

I've always considered myself one of these "slight" preference fans. My tastes range. I started out loving Christine the most and would only listen to her songs. Then I started to like Lindsey and then eventually Stevie. She had to grow on me. So eventually everything meshed together for me and as goes those three my preference for one over the other is very very small. I can say that I like them almost equally. And I even love John and Mick (yes, I know alot of people don't like Mick). But it's the group Fleewood Mac is the be all and end all for me.

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 06-17-2005, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default response

Quote:

The majority of us are intelligent, articulate, discerning and quite civil. But we still encounter more than a little of that "oh, you're a mindless Chiffonhead -- your opinion means nothing" hooey. Which, to me, is "catty nastiness" at its finest.

Exactly. That's why I get tired of some of these boards and chatrooms is because there are some, not all, people that believe they are right and everyone else is wrong. I believe in civility, and respecting others opinions.