Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default An interesting review of Rumours from 1977

New Musical Express is an international newspaper/magazine based in the UK. I have an issue dated February 12, 1977. In it are are two articles about Fleetwood Mac.

The first one (edited)

MAC'S DATES

Dates and venues have now been confirmed for Fleetwood Mac's first British concerts in several years, and their first ever in this country with their re-shaped line-up.
The band - whose current personnel comprises Mick Fleetwood. John McVie and Christine McVie, plus new members Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham -- will be promoting their new album 'Rumours', released by WEA this weekend. They will feature material from the Platinum album 'Fleetwood Mac', one of the top U.S. sellers of 1976.

SAY NOTHING SWEETLY

Fleetwood Mac, nigh on ten years ago the doyen of British blues bands, finally cracked the American market in Big Way last year, shifting over three million copies of the last album, simply titled 'Fleetwood Mac', from which was culled three hit singles. Moreover, they did it with music that bore no immediate resemblance to that which assured them a place in the annals of rock back in the late Sixties.

Fleetwood Mac's music is now a unique synthesis of the best elements of the late Sixties blues-rock (albeit an updated version of it) and Seventies California high pop.

And the two distinct forms act as a perfect tempering device for one another; in fact more so on this album, than on it's highly successful predecessor which, good as it was, hinted at blandness, the blight of much California rock. Producer Keith Olsen must take a fair share of responsibility for that album registering a reading on the blandometer, however slight, since he applied a similar approach to Cado Belle's first album.

Olsen is ignored for 'Rumours' and, instead, the band themselves, with the help of three engineers, have produced the follow-up -- although a much tougher-sounding record, without forsaking any of the group's lyricism in the process and certainly maximising their collective talent.

And what a lot of talent there is in this line-up, be it as players, songwriters or singers.

I doubt very much whether any one member of the band could produce a solo album of any particular worth, but together these five complement each other perfectly, bringing out the best and most creative parts in each.

Fleetwood Mac are ecletic, being perfectly able to work as an acoustic act (Lindsey Buckingham's exquisitly simple 'Never Going Back Again' and Christine's low-key ballad 'Songbird' with just her liquid piano and slight acoustic strumming from Buckingham are a perfect example of this), or a full-blown thinking electric rock band, as epitomised on the masterly single, Buckingham's 'Go Your Own Way' or Ms. Nicks' awesome 'The Chain'.

Both the aboved-mentioned songs are typical of the insidious quality that pervades the best of Fleetwood Mac songs. They don't hit you smack in the centre of your skull straight-away, but creep up on you and before you know it, the hook or another part of song is firmly lodged in your consciousness.

Neither Buckingham, McVie or Nicks are exceptionally gifted song-writers, but what talent they do possess in that field is always enhanced by the group arrangements, so that on 'The Chain' the whole thing comes to a gloriously heroic climax, courtesy of the massed guitars of Buckingham - the blues-rock connection.

Buckingham has a particular fondness for the kind of electric guitar motif Clapton and Harrison indulged in during the late Sixties. He's always an intelligent, inventive, and tasteful player, as is the redoubtable Mick Fleetwood whose imagination seems boundless-- and yet he, like Ringo, is fundamentally into simplicity and rarely fails to provide a resilient backbone to a song.

Back at the songs, each of the band's three writers know how to write a good melody, even if there are clear limitations to what they can come up with.

McVie's songs invariably hang around a few block chord changes worked out on the piano and yet performance of them transcends their limitations. And what a great singer she is, a voice so inherently saturated with feelinbg that makes the dumbest of lyrics sound convincing. Nicks too is an endearing singer with a voice somewhere between country and folk, adding more colour to a group already saturated with it.

The arrangements are well-crafted, without being contrived and although a lof of Los Angeles (the harmonies and the general ambience) is evident in what Fleetwood Mac do, it is not the smug, over-rich LA vibe contained in too many other LA-based artistes' work.

Like I said earlier, Fleetwood Mac have created a perfect balance between the LA sunshine approach and a tougher, altogether more English one. It doesn't matter if they're not saying anything, because their music is so obvioulsythe product of a pretty heady and loving internal chemisty.

Right, it makes you feel good.

Buy 'Rumours' in vast quantities -- you'll get more from it than the insular, contrived and even sanctimonious attitudes of one of LA's other recent offerings, The Eagles' 'Hotel California.' Fleetwood Mac on 'Rumours' are in very good shape indeed.

