Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-08-2002, 06:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

lol ChilliD - you and your precious special tracking. i can just see you at home:
"Ah, track reprogramming. Is there anything you can't do? (sigh)"

lol!
Old 11-08-2002, 09:40 AM

Default Re: For people not wanting "already heard material"

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
It's stunning to me that people are COMPLAINING about artists having the nerve to release songs they've already made demos for! Imagine that! GASP! ... This whole mentality amazes me. Think about what you're saying, guys.
For my part I was not complaining. Nor do I believe anyone else complained.

Those of us who voted for new songs (meaning songs that have not been available on the web) were merely expressing a wish. It is a quite natural wish if your think about it. What fan doesn't want more and more music from a favorite band? Especially when that band has given very little by way of new music in more than 10 years?

Besides, like it or not, the GOS songs were published. Clandestinely? Yes. But they were effectively published. Therefore they will be "old" songs if they appear in the new album. Lastly, I would point out that most of those songs were NOT demos. They were mixed songs, most of which had not been mastered.

I remain steadfast in my wish that Lindsey puts some stuff in the new album that I have not heard, although I would love to get mastered versions of Down on Rodeo, Gift of Screws and Deep Dense.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm so glad to discover that others here don't like "Come." I thought I was the only one.
After I first downloaded the song, I listened to it once, with gritted teeth, and breathed a sigh of relief when it was finished. Since then, I haven't been able to bring myself to play it again. All I remember is a sludgey mess of screaming guitars and no discernable melody. Painful.
That said, I think all of the other GOS demos are wonderful. "Red Rover" is one of the most interesting songs I've heard in years. Of the Stones demos, "She Smiled Sweetly" and "Gotta Get Away" are my favorites.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm a real heretic-I don't like GYOW=:-)

Not real fond of "Come" but it will do I guess.

As to the new album, as others have said, what's "old" to us in terms of GOS will be new to most of the public. If we listen to bootlegs I guess it's our own fault if the music seems "old". Like right now, part of me wants to hear songs off the new album because I don't want to wait but another part of me knows that if I do the album won't seem as special. It's kinda like Christmas, y'know?

Having said that, this is what I hope makes it onto the new album from GOS:

Deep Dense
Somebody's Gotta Change Your Mind
Gotta Get Away
Say GoodBye
She Smiled Sweetly

Old 11-08-2002, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Therefore they will be "old" songs if they appear in the new album. Lastly, I would point out that most of those songs were NOT demos. They were mixed songs, most of which had not been mastered.
This is exactly why I haven't listened to anything from Gift of Screws. Well, besides one listen to a couple songs posted at sararhiannon.com a long time ago, and I don't really remember what I even listened to. I just knew these songs would end up going on the FM album, and so I decided to just wait and hear them on the new album. Whatever doesn't appear I might go back and listen to though. I exhausted a lot of the surprise with Trouble in Shangri-La before it came out, and I didn't want to do that again. So basically, when everyone speaks of Gift of Screws songs, I really have no opinion yet. I want this album to be ALMOST totally new to me when it comes out. I know I'll sneak in a listen or two to some songs, but mostly I'm going to REALLY restrain myself from the temptation of getting these songs before the album comes out.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: For people not wanting "already heard material"

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca

For my part I was not complaining. Nor do I believe anyone else complained.

Those of us who voted for new songs (meaning songs that have not been available on the web) were merely expressing a wish. It is a quite natural wish if your think about it. What fan doesn't want more and more music from a favorite band? Especially when that band has given very little by way of new music in more than 10 years?

Exactly what I meant. If you had the choice -new material or the GOS songs you already know... would you really choose the latter and renounce for some new stuff? And possibly waiting for years till the next album will be released( and will there be another one?) The more new material gets published, the better it is i.m.opinion. Nobody complained...
Old 11-08-2002, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

This is the second time I've seen the GOS songs referred to as being "mixed but not mastered". I think I understand mixed (putting all the separate tracks together to form the song), but what exactly is mastered? Thanks in advance to the audiophiles in the group!

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 11-09-2002, 06:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Mastering is making sure all the separate tracks still run together into a cohesive whole. To my limited knowledge, mixing is sonically engineering the arranged recordings which comprise a song, whereas mastering is sonically engineering the mixed tracks which comprise a CD. Thus when an old album has generally detiorated in quality or was intrinsically infoerior to CD fidelity, the album is re-mastered. "Please seek professional studio advice before acting on this information!"
Old 11-09-2002, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Count me as a "hater". The song is pure guitar masturbation; yeah, there's some great guitar TONES...but, as a "song", it's ka-ka...there's no structure whatsoever; it starts nowhere, goes nowhere and by the end, I have to celebrate that it's FINALLY over...once I've gotten through yakking.

Just assume that when the new album is released and I finally nab a copy, if "Come" is indeed included, it will get one listen...if it even resembles what was leaked out with the GOS tune; that's it...it'll therefore forever get skipped. I just pray to the "big guy" that it's not in their concert set next summer...just might have to use it as my "beer & potty break".
Haha...as much as I completely disagree with you about Come (I am a "lover"!! I love the mellow verses followed by the surprising loud choruses..."catches you off-guard" as LB would say, also see it in Play In The Rain and TITT), I'd be really interested to hear an ellaboration of what you've said. What do you mean by "it starts nowhere/goes nowhere"? Can you be a bit more specific?

Also, as someone else already pointed out, Come is definitely "This Is The Time" II....what do you think of "This Is The Time"?

Cheers

Old 11-09-2002, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wink 40 LASHES!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vianna
I'm a real heretic-I don't like GYOW=:-)
OMG!! *Grabbing my whip to give you 40 lashes!!*

LMAO! Just kidding. Hey, if ya don't like it, ya don't like it.

Who was it that said listening to Come made them think of "the wild thing" in that it starts off slow, then builds to a climax with that SEARING SOLO, then, you have an "aaahhh" moment at the end? I know I read it somewhere!! LOL Anywho, in today's music scene with all the sexually-themed songs, Come should fit RIGHT in!

Dude, I hit 1300! WOO!
Old 11-09-2002, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: 40 LASHES!!

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
Dude, I hit 1300! WOO!
And you only look 1000!

LOL!!!

Yeah, This is the Time and Come ... partners in atmosphericnoisepowerinyourfacerockelectricmadness!
Old 11-10-2002, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I REALLY like "Play In The Rain", I like "This Is The Time" so-so (which, to me, might as well be "Caroline" pt 2)

Those actually HAVE something...it's really nebulous and I can't put it into words..."Come" DOESN'T have it, never will. Sorry, that's the best I can do.

And, I see absolutely NO correllation between "Come" & "This Is The Time" or any other song.

Can we PLEASE now let this drop? I can't stand the friggin' song and I'm tired of having to defend my position about it. To me, the song DOES suck, and will ALWAYS suck. My ears, my opinion.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:03 AM
joe

Quote:
Can we PLEASE now let this drop? I can't stand the friggin' song and I'm tired of having to defend my position about it. To me, the song DOES suck, and will ALWAYS suck. My ears, my opinion.
But i STILL don't understand WHY you don't like the song???

HAHAHAHA!!! just kidding!
Old 11-11-2002, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I REALLY like "Play In The Rain", I like "This Is The Time" so-so (which, to me, might as well be "Caroline" pt 2)

Those actually HAVE something...it's really nebulous and I can't put it into words..."Come" DOESN'T have it, never will. Sorry, that's the best I can do.

And, I see absolutely NO correllation between "Come" & "This Is The Time" or any other song.

Sorry..didn't mean to pester!
Cheers for replying anyhoo.