User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by singertobe View Post
I haven't read the whole book yet. But so far from what Carol has described Stevie sounds like a real snob. I was quite shocked. It seemed so unlike her. Did anyone else get that vibe?
Yes I did and still do.It has always seemed to me that she didn't want Lindsey herself but she didn't want anyone else to have him either and had to show her a$$.This has been my beef with her for the past couple of years now.Her recent interviews compared to earlier ones are so disheartening and such a turn off IMO.Usually high profile people exhibit that kind of behavior when they first get famous b/c they haven't adjusted to the attention yet but I'd say 40 years is plenty of time to adjust.It seems that ever since she has been referred to as "a living legend" and an "icon" she has been a real egomaniac.Either that or she has to build herself up herself b/c she needs constant appraisal due to low self esteem issues and insecurities(which we all have),and MUST be noticed at all times.Kind of like when someone appears to be the life of the party and laughing and smiling all the time but is really sad and cries all the time when no one is around(sad clown syndrome).And I think the loss of her Mom has alot to do with it too b/c she was Stevie's rock,reality checker, safety net,psychologist,and anchor.I apologize to everyone for the long post but I was just discussing this with a friend and your post really struck a chord with me.All of the above is in my non-professional humble opinion of course.Moderator,if this is in the wrong forum let me know and I will post it elsewhere.Still love her though....
Old 04-26-2015, 09:41 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by singertobe View Post
I haven't read the whole book yet. But so far from what Carol has described Stevie sounds like a real snob. I was quite shocked. It seemed so unlike her. Did anyone else get that vibe?
Yes, I got that vibe. But she may have been at that time.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
Besides Mick's books, these are the accounts:

Stevie: Up Close New Zealand, 2005 [x]

We all think back to our trip to New Zealand, you know, its an amazing story, it was the fight of all fights, and I think there was thirty thousand people there, that had come form buses all around New Zealand to see us. We were on the last song, of the set, and Lindsey threw his Les Paul guitar at me. I ducked so it didn’t hit me, but i was so mad that he had endangered my life. He then stormed off the stage - and we all stormed off the stage after him. The bodyguards and everyone had to physically separate all of us, and we didn’t do an encore that night, and that is the first and only time we have not done an encore. He was mad at me probably because he… it was okay for me to be the performer that i was when we were a couple, but when we broke up, he hated that fact that i was such a lead singer. And I’m sure when we left New Zealand, we were not even on the same plane.

Rolling Stone, 1997 [x]

That wasn’t the only psychodrama Australia would see; one evening, as Nicks performed her patented witchy dance on “Rhiannon,” twirling under her hooded poncho, Buckingham wrenched his jacket over his head and began dancing in a crude, crowlike imitation of her. “Lindsey was angry - just mad at me,” recalls Nicks. “That wasn’t a one-time thing. Lindsey and I had another huge thing that happened onstage in New Zealand. We had some kind of a fight, and he came over - might have kicked me, did something to me, and we stopped the show. He went off, and we all ran at breakneck speed back to the dressing room to see who could kill him first. Christine got to him first, and then I got to him second - the bodyguards were trying to get in the middle of all of us.”

"I think he’s the only person I ever, ever slapped," says Christine McVie. "I actually might have chucked a glass of wine, too. I just didn’t think it was the way to treat a paying audience. I mean, aside from making a mockery of Stevie like that. Really unprofessional, over the top. Yes, she cried. She cried a lot."

Without quite denying such incidents, Buckingham looks genuinely a bit puzzled to hear them played back. “What I do remember,” he says, “is a show where I purposely sang much of the set out of tune. We got offstage, and everyone was irate, obviously. They were talking about firing me and getting Clapton. Very well founded, because it was not a professional thing to do.”

Mojo, 2003 [x]

In March 1980, playing to 60,000 in Auckland, New Zealand while loaded with whisky (according to Fleetwood), he pulled his jacket over his head in grotesque imitation of Nicks’s drapes and started to ape her twirling moves. Then he ran across the stage and kicked her. Nicks carried on like a trouper.

In the dressing-room, head hung in shame, he was confronted by Christine McVie who slapped him and threw a glass of wine over him: “Don’t you ever do that to this band again! Ever! Is that clear?”

