User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-25-2004, 03:21 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
If I remember correctly, you were one of the people who violated the rules of this board yesterday by insisting on posting about the burnish.net nonsense even after a moderator asked that the discussion be stopped. So not only did you show utter and complete disrespect to the spirit of this community and its guidelines, you doubled that by disrespecting the moderator. You, sir/madam, are in no position to reprimand anyone. And I would suggest you stick around and observe a little more before you get on your soapbox again.

There you go again. How many times are moderators here going to have to tell you not to carry over discussions from other boards to this board?

It is also wrong to continue to insist on discussing matters that a moderator has asked you to stop discussing, or do you not see that? And, frankly, I don't really care what you think is wrong, especially since you have already barrelled through here disrespecting the community and specific individuals.

I disagree with your assessment that I have mocked him. I merely asked Marty some questions, some of which he answered and some of which he didn't. Do you see me pressing him further on the issue of the locked thread that was duplicated? No. I am merely pressing on the issues that I do not feel were answered.

You would do well to tone down your sense of indignation about my behavior until you adjust your own.

Like I said, I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you, many of us know how you love that. I am going to say that not everyone posts 3300 times to have to be told by someone like you to "stick around". I've been around since the beginning and quite possibly longer than you. Thousands of people visit this site who don't post.

It's been pointed out to you many times that you can leave if you're so unhappy about the way this site is run. I would think someone with your high standards, sense of right and wrong about free speech, proper site design and management skills would have taken their leave long ago or started their own open message board. But that would take money and time and energy for something that benefits many people.

You didn't merely ask Marty some questions, you demanded the stickies be removed, NOW. You mocked the management skills of Marty and his moderators with your Mickey Mouse remarks, you demanded answers and told him how to design and run his site.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsnake
I completely agree. Now, if I made a racist, hateful post then I could completely understand it being deleted. But all I said was "What's going on with Burnish?"
But I don't think anyone faults you for it being locked. I seem to recall that I asked "What happened?" and then someone said what happened and then other people started talking about what happened, there was the inevitable disagreement, then Johnny said that he doesn't want a disagreement about Burnish, and the posts therein, besmirching the Ledge, lest something untoward be said about Tracy or Burnish in general, he didn't want the toxic carry over. Seems to me. Or, IMHO. It was nothing about you.
AMber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 08-25-2004, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinLine
Like I said, I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you, many of us know how you love that.
Wow, you've been here, what, two, three days, and you already know me!!?

Quote:
I am going to say that not everyone posts 3300 times to have to be told by someone like you to "stick around". I've been around since the beginning and quite possibly longer than you. Thousands of people visit this site who don't post.
That's wonderful, but so what?

Quote:
It's been pointed out to you many times that you can leave if you're so unhappy about the way this site is run. I would think someone with your high standards, sense of right and wrong about free speech, proper site design and management skills would have taken their leave long ago or started their own open message board. But that would take money and time and energy for something that benefits many people.
I am perfectly happy where I am. And, really, I'm not sure why it should matter to you so much where I post.

Quote:
You didn't merely ask Marty some questions, you demanded the stickies be removed, NOW. You mocked the management skills of Marty and his moderators with your Mickey Mouse remarks, you demanded answers and told him how to design and run his site.
This is utter nonsense. I told him "how to design and run his site?" I'd like you to quote back to me where I said that. You can't because I never said it. For someone who claims you know me so well, it's weird that you missed the humor in my post, what with the references to Mickey Mouse and all. The people around here who have grown accustomed to my style of posting probably got that.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The Burnish thread was closed and then deleted because it was perpetuating a personal feud. Which is clearly against our FAQs.
Christopher (diamondsnake) this is through no fault of your own... it was simply the direction in which the thread went.

The new "Burnish Situation" thread that is currently sticky, was posted by me to clear the air a little. It was not meant to be a discussion, it was meant to be an explanation.

Also, it was never my intention to leave it sticky for more than about 24 hours or so, in order for people to have a chance to read it.
After that, I had every intention of un-sticking it.

For the record, I'm on a slower computer and I'm on a dial-up connection, and I have no problems scrowling past a few sticky threads.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 08-25-2004 at 03:42 PM..
Old 08-25-2004, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
The Burnish thread was closed and then deleted because it was perpetuating a personal feud. Which is clearly against our FAQs.
Since when did we start deleting threads? I thought the practice was to lock them. Did you make an arbitrary ruling or has the policy changed?

Quote:
The new "Burnish Situation" thread that is currently sticky, was posted by me to clear the air a little. It was not meant to be a discussion, it was meant to be an explanation... so therefore I closed it.
Seriously, Johnny, you don't see anything wrong with posting a thread and locking it immediately so you can have the last word, and then going back, unlocking it, using it for the personal resason of apologizing to a friend, relocking it and disallowing people from replying? You think that was proper?
Old 08-25-2004, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Since when did we start deleting threads? I thought the practice was to lock them. Did you make an arbitrary ruling or has the policy changed?
Why is assumed that I'm even the one who deleted it? I'm not the only moderator here, although I realize I'm usually the most vocal.

And deleting threads is not a new thing. Threads have been deleted in the past for violating FAQs.

It's not something we like to do, and it's not something we've done very often... but it has been done when it's considered necessary.

