The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart
I would have loved to see and hear much more music too, especially from the rehearsals... I can't believe they've played Storms and there wasn't a single second of it on the doc.

Romy
Omigosh, I didn't know that. well, now i'm even more pissed!
Old 11-28-2004, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I agree about missed opportunity. in the end, when they were practicing "world turning" for the show, i was like damn, the whole thing coulda been like this! But i disagree about Stevie not setting out to be commercial. From the evidence i've garnered, she always had her eyes on the prize...but the other prize was making good music, which i think she also always had her eyes on. but, whatever... And I'm not sure she had a fear of alienating her audience, I think she mostly likes similar kinds of songs, and thinks of similar songs only. but hey, i could be wrong. doesn't seem likely, though
I don't think it's a case of her liking similar kinds of songs, I think it's a case of her only knowing two chords.

She had a tough time getting a contract to release Bella Donna because everyone said it was too artsy and out-there. And there are demos out there where she calls her songs "artsy fartsy" and "weird." Like I said, I don't think she set out to be commercial, I think she set out to be a star, a good songwriter, and a good singer. When she found a formula that worked, she stuck to it.

Old 11-28-2004, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
DR sucks for the simple fact that it's all drama and nothing else. I wanted to hear and see the songs being constructed. What a missed opportunity that was.
Yeah I agree, I was really looking forward to seeing how the process of recording the songs went... Instead we get some melodramatic bulls**t thats got a made for tv feel...

My one favorite moment was right at the start. Lindsey travis picking The Destiny Rules riff and saying "Schwing Maaaaannn"

I would have liked to have seen more footage of Lindsey working on his solo album from 1995-97 included.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
I don't think it's a case of her liking similar kinds of songs, I think it's a case of her only knowing two chords.

She had a tough time getting a contract to release Bella Donna because everyone said it was too artsy and out-there. And there are demos out there where she calls her songs "artsy fartsy" and "weird." Like I said, I don't think she set out to be commercial, I think she set out to be a star, a good songwriter, and a good singer. When she found a formula that worked, she stuck to it.
ah, i thought "star" implied commerciality. I didn't know that about Bella Donna. but i think those songs are the same. I mean, the same as each other and the same as lots of stevie songs. But i guess i can infer that, if she wasn't thinking about making hits, a lot of her songs would be slow, rambling, and somewhat dull? If you can't tell, BellaDonna is my least fav.
lol at two chords... But i'm not sure Stevie stuck to the formula on purpose. I think she just actually thinks, writes, and says the same things over and over. I mean, i think she always writes in the same general web of consciousness. does that make sense?
Old 11-28-2004, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just because I like their music, it doesn't mean that I like their egotistical behavior.

I think the problem is that they've been sheltered and spoiled rock stars for so long that they have no sense of the real world, only what they've been exposed to for thirty years. Which is money, adoration, material things, and free reign to act however they want. I just have a problem relating to such spolied people, especially when they piss and moan about how they're doing it for the art (yet "pray to the commercial gods") and compare themselves to indie directors who make no money and live in two bedroom flats. I mean, get a clue. You people do not live on the same Earth that we common folk do and I just find the behavior more ridiculous and laughable than anything else.
Yet you wouldn't concede my point about hypocritical rich Democrats.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
My one favorite moment was right at the start. Lindsey travis picking The Destiny Rules riff and saying "Schwing Maaaaannn"
That cracked me up.

I felt as if they were teasing us by showing us all the masters of different songs, yet never letting us even hear them in their early stages. But, this doc just goes to show you that this band thrives on the drama that made them famous and successful. An ingredient that they continue to milk today. They didn't really even talk about the songs, the inspirations, etc. The only things we heard of Lindsey's were Stevie adding her vocals to them.

Old 11-28-2004, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
Yet you wouldn't concede my point about hypocritical rich Democrats.
Your whole premise is based on the fact that they're rich, though. I'm not hurting for money, does that make me hypocritical for being a Democrat for so long? When I got my tax break, I donated all of it. Party affiliation is not as black and white as you make it out to be when it comes to that point. AND - your point is rather moot because anyone who isn't a Republican has a firm grasp of the real world.

Old 11-28-2004, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That cracked me up.

They didn't really even talk about the songs, the inspirations, etc. The only things we heard of Lindsey's were Stevie adding her vocals to them.
I would have loved LB to explain to us his thoughts in detail on the inspiration behind Miranda, Come etc... We know the basics, I just would have loved to see LB's face and his pauses trying to find the right phrase...
Old 11-28-2004, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would have loved LB to explain to us his thoughts in detail on the inspiration behind Miranda, Come etc... We know the basics, I just would have loved to see LB's face and his pauses trying to find the right phrase...
LB pausing? oh, to come up with the perfectly worded pompous reply. of course.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
LB pausing? oh, to come up with the perfectly worded pompous reply. of course.
LB pompous???

in LB's words (and high pitched trying to sound innocent voice).. "Jesus Christ man!"

Old 11-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Your whole premise is based on the fact that they're rich, though. I'm not hurting for money, does that make me hypocritical for being a Democrat for so long? When I got my tax break, I donated all of it. Party affiliation is not as black and white as you make it out to be when it comes to that point. AND - your point is rather moot because anyone who isn't a Republican has a firm grasp of the real world.
Can one be "corporate" and liberal/progressive simultaneously? Even though you are comfortable financially, you walk the walk of a liberal. Just because Lindsey donates to the ACLU and is anti-war, doesn't mean he's liberal on all counts. But we'll never see eye to eye on this.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
LB pompous???

in LB's words (and high pitched trying to sound innocent voice).. "Jesus Christ man!"

I totally remembered that part when you said it. He sounded so whiny/wussy there thanks, macman! now i'm thinking of my mom making fun of him singing GYOW in whiny voice. good times...
Old 11-28-2004, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
Can one be "corporate" and liberal/progressive simultaneously? Even though you are comfortable financially, you walk the walk of a liberal. Just because Lindsey donates to the ACLU and is anti-war, doesn't mean he's liberal on all counts. But we'll never see eye to eye on this.
And I wouldn't presume to say he is. No one is a true progressive unless they actually work towards a goal and put their blood and tears into making good things happen. Donating money doesn't mean ****, you have to grab a sign and picket.

Old 11-28-2004, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Donating money doesn't mean ****, you have to grab a sign and picket.

That I agree with.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And I wouldn't presume to say he is. No one is a true progressive unless they actually work towards a goal and put their blood and tears into making good things happen. Donating money doesn't mean ****, you have to grab a sign and picket.
I disagree. I think with the way the world works, and how things get done, that donating money can mean a lot. For instance, who would work at food kitchens if no one donated money for food? How would environmental lawyers bring things to court if they didn't have money? How would poorer politicians that we like even get their voice heard, and compete at all without donations? How would planned parenthood offer free services to people that need it without money? I could donate blood, sweat and tears, but i certainly can't manufactur birth control pills or perform abortions. I think a combo of both is good.

Last edited by amber; 11-28-2004 at 07:27 PM..