(The article is accompanied by a picture of Stevie looking slightly surprised. The caption reads: "Ooh look - we're getting another good review over in quaint old England. Does this mean I can have my swimming-pool now?")

The italicized lines are statements that I took some issue with.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 12-27-2011 at 12:53 AM..
Old 12-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I do have to agree with the reviewer about the 'White Album'... it is so polished and perfectly crafted that it really is quite bland. The only time I find myself putting it on these days is when I require some sort of inoffensive, soft background noise (ie: dinner music). It's definitely a good thing the band divorced themselves from Keith Olsen so quickly, even if they had to throw him under the bus to accomplish it.

Regarding the reviewer repeatedly driving home the point that this group of people are far better as a whole than their individual parts, I also have to agree. I'm so very glad we ended up getting a pretty decent body of solo work from Buckingham, McVie, and Nicks... but they're still best as a unit, IMO. I only wish we'd gotten more than 5 studio albums from the Rumours 5.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post

And what a lot of talent there is in this line-up, be it as players, songwriters or singers.

I doubt very much whether any one member of the band could produce a solo album of any particular worth,

Neither Buckingham, McVie or Nicks are exceptionally gifted song-writers,
This reviewer contradicts himself seemingly every other sentence.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Regarding the reviewer repeatedly driving home the point that this group of people are far better as a whole than their individual parts, I also have to agree. (
It's been said so often over the years, interesting to see it having been said so early on, before anyone really even knew what the "parts" could do alone.

Michele
Old 12-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think the reviewer is off the mark that much. He seems to represent a (then) fairly prevalent view of the band, perhaps a tad less generous than most, but ultimately positive.

His feelings about Olsen's production on the White Album have been mentioned before. Personally, I love the White Album production--it seems more like the songs were done live--but there's no question the band's attitude is definitely more confident on Rumours.

I'm wondering what in the italicized phrase about Christine you took issue with: the fact that her voice is "saturated with feeling" or that her song lyrics can be "dumb"?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I don't think the reviewer is off the mark that much. He seems to represent a (then) fairly prevalent view of the band, perhaps a tad less generous than most, but ultimately positive.

His feelings about Olsen's production on the White Album have been mentioned before. Personally, I love the White Album production--it seems more like the songs were done live--but there's no question the band's attitude is definitely more confident on Rumours.

I'm wondering what in the italicized phrase about Christine you took issue with: the fact that her voice is "saturated with feeling" or that her song lyrics can be "dumb"?
I didn't like the "dumb" reference. Usually critics reserve that term for Stevie's songs! I do love the dig the writer gave to the Eagles!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 12-27-2011 at 09:23 PM..
Old 12-28-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:

It's true tho, she can make a dumb line sound amazing. Stevie can too sometimes..
Old 12-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's true tho, she can make a dumb line sound amazing. Stevie can too sometimes..
Agreed on both accounts. "You made me a woman tonight." Yikes.

I think the most poetic lyricist the band ever had was Welch. And some of Stevie's early songs with the band have great lyrics.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think the most poetic lyricist the band ever had was Welch. And some of Stevie's early songs with the band have great lyrics.
I'm not familiar enough with Welch's lyrics to know, but I think my favorite lyricist from that group was Peter Green.

I'd cite a few favorite lyrics, but I can't find the lyrics section on this website. In fact, I can't find anything I'm looking for on this website. Bummer.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know! I just looked myself for the lyrics archive and couldn't find it. Weird.

When Green's lyrics were good they were really good: Oh Well, Man of the World, Rattlesnake Shake (for it's earthy with).
Old 01-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I do have to agree with the reviewer about the 'White Album'... it is so polished and perfectly crafted that it really is quite bland. The only time I find myself putting it on these days is when I require some sort of inoffensive, soft background noise (ie: dinner music). I
It's a great record for driving too and from the beach.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I'd cite a few favorite lyrics, but I can't find the lyrics section on this website. In fact, I can't find anything I'm looking for on this website. Bummer.
Here are the lyrics. http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/lyrics/index.html

Michele
Old 01-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know! I just looked myself for the lyrics archive and couldn't find it. Weird.
I usually go to fmlegacy and look at the lyrics there. The lyrics on this site need an overhaul, which is not affordable at this time.

Michele
Old 01-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I am not asking forever from you
I am just asking to be held for awhile
Any timeless face
For love that might place
Still we already caught it, I cried

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Still we already caught it, I cried
"Caught it" rather than "passed it"? That gives rise to new interpretations.

Michele