Quote:
Seriously, Johnny, you don't see anything wrong with posting a thread and locking it immediately so you can have the last word, and then going back, unlocking it, using it for the personal resason of apologizing to a friend, relocking it and disallowing people from replying? You think that was proper?
I made a judgement call. I don't expect everyone to agree with what I did, but I felt I needed to do it. And I don't apologize for it.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 08-25-2004 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: fixed a potentially misleading phrasing.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Christopher (diamondsnake) this is through no fault of your own... it was simply the direction in which the thread went.
But that is just the thing- the thread wasn't going in a bad direction. Everyone was being civilized and it was not turning into a fight. When the Ledge was shut down for about a week last year there were posts on Burnish and BN.net about it and people speculated. Why can't people wonder what happened to Burnish when it has shut down? I think you should have only deleted my thread if a fight happened or if people were being nasty to each other. There is nothing on the FAQ that says we can't talk about other Fleetwood Mac websites.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 08-25-2004, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
But that is just the thing- the thread wasn't going in a bad direction. Everyone was being civilized and it was not turning into a fight. When the Ledge was shut down for about a week last year there were posts on Burnish and BN.net about it and people speculated. Why can't people wonder what happened to Burnish when it has shut down? I think you should have only deleted my thread if a fight happened or if people were being nasty to each other. There is nothing on the FAQ that says we can't talk about other Fleetwood Mac websites.
People were fighting, member?
AMber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 08-25-2004, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
But that is just the thing- the thread wasn't going in a bad direction. Everyone was being civilized and it was not turning into a fight.
Ummmm... I would have to disagree with this one- there were definitely some uncivilized tones in that thread. There were some sly, venomous comments that were made about another poster that could have easily slid into a "personal feud"- except for the fact that that particular poster had the smarts to not react to the venom.

I think Johnny was right to lock it- although, I don't think it necessarily needed to be deleted.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
If there were conversations on Burnish and BN.net about The Ledge, so be it. Our guidelines and FAQs don't apply anywhere but here.

And keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with having general discussions about other fan-sites here... that's not the issue. The issue was negative comments made about the site, and then negative comments made (by both sides) in regards to why the Burnish message board is no longer functional.

As I said, personal feuds and "wars" that happen on other sites, are to stay there. And derogatory comments about those sites and the people who run them, are not acceptable here.

It's that simple.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Registered

Quote:
Wow, you've been here, what, two, three days, and you already know me!!?

That's wonderful, but so what?

I am perfectly happy where I am. And, really, I'm not sure why it should matter to you so much where I post.

This is utter nonsense. I told him "how to design and run his site?" I'd like you to quote back to me where I said that. You can't because I never said it. For someone who claims you know me so well, it's weird that you missed the humor in my post, what with the references to Mickey Mouse and all. The people around here who have grown accustomed to my style of posting probably got that.
You obviously didn't understand the concept the first time so here it is again. There are thousands of people who visit the Penguin and other fan sites and don't post at all or rarely post. That doesn't mean they don't read the threads or arrived here yesterday or 3 days ago.

I don't know why I'm bothering but here it goes, from your original post........

Quote:

Who is running this forum, John Asscroft!?

Get rid of the stickies. Now!

Get rid of them. Or find a place for them exclusively. The last I checked there is a "Ledge Boards" area in this forum and that's where these things belong

THIS IS A MICKEY-MOUSE WAY TO RUN THINGS, and that kind of practice BELONGS ON MICK'S BOARD, not here.

I want answers!!

Gee, Marty, now you're objecting to how I choose to write my posts. That kind of thing should be beneath you.
Sorry, I don't know how to make change the size of the type and use the fancy red type to drive your point home once again.

It seems many people including Marty missed the humor in your post and Marty commented on the hostility in your first post. You didn't point out to him in your reply that your references were supposed to be meant to be humorous and since he owns the site and you know that he's been here longer than 3 days, somehow he didn't see the humor either.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That is a total abuse of the moderating power, as I see it.
That would be true if this were a public forum. However, this is not a public forum. This is a privately owned forum that is for entertainment purposes only. Marty owns this forum and has invested a lot of time, energy, and money into the forum. Therefore, he can do things his way. End of discussion. You do not have a say in how Marty runs his site. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. It's really that simple.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Oh you just like to argue. Are we trying to protect innocent minds? I would argue (if I could be bothered, however I can't so I'll just state this) that an account of nearly choking to death on ones own drug induced vomit is not much of an endorsement and in fact does the opposite of encouraging drug use. And since it was specific to illegal substances I don't see much justification. So if someone starts eating themself to death is that taboo too? It's not illegal, but it's not particularly healthy. Or can we mention drugs as long as we follow this mention with a condemnation of them?

I see the government men in black suits coming for me. I say take me, or would have if I wasn't being gagged. Anywho I'm just typing for the sake of typing. As has been documented, when it comes to internet sites I appear to have an overwhelming sense of apathy. Continue.

My 1 cent. Like the regular two but I lost one in the car on the way over.
I could care less if the thread was deleted or not because I had no use for it, but it takes a stretch of the imagination to think that the folks who support this board with their money would want to waste it on the crap that was in that thread. Download AIM.

My 3 cents.

Old 08-25-2004, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus
I'm intrigued. You wouldn't happen to know a great deal about dual identities and secondary accounts per chance?
Old 08-25-2004, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

^------- Me, too!! I thought that was SUCH a slamola!!! Very funny....