The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So, with the ones Stevie sang back up on, we're getting 5 new Lindsey songs.

Not bad.

Michele
Old 11-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love that Lindsey isn't just sitting on tracks for decades any more. Now he just needs to announce that he's got a new solo album coming out after the FM tour and it'll be the cake to go with the icing.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[So, they streamed Dull Tool, it shouldn't be long before we hear one of Lindsey's. Interesting that John Brion produced all the songs]

Indie Wire, The Playlist by Edward Davis, November 17, 2012

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...oster-20121117

It's already been revealed that the soundtrack for Judd Apatow's "This is 40" -- his sort-of-sequel to "Knocked Up" -- will feature another choice selections of cuts, including songs by Yoko Ono, Paul McCartney, Avett Brothers, Loudon Wainwright and more. But even more appealing is the fact that there are four artists who contributed new songs to the film's soundtrack, including Fiona Apple, Norah Jones, Graham Parker (who cameos in the film), and Lindsey Buckingham; all produced by the film's composer Jon Brion (Wilco and Ryan Adams also contribute new/live versions of previously known songs). It's a bit of a Dad-rock mix, but hell, it fits the material, and these kind of song selections served the tone for "Knocked Up" and Apatow's previous film "Funny People" extremely well.

This is a long-winded way of saying, here's a first listen of Apple's new track "Dull Tool" and it sounds like a vintage (and quirky) collaboration between her and Brion, the producer of her classic album The Pawn, and the unreleased version of Extraordinary Machine (some will say the superior version of the same set of songs that was released in 2005). A new poster has arrived too. Check out Paul Rudd in the Ween t-shirt (his character is a music industry A&R guy). The boognish would be proud.

"This is 40," also stars Leslie Mann, Albert Brooks, Megan Fox, Jason Segel, Chris O'Dowd, Lena Dunham, Melissa McCarthy, John Lithgow, Charlyne Yi, Maude and Iris Apatow and more. Universal Pictures will release the film on December 21, 2012. Check out the new song and poster below.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Samples up on Amazon

You can play snippets of the songs on Amazon!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
You can play snippets of the songs on Amazon!
thank you!

http://www.amazon.com/This-Is-40-Sou...rds=this+is+40

not sure i like much of LB's stuff that i can hear in those snippets... had especially high hopes for Sick Of You . at least his voice is normal and not sped up or distorted, so that's good. looking forward to see whether my opinion will change when i hear the whole songs.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
thank you!

http://www.amazon.com/This-Is-40-Sou...rds=this+is+40

not sure i like much of LB's stuff that i can hear in those snippets... had especially high hopes for Sick Of You . at least his voice is normal and not sped up or distorted, so that's good. looking forward to see whether my opinion will change when i hear the whole songs.
I agree elle. I was apprehensive seeing the titles, and from the short previews the lyrics seem a bit cliche. Hoping that changes once we have the full songs! Most interested in She's Just Like You as of now..
Old 11-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There's not really enough there to fully judge on but they're sort of what I was expecting. I was hoping Sick of You would have been an edgy rocker but didn't expect it to be given that it's on a compilation. The rhythms in the chorus of Brother and Sister are cool.

What I think is interesting is that (as far as I can tell through Amazon's mp3 crapifier) they seem to be different sonically to what he's been doing recently. There are sounds, like the bass in She Acts Like You, that are different to what he's done before. That was most likely a result of them not being produced by him.

I wonder if there are outside musicians on these as well (bar Norah Jones obviously) because if there are then it'll be about the most outside influence on Lindsey solo tracks that there's ever been.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I remember I didn't like Everybody Loves You when I heard a clip of it and I do like the full song, so maybe that will be true of one of these as well.

Michele
Old 11-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Back to the mainstream mr. Buckingham?

Old 11-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sounds like they autotuned him.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Sounds like they autotuned him.
huh? are we listening to the same thing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Tune

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Really???

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, I remember I didn't like Everybody Loves You when I heard a clip of it and I do like the full song, so maybe that will be true of one of these as well.

Michele
Old 11-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
huh? are we listening to the same thing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Tune
I know what autotune is. And yes. Listen to brothers and sisters.

You can hear some of the 'jolting' (for lack of better descriptor) very subtly when he changes notes that is characteristic of it.

Not a diss on Lindsey - I know he doesn't need autotune. I'm just saying it sounds to me like they gave him a little b/c I guess it's just common practice these days.. I could be wrong. Maybe it's just these sound clips aren't very good quality.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
Really???
Really what?

Brothers and Sisters is the worst of the 3. This will be a triple family relationship song failure for him, after Family Man and Flying Down Juniper.

The other 2 sound like they could be something.

Michele
Old 11-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Really what?

Brothers and Sisters is the worst of the 3. This will be a triple family relationship song failure for him, after Family Man and Flying Down Juniper.

The other 2 sound like they could be something.

Michele
I think BaS sounds like the most interesting of the 3 and it's 6.03 in length it has the possibility to go on a journey. I hope it's not just verse-chorus-verse-chorus-verse-chorus for 6 minutes. The other two sound nice but nothing spectacular from the clips. It's always hard to tell from such short clips. "They heard 15 seconds and that was enough", as the man himself has said