Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac - I think they're knocking right now!

Buckingham still goes his own way
Ex-Fleetwood Mac frontman's last CD took him 14 years

BY STEVE KNOPPER
Special to Newsday
http://www.newsday.com/entertainment...usic-headlines

March 22, 2007

A funny few things happened on the way to Lindsey Buckingham's latest solo record. He got married and had three children. His old band, Fleetwood Mac, got back together. He wrote a bunch of songs - only to give them to the band for its "Say You Will" album. He and the band made $69 million touring the States in 2003. The whole process of making last year's "Under the Skin," a catchy wisp of a rock 'n' roll record, took 14 years.

"Certainly not for lack of intention," says Buckingham, 57, whose solo tour stops tomorrow at the North Folk Theatre in Westbury and Saturday at the Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center.

Although Buckingham is best known for writing smash middle-of-the-road rock songs like "Second Hand News" and "Go Your Own Way," fans know him as a studio wiz and superb guitarist. "Under the Skin" sounds at first like a minimalist folk album, dark and moody with sporadic echoes of Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska," but it's meticulously arranged with layers of guitars and Buckingham's distinctive high-pitched vocals.

"I wondered what it would be like to make an album about what's not going on - no drums, no bass, no lead guitar," he says, "and try to keep it as simple as possible."

By phone from a tour stop outside Mobile, Ala., the chatty Buckingham amiably runs down his life and career, beginning with the shadow of his two older brothers. Jeff, the oldest, was a swimmer and a basketball player, while Greg swam in the 1968 Olympics. (He died in 1990.) "If you asked [Jeff], he'd say, 'Well, I'm the one who didn't do anything,'" Buckingham recalls. "He's probably more at peace than anybody."

The rest of Buckingham's story is perhaps familiar: He gave up swimming and joined the Fritz Raybyne Memorial Band, named after a classmate, in his senior year of high school. At San Mateo Junior College, Fritz added a talented singer named Stevie Nicks. Buckingham and Nicks would become collaborators and lovers, releasing a duo album in 1974, and happened to be recording at Los Angeles' Sound City Studios when Mick Fleetwood, leader of British blues band Fleetwood Mac, showed up looking for a guitarist.

Since then, the band has sold more than 48 million records, including its 1977 blockbuster "Rumours," but internal relationships between bassist John McVie and singer Christine McVie as well as Buckingham and Nicks proved to be too much of a strain. The band broke up in 1987, and didn't reform again until a decade later - minus Christine.

Buckingham plans to return to the Mac for another tour, possibly in late 2008, but not before he plays many more solo shows and, perhaps, releases another album. "That's a new thing for me - carving out a larger window for myself, time-wise," he says. "If Fleetwood Mac comes knocking, which is usually the case - in fact, I think they're knocking right now! - I'm just saying, 'Hey, look, I've been waiting to do this, I deserve to do this, and this is something I'm going to do.'"
Old 03-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
The band broke up in 1987, and didn't reform again until a decade later - minus Christine.
I think it's wonderful that newspapers pay people to be such meticulous fact checkers.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Buckingham plans to return to the Mac for another tour, possibly in late 2008, but not before he plays many more solo shows and, perhaps, releases another album.
What's THAT Lindsey? Fock that. A slip of the tongue I presume??????

Old 03-22-2007, 06:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What, that surprises you?

I'm guess he can't make promises 100%, because it depends on more factors, other people perhaps. The record company.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
What, that surprises you?

I'm guess he can't make promises 100%, because it depends on more factors, other people perhaps. The record company.
Offcourse it didn't surprise me, but he sounded soooo focussed till now. Well, he's in a confident place now. I guess he's going for what he wants.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Keep 'em knocking, Lindsey. PLEASE keep 'em knocking!!!

I want the SOLO version of his next 'collection' of songs AND another tour, not the hi-jacked Mac edition.

Love the Mac, seriously, I do. But I'm having so much fun with this!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 06:24 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
He and the band made $69 million touring the States in 2003.
Wow...that's a lot of money.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondaymornin1 View Post
Keep 'em knocking, Lindsey. PLEASE keep 'em knocking!!!

I want the SOLO version of his next 'collection' of songs AND another tour, not the hi-jacked Mac edition.

Love the Mac, seriously, I do. But I'm having so much fun with this!!!
Agreed. He doesnt need the money. He's enjoying himself, from what I've seen, more on this tour. I say keep on rockin.