Buckingham can’t remember the events, but says, with bemusement: “Oh, I wouldn’t doubt that I mimicked Stevie on-stage. And kicked her? That could have happened too.”

And when Nicks rejoined Fleetwood Mac for the intriguingly Tusk-like Say You Will – he found her ready to forgive – and not forget, but laugh about “the time you threw that Les Paul at me” and such.

And The Daily Fail duly rehashed the story in 2013 [x]

‘I was dancing on stage,’ begins Nicks, now 65, in the salon of her rented Parisian pied-à-terre.

‘It was the Tusk tour, 1980, Auckland, New Zealand. I was doing my thing with my shawl and Lindsey pulled his jacket up over his head and started mimicking me, behind my back.

'I thought, “Well, that’s not working for me.” But I didn’t do anything. This must have infuriated him, because he came over and kicked me.

'And I’d never had anyone be physical with me in my life. Then he picked up a black Les Paul guitar and he just frisbee’d it at me. He missed, I ducked – but he could have killed me.’
I’m not sure that happened,’ Buckingham, 64, states flatly at his gated LA estate.

‘Oh, it happened, all right,’ asserts Christine McVie, 70, drinking in a glorious view of the Thames. ‘I threw a glass of wine in his face.’

CAH’s version in 'Storms'

Four days later I received a phone call from Sara. Things were not good, she told me. As I listened in stunned disbelief she told me about what had just happened in Auckland, New Zealand. At a concert in front of thirty thousand people, Lindsey totally lost it on stage. The show was being simulcast over radio to all of New Zealand, which only added to the horror of what she was telling me. I sank down onto the floor as I listened to her story.

The band had only been playing for a little while, she said, when Lindsey suddenly pulled his jacket over his head - once again mimicking Stevie and her shawl-draped stage persona. He followed her around in grotesque imitation, intentionally playing the wrong parts on his guitar song after song. And then, before anyone could even try to stop him, he started kicking out at her with his heavy cowboy boots, doing his best to land blows on her unprotected legs - and when he did, the kick seemed to stun her.

The audience was also stunned, Sara said. Stevie frantically tried to stay away from his steel-toed cowboy boots and the whole show fell apart. And it all happened in front of thirty thousand fans in the audience and untold thousands listening on their radios.

Afterward, when the band headed back to the dressing room, Christine walked up to Lindsey and slapped him hard across the face as she screamed, “Don’t you dare do that to us again, do you hear me? How dare you do that to the band and Stevie?” She then threw a drink in his face.

A Journalist Writes, 2009 [x]

Then there’s the worst concert ever. You probably wouldn’t guess who gets my top billing in that category in a million years. A clue: they’re coming back in December, and their tickets for a one-off concert go on sale Monday.

That’s right - supergroup Fleetwood Mac.

It was March 1980 in Wellington, and they were riding high on Rumours (1977) and the recently released Tusk. But in true rock fashion that wasn’t all they were riding high on and the state of their personal relationships - four of the band members had once made two happily married couples - was chaotic.That concert has been on my mind lately because of a couple of texts sent to Hawke’s Bay Today bemoaning the Mission’s Motown act, and the inability to get an act like the Mac. It brought a sly grin to the face as I remembered back to the debacle that night at Athletic Park.

I know Mick Fleetwood has written about it, but the best reference I could find on the internet was the following passage: “(Lindsey) Buckingham finally succumbed to the curse of Fleetwood Mac guitarists.

"At one show in New Zealand, as (Stevie) Nicks sang Rhiannon he pulled his jacket over his head and began performing a grotesque imitation of her. Christine McVie slapped him. ‘I might have chucked a glass of wine over him, too,’ she says. ‘I didn’t think that was the way to treat a paying audience’."

I suspect that incident came just before the band left the stage to temporarily sort out their differences so the show could go on. Legendary New Zealand bluesman Hammond Gamble and his band, Street Talk, was the support act that night and they had played superbly. As Fleetwood Mac deteriorated in front of our eyes, I remember a chant starting up: “Bring back Street Talk.” I joined in. I gave Hammond a call this week to check that my memory hadn’t faded. It hadn’t - his had. “Are you sure it wasn’t earlier than 1980?” he said down the phone from Auckland. But he remembered the important stuff.

