Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Getting into Rick Vito

Though I always respected his talent, I never gave Rick Vito's solo career much attention. He was severely under-used in Fleetwood Mac, in my opinion.

For a long time the only solo CDs I had of his were his first two - King of Hearts and Pink & Black. But now I'm ready to add to my Vito collection.

I just ordered Lucky Devils, Crazy Cool and his UK only Talk That Talk. Eventually I will get Band Box Boogie and Rattlesnake Shake. And I just discovered that he also has a Best of CD too!

Is that primarily his entire solo output?

When I was doing research I discovered that his first solo album was originally called Blues Town, but then it was modified into something else. Does anyone have the original? I saw the cover of it. It's a great classic old-school cover, and it's shame that none of his covers had that kind of quality. In fact, his first two album covers really suck, and are sort of cheesy.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-16-2011 at 09:43 PM..
Old 05-17-2011, 06:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Though I always respected his talent, I never gave Rick Vito's solo career much attention. He was severely under-used in Fleetwood Mac, in my opinion.

For a long time the only solo CDs I had of his were his first two - King of Hearts and Pink & Black. But now I'm ready to add to my Vito collection.

I just ordered Lucky Devils, Crazy Cool and his UK only Talk That Talk. Eventually I will get Band Box Boogie and Rattlesnake Shake. And I just discovered that he also has a Best of CD too!

Is that primarily his entire solo output?

When I was doing research I discovered that his first solo album was originally called Blues Town, but then it was modified into something else. Does anyone have the original? I saw the cover of it. It's a great classic old-school cover, and it's shame that none of his covers had that kind of quality. In fact, his first two album covers really suck, and are sort of cheesy.
As far as I know Blues Town never actually got produced. Rick was asked about it somewhere and he basically just brushed off the question (not like Rick at all) and pointed people at what was then his new album.

Yes there are only seven solo albums. The only one I really don't like is Band Box Boogie, which is just not my sort of music at all.

Of course you'll find him on albums by John Mayall, Jackson Browne, Bob Seger and others if you care to dig that deeply.

I'm sure you'll enjoy listening to all of those albums, they are well worth it!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Actually, no, Blues Town would've been his second solo album. If you read his Q&A here at the PENGUIN, I believe I asked him about it. With a few song substitutions and other songs released on later albums Pink & Black was the album released instead.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I HIGHLY recommend "Band Box Boogie"... I absolutely love it, and it's not even a style of music I typically care for. Like most of what Rick has put out, it's brilliantly produced and performed. It sounds like he had a lot of fun making the record.. I really can't say enough good things about it!

I agree that he was under-used in FM... both as a guitar player AND vocalist. I'm amazed that more people don't talk about what a talented singer he is...

Last edited by jeffd8382; 05-17-2011 at 03:46 PM..
Old 05-20-2011, 02:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Rick is amazing!!!! I have his solo collection with the exception of "Talk That Talk", "Crazy Cool" and "Lucky Devils". I ordered the rest (except "Pink and Black" which I already had) directly from Rick's website. You can ask him to autograph them, which I did, and he personalized each one differently. The guys is just fantastic! Those autographed CD's are now prized personal possessions.

If you haven't already, check out "Mick Fleetwood Blues Band featuring Rick Vito". That really showcases his talent and ability to adapt the music of others and make it his own. He moves almost seamlessly from his solo material to Peter Green's and back. I just love that CD. I can only continue to hope that they will record again. He's a very talented guy and that band is a phenomenal quartet. Both he and Mark Johnstone are great vocalists.

Anyone have any news on what's happening with MFBB?
Old 05-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rick's also featured on 3 of Jackson Browne's albums:

Hold Out
Lawyers In Love
Lives In The Balance

And, that's Rick's slide guitar on Bob Seger's "Like A Rock" that was used for all those Chevy Pickup commercials.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Hold Out? Which track(s)? Dind't know about this one.

John
Old 05-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post

John
I'm thinking that was a typo by Chili?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post

John
Rick took David Lindley's place in Jackson's band. Lindley's last album with Jackson was Running On Empty...Hold Out was Jackson's subsequent studio album, so I just assumed Rick had joined by then. If he hadn't, then my apologies.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Rick took David Lindley's place in Jackson's band. Lindley's last album with Jackson was Running On Empty...Hold Out was Jackson's subsequent studio album, so I just assumed Rick had joined by then. If he hadn't, then my apologies.
Well Hold Out still lists David Lindley as guitar, violin, electric guitar, steel guitar and lap steel guitar. Well that is if Wikipedia is correct.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm really liking Lucky Devils and Crazy Cool...and Talk That Talk. Now all I need is Rattle Snake Shake and Band Box Boogie. I'm amazed it took me so long to get into his solo career.

I have just about everything solo from Lindsey, Stevie, Mick, John, and Christine.

I have just a little from early Fleetwood Mac-ers: Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Jeremy Spencer. A few CDs from Bob Welch. Just one from Billy Burnette.

But right now it's all about Rick.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-31-2011 at 08:07 PM..
Old 05-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm really liking Lucky Devils and Crazy Cool...and Talk That Talk. Now all I need is Rattle Snake Shake and Band Box Boogie. I'm amazed it took me so long to get into his solo career.

I have just about everything solo from Lindsey, Stevie, Mick, John, and Christine.

I have just a little from early Fleetwood Mac-ers: Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Jeremy Spencer. A few CDs from Bob Welch. Just one from Billy Burnette.

You'll find Billy Burnette one of the hardest to chase down the back catalogue. Most of them are out of print or never made it to CD.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

There are two versions of Rattlesnake Shake, with slightly different songs/tracking order...and obviously, different covers.

The UK/Euro version:

The US version:

Old 06-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks. It seems that Rick has a more thriving solo career in Europe than in the US. Is that somewhat accurate?

I know that is sometimes the case with other American artists. One of my favorite bands, Scissor Sisters, are from the US, and only do show in 1000-2000 seat venues (but the fans are rabid!). Yet in the UK/Europe they are more popular and perform to huge crowds.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffd8382 View Post
I HIGHLY recommend "Band Box Boogie"... I absolutely love it, and it's not even a style of music I typically care for. Like most of what Rick has put out, it's brilliantly produced and performed. It sounds like he had a lot of fun making the record.. I really can't say enough good things about it!

I agree that he was under-used in FM... both as a guitar player AND vocalist. I'm amazed that more people don't talk about what a talented singer he is...
I whole heartedly agree.....BBB is KILLER!!!!!

You can't go wrong with any of Rick's stuff, particularly CC, BBB or LD!!!