"They were arguing among themselves," he said. "We were told to leave them alone and don’t get near them." Hammond said the gig that followed at Western Springs was a good concert but Wellington was most definitely “meltdown night”. After their team meeting, Fleetwood Mac did return to the stage and Nicks used all of her considerable charm in an attempt to win the crowd over and prove she was the rock goddess we had come to see. Somehow, though, it was forced. And 29 years later as the band, minus the delightful Christine McVie, prepare for their first New Zealand concert since that fateful March, it remains my worst live rock experience.

On that night, despite my liking for their music and lusting for Nicks, personal problems won out over the band’s reputation and ability.
These accounts differ significantly. In the pattern similar to folklore, fuzzy recollection gives way to embellishments and new memories emerge from the embellishments.

We can be certain of only a few things. They were in Wellington. They were playing "Rhiannon." Lindsey put his jacket over I his head and began doing a crass parody of Stevie's witch dance. He was playing the wrong notes and elsewhere In the set he had already been playing and singing out of tune. All of that is enough to warrant a slap from Christine. (It appears that probably happened.) The rest is uncertain.

In his book, Mick was careful not to say outright that Lindsey kicked her. He may have. Whatever the case, the crowd appeared to think this was all part of the act and, by his reports, loved it. I am highly suspect of the fan's recollection. I'm also highly suspect of Stevie's saying he kicked her and threw his guitar at her.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
These accounts differ significantly. In a pattern similar to folklore, fuzzy recollection gives way to embellishments and new memories emerge from the embellishments.

We can be certain of only a few things. They were in Wellington. They were playing "Rhiannon." Lindsey put his jacket over his head and began doing a crass parody of Stevie's witch dance. He was playing the wrong notes and elsewhere in the set he had already been playing and singing out of tune. All of that is enough to warrant a slap from Christine. (It appears that probably happened.) The rest is uncertain.

In his book, Mick was careful not to say outright that Lindsey kicked her. He may have. Whatever the case, the crowd appeared to think this was all part of the act and, by his reports, loved it. I am highly suspect of the fan's recollection. I'm also highly suspect of Stevie's saying he kicked her and threw his guitar at her.
The outright kicking could have been embellished- though I can envisage him being a goon and maybe tapping at her feet or legs or something. It doesn't sound as if the crowd did think it was part of the act and love it (as per the account written by the journalist Grant Harding). Sounds like they were rather pi**ed off with it all.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
The fact that Stevie's memory has improved over time is telling. First she said that Lindsey "did something" to her but couldn't remember exactly what.

Then, Mick said he kicked her for playing around during his GYOW solo. Then, after that, Stevie saying he threw his guitar at her and she ducked came along late and is a fairly recent version of the story.

I would say that seeing as how Stevie seemingly asked Lindsey (it's unclear because the magazine article doesn't say which one of them is speaking) if he remembered throwing a guitar at her in the MOJO interview during the SYW tour that he probably has thrown a guitar at her, but not necessarily at the New Zealand concert.

Lindsey said he played a whole concert out of tune and that the band was understandably mad at him, but I don't know if that happened that same night either.

Michele
Old 04-26-2015, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The fact that Stevie's memory has improved over time is telling. First she said that Lindsey "did something" to her but couldn't remember exactly what.

Then, Mick said he kicked her for playing around during his GYOW solo. Then, after that, Stevie saying he threw his guitar at her and she ducked came along late and is a fairly recent version of the story.

I would say that seeing as how Stevie seemingly asked Lindsey (it's unclear because the magazine article doesn't say which one of them is speaking) if he remembered throwing a guitar at her in the MOJO interview during the SYW tour that he probably has thrown a guitar at her, but not necessarily at the New Zealand concert.

Lindsey said he played a whole concert out of tune and that the band was understandably mad at him, but I don't know if that happened that same night either.

Michele
Yes, it sounds like there could have been elements from other events that got added into this particular story. Even then, I suspect there could be a degree of exaggeration. I can see Lindsey getting mad at Stevie and throwing his guitar down in anger- possibly near her. Whether he ever outright threw his guitar at her (frisbee-style!) is a different matter.